Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 AM

124 posts, read 126,990 times

Advertisements

Training is not dropped, just the 8 hour rule because it makes sense to tailor the training to the owner's experience with guns. They all have to take the test still.

Background checks are not going away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 12:06 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
Also, let's not forget that a drivers license is considered a privilege. Gun ownership is a right so important it was included in the Bill of Rights second only to the amendment protecting speech, the press, religion, and petition...

Old 02-13-2014, 01:01 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
From what I've read and my understanding, open carry in the states that DO allow it isn't especially as prevalent as you might think. Overall, I don't oppose this materializing. All I know is, I that I plan on taking my concealed weapons class very soon and I will carry from time to time- concealed.

I think if you open carry, you're doing it for the attention; albeit positive or negative. I'm going to carry my pistol just in case the you know what hits the fan and there is no need to parade around with it holstered on my hip- although some people might see that as a deterrent to would be offenders of committing a crime or even a public shooting that has been prevalent lately. It'll be interesting to see how this goes forward.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:16 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
From what I've read and my understanding, open carry in the states that DO allow it isn't especially as prevalent as you might think. Overall, I don't oppose this materializing. All I know is, I that I plan on taking my concealed weapons class very soon and I will carry from time to time- concealed.

I think if you open carry, you're doing it for the attention; albeit positive or negative. I'm going to carry my pistol just in case the you know what hits the fan and there is no need to parade around with it holstered on my hip- although some people might see that as a deterrent to would be offenders of committing a crime or even a public shooting that has been prevalent lately. It'll be interesting to see how this goes forward.
yeah i too plan on taking the class in the next couple months, regardless if i then walk with something or not. I myself dont think I mind open carry, being from a different state that while hunting is sacred (WI) it wasnt until somewhat recently that conceal carry was an option there and i've never been in a location where people do walk around with a gun on their hip. Well except for when i'm at the PSA range lol. But just not sure how i'd feel on the street.
But someone with a visible sidearm doesnt mean i'm suddenly 100% comfortable in that surrounding; I dont know that person, what their experience or training consisted of, or even what their frame of mind is. And we all know it's impossible to legislate frame of mind.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:18 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstone View Post
They are still doing background checks and ex-felons are not allowed to own them. There is also still training just not the 8 hour requirement for everybody.
That's what the NEW bill wants to eliminate. So, if you buy a pistol from your neighbor, you don't have a background check, or permit, or any training, and she wants you to be able to strap it on your belt and walk downtown proudly displaying your firearm open to the public. With no training. Or background check. Brilliant.

Lee Bright, Republican, Spartanburg, wants it to go even further. HE says even convicted felons should be able to carry. Seriously, look it up.

The GOP is going full bizarre whacko mode on us.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
That's what the NEW bill wants to eliminate. So, if you buy a pistol from your neighbor, you don't have a background check, or permit, or any training, and she wants you to be able to strap it on your belt and walk downtown proudly displaying your firearm open to the public. With no training. Or background check. Brilliant.

Lee Bright, Republican, Spartanburg, wants it to go even further. HE says even convicted felons should be able to carry. Seriously, look it up.

The GOP is going full bizarre whacko mode on us.
Yeah thankfully they aren't in power at the federal level.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
There is still training, it just isn't a rigid 8 hour requirement for everybody. Ex military guys shouldn't have to do 8 hours of training.
WHY?

They don't even shoot guns in the Navy anymore in boot camp. And if a recruit goes to a desk job, he may go 20 years without shooting a fun.

Should an Air Force secretary or cook or dentist...who retires at 38, but hasn't shot a gun since boot camp, need a refresher?

8 hours is a JOKE anyway. Should be 80 hours. Guns aren't a joke, they aren't a video game. They're deadly. Even guys in military combat jobs or police SWAT teams, who train a LOT with shooting, still usually do average at best in their first real live shooting incident.

Bubba who got a 90 minute CWP 'lesson' down the road in someone's backyard does NOT need to be firing rounds inside an Applebees to "stand his ground". Innocent people will get hit. And like the Tampa movie theater shooting, the bad guy probably wont even be found to have been a real threat.

Lots of Bubbas with itchy trigger fingers. They should go enlist if they wanna trade rounds that bad.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
But someone with a visible sidearm doesnt mean i'm suddenly 100% comfortable in that surrounding; I dont know that person, what their experience or training consisted of, or even what their frame of mind is. And we all know it's impossible to legislate frame of mind.
Or the psycho standing in line next to him, who couldn't buy a gun of his own to shoot up the mall because he couldn't pass the background check, but now sees a big shiny weapon on the guy's belt that he could steal and start shooting people.

Sometimes I think SC Republicans daydream that they live in Tombstone, AZ in the 1800's.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
WHY?

They don't even shoot guns in the Navy anymore in boot camp. And if a recruit goes to a desk job, he may go 20 years without shooting a fun.

Should an Air Force secretary or cook or dentist...who retires at 38, but hasn't shot a gun since boot camp, need a refresher?

8 hours is a JOKE anyway. Should be 80 hours. Guns aren't a joke, they aren't a video game. They're deadly. Even guys in military combat jobs or police SWAT teams, who train a LOT with shooting, still usually do average at best in their first real live shooting incident.

Bubba who got a 90 minute CWP 'lesson' down the road in someone's backyard does NOT need to be firing rounds inside an Applebees to "stand his ground". Innocent people will get hit. And like the Tampa movie theater shooting, the bad guy probably wont even be found to have been a real threat.

Lots of Bubbas with itchy trigger fingers. They should go enlist if they wanna trade rounds that bad.
I be more worried about you having a gun than your theoritical "Bubba". You are too emotional for no reason.

Guns aren't that complicated. 80 hours of training? Geez. You act like it is rocket science but if you figured it out , pretty much anybody can.

You are wrong about the permit going away. You still need to have a concealed weapon permit to carry one into a bar and most bars aren't going to allow them anyway so this is much ado about nothing.

Research has proven that areas where more of the law abiding citizens own guns there is less crime.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I be more worried about you having a gun than your theoritical "Bubba". You are too emotional for no reason.

Guns aren't that complicated. 80 hours of training? Geez.

You are wrong about the permit going away. You still need to have a concealed weapon permit to carry one into a bar and most bars aren't going to allow them anyway so this is much ado about nothing.

Research has proven that areas where more of the law abiding citizens own guns there is less crime.
Hey idiot, read the original post. The no permit law is one being proposed.....as in future tense....by Spartanburg Republican Lee Bright, and one that Nikki Haley verbally supported.

Yes, at least 80 hours of training. If they are so simple, why to the military and police spend so much time training with them?

Going in the backyard with Uncle Bubba and plinking some Pepsi cans is NOT "training".

That research is mostly spurious.

Most places that strict gun laws passed......ALREADY had high crime. Hence the push for the law.
Areas with little gun crime....never had a reason to pass strict gun laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina