U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:43 AM

2,988 posts, read 5,629,728 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I mostly post in the New York forum but I wanted to announce that the "Keep it Made in America" Town Hall meeting is coming to the Rock Hill area (The Freedom Center, 215 E. Main Street), on December 12, 2007.

I went to the one in Buffalo last week, as posted here. If anyone is going, please reply back with your thoughts and/or pictures of the event.

http://fedup.wnymedia.net/blogs/files/2007/12/kimia2.JPG (broken link)

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 08:57 PM

372 posts, read 808,265 times
Default Thanks for letting us know about the event

Thanks so much for the post, Fedup. I would not have otherwise known about this event. This subject is VERY close to this household's heart. I'll try to attend. This post would be appropriate in the York-Lancaster County sub-forum of SC forum, as RH is in York County. Again, thanks for letting us know.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanRoadGirl View Post
Thanks so much for the post, Fedup. I would not have otherwise known about this event. This subject is VERY close to this household's heart. I'll try to attend. This post would be appropriate in the York-Lancaster County sub-forum of SC forum, as RH is in York County. Again, thanks for letting us know.
I'm from Buffalo, NY and didn't know what county it's in If you go, let me know what you think.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:07 AM

4,732 posts, read 13,573,325 times
Thanks for the info FedUp. I was Fed up with WNY too so I came to Charlotte. Most of my Christmas gifts this year will be American made. They are out there.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:38 PM

FedUp, will do re letting you know what I think about the event. Groove, you are right on the money re American-made products. They ARE out there. We're doing the same thing re gifts, gift wrap, cards. The folks I give the gifts to really dig it, too.

The out-of-state foodies and tea drinkers on my list were the easiest to shop for. I went with some great, classic, SC-made products I have found locally. Here are a couple of them, available online, too...

Carolina Plantation rice from the Plumfield Plantation on the Pee Dee River Retail Store Locations for Aromatic White Rice, Brown Rice, Stone Ground Grits, Cowpeas, Rice Cookers from Carolina Rice Plantation (http://www.carolinaplantationrice.com/locations/ - broken link)

American Classic Tea from the Charleston Tea Plantation on Wadmalaw Island, SC (now owned by Bigelow teas and known as the Charleston Tea Gardens)
Bigelow Tea - Charleston Tea Gardens (http://www.bigelowtea.com/act/ - broken link)

Purchased US-made brown postal wrap for gifts at the Dollar Tree in protest as, up until that point, all the wrap I was seeing in the stores was made in China. Later I noticed gift wrap and Christmas cards at Sprawl-Mart actually made in the US. I almost fell over in shock.

Ya'll made my day with your posts! Have a good one.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:44 PM

4,732 posts, read 13,573,325 times
I saw a nice travel trunk made in the USA at Walmart too.

Here are some places I shop:

American Apparel - T-Shirts - Wholesale T-Shirts (warning: racy ads and for the younger crowd. They have a reatil store in South End about 200 ft from Camden St station off of the blue line).

Welcome to Target and search for American Made Plastics.

Hasbro: Almost alll Hasbro games such as Candyland and Monopoly are made in the USA.

New Balance carries a couple of their high end shoes which are made in the USA.

All American Clothing:Clothes Made in the USA:Union Made Clothing use UFCW for 5% off.

Home

Anagramania word game available at Above and Beyond board games in tegay Cay next to Red Bowl.

Still Made in USA.com - Toys and Games

Oh, and I buy Florida Crystals sugar or Sugar in the Raw. The latter is made in Hawaii.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:33 PM

11,023 posts, read 15,727,090 times
Great links.....thanks
I will be using them

Old 12-05-2007, 09:27 PM

1,708 posts, read 3,730,427 times
Yes, thanks for the links. Today I was looking at toys for my almost 2 yr old niece and every one of them said "Made in China." So I decided to look online tonight to see what kind of toys are made in the USA.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:25 AM

Great links, Groove. RE Toys... After posting above, I read an Associated Press article in the RH Herald yesterday that reported on tests conducted on toys (mostly still on store shelves) by a coalition of environmental health groups from across the country - tests for lead and harmful chemicals. They tested over 1,200 children's products and found that 35% contained lead and many had levels far above the federal recall standard used for lead paint. Mattel's own tests on the toys they recalled from China found that the toys had lead levels up to 200 times the acceptable limit.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanRoadGirl View Post
FedUp, will do re letting you know what I think about the event. Groove, you are right on the money re American-made products. They ARE out there. We're doing the same thing re gifts, gift wrap, cards. The folks I give the gifts to really dig it, too.
I'm so happy this is being discussed. One of the things John Ratzenberger mentioned (while in Buffalo) was the days when people made their our Christmas gifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina