Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:40 PM
NDL

4,502 posts, read 5,584,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
I hold contempt for the completely insane, radical right wing who is controlling
And the above concerns are substantiated by the fact that abortions are banned in SC; smoking is permitted in York County restaurants, and York County is a dry County.

Surely I jest...

In *no* way am I an apologist for the GOP, but let's get real here : political polarization benefits no one.

The thing I appreciate about Lee Bright, is the fact that he will put his State's needs first. Far too many politicians act to the detriment of their constituence.

Example: "Free" trade pacts that have gutted the South of her once thriving textile industry.

This nonsense has to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 03:11 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,400,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
And the above concerns are substantiated by the fact that abortions are banned in SC; smoking is permitted in York County restaurants, and York County is a dry County.

Surely I jest...

In *no* way am I an apologist for the GOP, but let's get real here : political polarization benefits no one.

The thing I appreciate about Lee Bright, is the fact that he will put his State's needs first. Far too many politicians act to the detriment of their constituence.

Example: "Free" trade pacts that have gutted the South of her once thriving textile industry.

This nonsense has to stop.
No, he doesn't. He puts the WANTS of the extreme right first.

Our state NEEDS better infrastructure, better police departments, better schools, less violent crime, a better DOT, jobs that don't involving pouring waffle batter or opening a cash register, we NEED more people with health insurance so they stop freeloading at the ER........and many many other things.

We don't NEED more guns on the street. Or fewer abortions (not saying we need more, just that its not a government issue to me). Or MORE uninsured people.

He is going to bow down to the extreme rights WANTS. Not our state's needs.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:42 PM

243 posts, read 281,460 times
Quote:
Our state NEEDS better infrastructure, better police departments, better schools, less violent crime, a better DOT, jobs that don't involving pouring waffle batter or opening a cash register, we NEED more people with health insurance so they stop freeloading at the ER........and many many other things.
you are right about all of those things. But democrats answer to fixing those problems always seems to be more money. you can throw all the money in the world at a school but if they kids and parents don't value an education then it isn't going to help.

Money can't solve a problem when isn't the reason there is a problem. when a conservative says wait a minute lets see if there is a better way to go about fixing a problem rather than just throwing some more money at it they automatically get labeled as being against better school, infrastructure,etc.

How are we going to get more jobs that don't involve pouring waffle batter or opening a cash register without giving the companies or people who are creating those jobs without giving them a reason to do so. Assuming our wonderfully educated and trained populace isn't reason enough.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:01 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,400,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock303 View Post
you are right about all of those things. But democrats answer to fixing those problems always seems to be more money. you can throw all the money in the world at a school but if they kids and parents don't value an education then it isn't going to help.

Money can't solve a problem when isn't the reason there is a problem. when a conservative says wait a minute lets see if there is a better way to go about fixing a problem rather than just throwing some more money at it they automatically get labeled as being against better school, infrastructure,etc.

How are we going to get more jobs that don't involve pouring waffle batter or opening a cash register without giving the companies or people who are creating those jobs without giving them a reason to do so. Assuming our wonderfully educated and trained populace isn't reason enough.
Funding is only part of the solution. You are right. But, lack of funding can have a bad negative impact. If the answer was less funding, then lets slash budgets for schools and police in half, and watch education and crime rates improve, right?

We fell behind decades ago, and there is no easy fix.

I actually do support tax breaks for big companies coming here. But, just don't slash cops and teacher's funding to do it.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 PM

12,757 posts, read 18,569,433 times
It's called the Democratic Party.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:20 PM
NDL

4,502 posts, read 5,584,907 times
Quote:
Our state NEEDS better infrastructure
Where, specifically, is it lacking? New York City has millions more people, yet it's highways have six travel lanes; I-77 has eight.

Quote:
better police departments
Better in what way?

Quote:
better schools
Our district is well equipped, although teachers aren't paid enough.

Quote:
a better DOT
SC is better than what we had in NY.

Quote:
jobs that don't involving pouring waffle batter or opening a cash register
It's a Nationwide epidemic, largely brought about by "free" trade agreements brought about by both parties.

Quote:
we NEED more people with health insurance
Thought that objection was resolved at the Federal level?

Quote:
We don't NEED more guns on the street
Is the State of South Carolina passing around free pistols?

Old 02-27-2014, 11:06 PM

243 posts, read 281,460 times
Quote:
Funding is only part of the solution. You are right. But, lack of funding can have a bad negative impact. If the answer was less funding, then lets slash budgets for schools and police in half, and watch education and crime rates improve, right?

We fell behind decades ago, and there is no easy fix.
Lack of funding may be an issue, but there are bigger issues. Poor funding choices are a bigger problem...new computers and Ipads in every class room aren't really going to do much if a kid can't read. They also aren't going to do much good if you have teachers who don't know what the hell they are talking about. When I was in high school I had a teacher who taught an Honors level class (was the highest level class that my school offered in that particular subject) who routinely had no clue what she was talking about.

Please don't take me as saying computers are bad but I have seen first hand how some school districts think technology and shiny new things will magically somehow fix problems. There is no reason that teachers, as underpaid as they are with all the crap they have to put up with, should be having to pull money out of their pockets to pay for basic classroom supplies while the school districts are throwing money at unnecessary crap just because it looks good on paper.

The biggest problem our schools face isn't with funding, it is with our society. Little to no personal responsibility seems to be left anywhere in the world anymore. The everyone's a winner mentality has left kids unable to or at the very least unfamiliar with dealing with adversity once they enter the real world and struggling to adjust. We have gone too far over trying to fix problems we have had as a society in the past and theses "fixes" have just created new ones.

Fixing the problems with our society will do far more for our schools (and police departments) than money by itself will ever do. Money is the easy "solution," it allows us to stay in denial about real issues we face while we pat ourselves on the back for "fixing it."

Quote:
I actually do support tax breaks for big companies coming here. But, just don't slash cops and teacher's funding to do it
to be fare you can't slash funding that you don't already have. If presented the choice between $1,000,000 in tax revenue from a big company coming in after the tax breaks (not to mention the increased revenue from the income taxes from new jobs or $0 from them not coming here we would be stupid not to take the $1,000,000 (+) every time.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:23 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,533,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That was my impression too but oddly enough I kept reading article after article of people proclaiming Colbert-Busch would win (usually national and NOT local articles). I had the same thoughts then as I do now about people predicting South Carolina will turn blue - nope not gonna happen.

The ONLY way I could see South Carolina turning blue is if the Democrat party suddenly decided to forgo it's progressive bent and return to the Democrat policies of old. However, the Democrats seem increasingly more progressive with each year and thus that seems highly unlikely as well.

I do think the political divide in this country and not only South Carolina will increase if the left continues to become more progressive and the right continues to become more libertarian. Those truly are polar opposites of one another, especially where government spending and intrusion into citizens' lives are concerned.
Wait...did you just call republicans becoming more 'libertarian'? Lmao!!!

They attack personal freedom and wrap that up as conservatism. True conservatism, fiscal policy, makes them more liberal than most dems unless it comes to jobs or infrastructure.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:17 AM

35 posts, read 42,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_of_Liberty View Post
This is a positive and optimistic indicator for me.

I have personally witnessed "liberals" relentlessly undermine our most important traditions and principles like jealous, angry children who need to break things and hurt others to get their revenge. They have a deep rage against anything traditional, and work tirelessly to destroy it, likely in order to assuage their insecurities. Inside the "social progressive" who has been opposing my liberties for decades is, in reality, the statist totalitarian. I am living among them daily, and they are ruinous to communities, and anything or anyone remotely traditional is a target.

Consider yourself very fortunate if you have not had to live under the boot of the Left (yet) but do not become complacent, because the radical Left is mobile and will be coming to your neighborhood if you make it welcoming for them.

I don't care if other people smoke dope or marry their own gender, but these people never, ever stop there. They are statists.

A conservative populace is, simply, a firewall against statism. And even more importantly, it is the last fortress of the belief that ones rights come from something that no mere, corrupt human in a suit with a law degree can strip away by illegitimate, capricious decree.
Amen,Tree of Liberty! I too live under the boot of the Left here in the People's Republic of Vermont, and they are the most intolerant of human species. Hoping to retire to South Carolina, and hoping she remains deep red. And, I am not concerned about Big Business picking my pockets, as one poster said. I can avoid them. But, I cannot avoid having the ubiquitous FEDS taking what I worked for at the barrel of a gun.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:22 PM

14,200 posts, read 14,574,865 times
Awesome jargon in some of the posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina