Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 01:30 PM

231 posts, read 576,635 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone in SC has done a name change without using an attorney? I have gathered most of the paperwork together and will be submitting my form to the clerk soon. I just have a few questions. On the filing paperwork, it lists a section for plaintiff and defendant. I'm assuming I would be the defendant, but who is the plaintiff?

The form also says if you don't use an attorney, you need to know "the steps involved in having your legal action move through the court system." And that once you file the paperwork, "the follow up steps are your responsibility and you will not receive any info from the clerk of courts office in the process." They of course won't help you at all in filling out the forms. As far as I know, after I submit it, I'm supposed to get something notifying me of when my hearing will be. I don't know what other steps I would have to take after that? Has anyone gone though this process and can shed some light?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 06:34 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Actually, you would be the plaintiff since you're the one who's petitioning for something. In California you can use any name you like as long as the purpose is not to defraud. If all you're doing is resuming your maiden name or something like that I would talk to Legal Aid to see if you really have to file court papers. In California and other states you can but do-it-yourself books from Nolo Press that take you step by step through the procedures. (I used one for my divorce.)Unfortunately they don't publish one for South Carolina. I noticed there are some firms that handle this, if you Google. You'd have to talk to them to find out if they are really experts or just typists. Good Luck! And let us know how it turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina