U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 12:34 PM

4,084 posts, read 9,516,311 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Myrtle Beach area of SC and while looking at houses noticed some fire ant hills. Our realtor said they sting if they bite, don't go near them. Can somene give more information about fire ants and what other bugs to watch out for in our yard? We have dogs and were planning on installing a doggy door, is that a bad idea to let the dogs run free in the backyard? Also, if we use poison to get rid of them, what's the best and is it dangerous for the dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 02:48 PM

890 posts, read 2,943,728 times
Fire ants can be extremely dangerous, especially if you are allergic. People have died from fire ant bites. The thing about fire ants is they kinda sneak up on you. You can be standing in a mound and not even realize it until you feel them start to bite you. By then you usually have many crawling all over you and getting bit several times is not uncommon. I have had to rip my socks and shoes off in record timing before because they get inside them. The bites itch, swell up and ooze for days. They have a spread now that you can put down in your yard to prevent them. You will need to reapply it to your yard once about every 3 months. We have used it and it has worked. As far as pets go, my dog has been bitten by fire ants before. She didn't have a reaction from it. We usually keep her off the lawn for a while until it is watered in and dried. It's never been a problem.

There is also a powder that you can sprinkle on the mound to kill the queen, but this basically just causes the mound to move to another location. The powder just lays on top of the mound and stays there so I guess it could be possible for a dog to get into it if given the chance.

As far as other bugs go, we had a problem with underground yellow jacket hives this summer. We got bit several times out working in the yard.

Can't really think of anything else right now besides the annoying moles that tear up the yard.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:11 PM

664 posts, read 1,280,173 times
Fire ants actually have a way of signalling each other, so they all bite at once (after a number of them are on you) We use Amdro here in FL, and it seems to work pretty well, but you have to keep your pets from eating it. A friend of ours had a dog that nearly died from fire ant bites. If a person or pet gets stung by a large number of them, you need to get medical help, pronto.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:09 PM

65 posts, read 184,187 times
I am itching from fire ant bites as we speak. Yes they are sneaky and yes, they all bite at one time. First they burn, then they itch like crazy. The sting forms a pustule at the itching stage and you want to rip your skin off.
The mounds are easily treated. I do bug patrol here in FL every wk. They are not bad in the summer but they are gearing up now as they like the dry season.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:34 PM

4,084 posts, read 9,516,311 times
Thanks for the info. and I guess I won't know if I'm allergic until I'm bit. Do they also get in your house?

What is bug patrol? Does that mean you are an exterminator?

Please tell me once I move what I could do to keep all bugs outdoors.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:48 PM

890 posts, read 2,943,728 times
I never knew that about them signaling each other, no wonder they all bite at once. Trust me, you'll know when you are bit. That's when your heart jumps and you realize uh oh, I'm standing in a fire ant mound only to look down and see them swarming at your feet. Thousands of them.

I've never had them in the house. Best thing you can do is have your house sprayed regularly for bugs and keep your yard under control for the fire ants.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:03 PM

2,357 posts, read 318,460 times
fire ants are notoriously difficult to control. think of it like an insect jihad - you can eliminate the mound, and it will pop up somewhere else, maybe in the neighbor's yard.

http://fireant.tamu.edu/
Texas A&M fire ant project. has excellent information on fire ant control, safety, etc. Includes the "texas two step" method of fire ant prevention.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:38 AM

3,542 posts, read 9,013,612 times
Wink possible solution to fire ant problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
We are moving to Myrtle Beach area of SC and while looking at houses noticed some fire ant hills. Our realtor said they sting if they bite, don't go near them. Can somene give more information about fire ants and what other bugs to watch out for in our yard? We have dogs and were planning on installing a doggy door, is that a bad idea to let the dogs run free in the backyard? Also, if we use poison to get rid of them, what's the best and is it dangerous for the dogs?

Texas Imported Fire Ant Research and Management Project Here is a website i found regauarding fire ants. i saw on fox news this morning that an ant called the raspberry ant or better known as the crazy ant will kill the fire ants. if you google raspberry ant you can find out more about them.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:36 PM

221 posts, read 650,586 times
I'm not sure the percentages, but allergies to Fire Ants are fairly low. I think it is similar to folks that are allergic to bee stings, so if you know you're allergic to bee stings then you are probably fairly likely to be allergic to fire ants. Keep one of the eppy pens around and you'll be prepared if you go into allergic shock.

They generally stay in their mounds. They don't really come in the house any more than normal ants. If you leave food on the floor and the door open, I'm sure they'd march in and get it, but if you maintain a minimum amount of sanitation, you'll be fine in the house.

As a kid I remember kicking the tops off the mounds to watch them go. Yeah they give you little bumps if they sting, but the stings obviously weren't enough to detur a little boy from watching them scatter when you stomp on the mound. They have some newer poison you can use that works longer than 3 months. Some are better than other though. I remember we tried several growing up, and the small can of white powder (I think it was amdro) was the best. They have bags of stuff that aren't as dangerous, but they don't work as well. This little can of white stuff stunk really bad and was supposedly more dangerous for kids and such, but a little teaspoon full was enough to take out the mound. Then I'd run them over with the lawn mower for good measure. That was probably just the little boy in me again, but it made a heck of a dust cloud...

Old 05-15-2008, 03:12 PM

3,542 posts, read 9,013,612 times
Exclamation Fire Ants

According to that website, fire ants are mostly in texas than anywhere else. but i saw what i descrided above and they said those ants eat fire ants . so i found it to be very good information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina