Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:21 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,032 times

Advertisements

So, Haley signed the "Bars and Guns" law into law. But, she added she supports a new proposed law, proposed by Spartanburg Republican Lee Bright, which would legalize open carry of guns in SC, with NO training, NO permit, NO background check, and no requirement to conceal the gun.

That's right. That means if you walk through downtown Charleston, then the guy walking down the street can have a fully loaded .45 caliber pistol, exposed on his hip Old Wild West style, and he can do so without every having a single hour of training, without having to get a permit, and without having his criminal background be checked.

No surprise an upstate Republican proposed such an insane law. Or, that Haley....lobbying for all the far right votes...would support it.

Lee Bright said the "no training" required rule isn't important, because as he says, parents pass down their gun handling skills to their kids.

Well Lee, maybe in rural upstate areas they do. But when the ghettos of North Charleston and Columbia are full of people who can now pack heat, openly, with no permit or background check or training.....well, even Republicans should be able to see why that's bad. Then again...maybe they cant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 06:24 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
yeah i saw that the other day. I'm newer to gun ownership and plan to at least take the course for a permit even if i dont actually carry as I believe it is a good idea to learn as much as I can. And being noew to this all, my opinions on guns overall has changed over the years. I'm fully behind the right for those to carry, but much like driving there needs to be education (and for some it seems, more education). It is not that high of a cost to apply for the permit, the class often costing more. If one cant afford a permit, then these days they cant afford the ammo or the weapon either. If they have nothing to hide then a background check is not an issue. I also dont walk the path of those who dont want the gov't to know anything about their lives and what they do or own.

So until someone can intelligently show why it is a good idea to allow anyone to be able to walk in, buy a handgun, and keep it on themselves at all times...... well until that happens i'll be against this little bill.

just my .02

Old 02-13-2014, 07:32 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
It might just prove something you may not like, but that armed citizenry become a polite society.
Criminals love the gun laws ,it provides them more sheep for the fleecing .
When in history has a criminal obeyed a law ?
So creating more gun laws does not serve the public, it serves the criminal and the criminal justice system.( Lawyers bread and butter) so criminals can have their own justice.
Victims are still the looser .
Parents of criminals are the one pushing Obama and the democrats for gun laws .
Are you one of these parents ?

Old 02-13-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
It might just prove something you may not like, but that armed citizenry become a polite society.
Criminals love the gun laws ,it provides them more sheep for the fleecing .
When in history has a criminal obeyed a law ?
So creating more gun laws does not serve the public, it serves the criminal and the criminal justice system.( Lawyers bread and butter) so criminals can have their own justice.
Victims are still the looser .
Parents of criminals are the one pushing Obama and the democrats for gun laws .
Are you one of these parents ?
uh, SC already allows for conceal carry, there isnt a push to ban guns here rather the gov just signed a bill allowing cc in restaraunts and bars (owners have the ability not to allow them in their biz). So i dont see this as something taking away rights, in fact it's the opposite.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:01 AM

124 posts, read 127,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
yeah i saw that the other day. I'm newer to gun ownership and plan to at least take the course for a permit even if i dont actually carry as I believe it is a good idea to learn as much as I can. And being noew to this all, my opinions on guns overall has changed over the years. I'm fully behind the right for those to carry, but much like driving there needs to be education (and for some it seems, more education). It is not that high of a cost to apply for the permit, the class often costing more. If one cant afford a permit, then these days they cant afford the ammo or the weapon either. If they have nothing to hide then a background check is not an issue. I also dont walk the path of those who dont want the gov't to know anything about their lives and what they do or own.

So until someone can intelligently show why it is a good idea to allow anyone to be able to walk in, buy a handgun, and keep it on themselves at all times...... well until that happens i'll be against this little bill.

just my .02
They are still doing background checks and ex-felons are not allowed to own them. There is also still training just not the 8 hour requirement for everybody.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:27 AM

343 posts, read 726,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
So, Haley signed the "Bars and Guns" law into law. But, she added she supports a new proposed law, proposed by Spartanburg Republican Lee Bright, which would legalize open carry of guns in SC, with NO training, NO permit, NO background check, and no requirement to conceal the gun.

That's right. That means if you walk through downtown Charleston, then the guy walking down the street can have a fully loaded .45 caliber pistol, exposed on his hip Old Wild West style, and he can do so without every having a single hour of training, without having to get a permit, and without having his criminal background be checked.

No surprise an upstate Republican proposed such an insane law. Or, that Haley....lobbying for all the far right votes...would support it.

Lee Bright said the "no training" required rule isn't important, because as he says, parents pass down their gun handling skills to their kids.

Well Lee, maybe in rural upstate areas they do. But when the ghettos of North Charleston and Columbia are full of people who can now pack heat, openly, with no permit or background check or training.....well, even Republicans should be able to see why that's bad. Then again...maybe they cant.
I am a firearms owner and NRA member. I believe very strongly in our Second Amendment rights. Having said that, just as with anything else, along with rights come responsibilities. If I am going to have a weapon, concealed or especially open-carry, I need to have the proper training in how to use the weapon, the legal ramifications of using the weapon, and the proper mindset with which I carry myself in public. To set anyone loose with a firearm who hasn't been trained could be as potentially dangerous as allowing them to drive a car, fly a plane, or use pesticides or explosives without the training needed.

I have no problem with open-carry so long as that person as demonstrated their ability to operate that weapon and conduct themselves according to the law. Just as I would expect the auto coming toward me to be operated by someone who has been trained to drive it safely. After it's not guns that harm people, it is the person behind the gun.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:32 AM

There is still training, it just isn't a rigid 8 hour requirement for everybody. Ex military guys shouldn't have to do 8 hours of training.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:35 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,052,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyterp View Post
I am a firearms owner and NRA member. I believe very strongly in our Second Amendment rights. Having said that, just as with anything else, along with rights come responsibilities. If I am going to have a weapon, concealed or especially open-carry, I need to have the proper training in how to use the weapon, the legal ramifications of using the weapon, and the proper mindset with which I carry myself in public. To set anyone loose with a firearm who hasn't been trained could be as potentially dangerous as allowing them to drive a car, fly a plane, or use pesticides or explosives without the training needed.

I have no problem with open-carry so long as that person as demonstrated their ability to operate that weapon and conduct themselves according to the law. Just as I would expect the auto coming toward me to be operated by someone who has been trained to drive it safely. After it's not guns that harm people, it is the person behind the gun.
Great post and exactly right. This would be no different than just letting people buy a car and driving it without any training. Carrying a weapon is an awesome responsiblity and not everyone can handle it. Training, background checks and permits should be mandatory.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:02 AM

"Rep. Mike Pitts (R-Laurens) is a CWP instructor who wrote the House version of the bill. He says it’s so instructors won’t have to go into great detail on the mundane fundamentals of firearms with experienced gun owners. “I can teach the class to experienced folks in seven hours,” he says. “It may take me 12 hours [for] a group that’s not experienced.” For instance, in a class of experienced applicants, Pitts could tell them to keep their finger outside the trigger guard without having to explain what the trigger guard is and what the trigger does. The new law “simply eliminates the specific eight-hour time limit so you’re not simply looking at the clock waiting for eight hours to go by," he says. And students will still be tested before they can earn a certificate."

From New S.C. gun law will strip mandatory 8-hour training requirement | The Battery | Charleston City Paper

But , please going on about how we need training even though it isn't being eliminated.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:15 AM

i may be wrong, but i thought there were 2 different measures on this. The 1st being what Haley signed this week allowing carry in bars/eateries (and the 8hr minimum dropped), and a 2nd different measure that's been pending for a bit is what Bright proposed, that being the open carry and (depending on how it's read) what will or will not be required for checks and training if a permit isnt needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina