Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:02 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Let's see Boeing's non-union workers living in the Charleston area save up enough money for a decent retirement on South Carolina wages with no pensions in their future.

Boeing to end pension plans for 68K employees
They're going to a 401k, the same as many, many other employees, even in union heavy states. I see nothing to be alarmed about with this type of profit sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 07:25 AM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
They're going to a 401k, the same as many, many other employees, even in union heavy states. I see nothing to be alarmed about with this type of profit sharing.
Not if an employee is able to deny himself or herself a big chunk of money out of each pay period to invest while hoping the stock market doesn't drop. It will take a LOT of investing over a LONG time and a very cooperative stock market to equal what a modest pension would pay in retirement.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:16 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Not if an employee is able to deny himself or herself a big chunk of money out of each pay period to invest while hoping the stock market doesn't drop. It will take a LOT of investing over a LONG time and a very cooperative stock market to equal what a modest pension would pay in retirement.
How do you suppose this pension fund is consistently beating the stock market? I want to put my 401k where that pension fund is putting their money.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:10 PM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
So far so good recently.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 905 times
Sounds like we got a load a yankees up in here. BMW is paying their people and growing just fine as Im sure Boeing will also. What kind of moron would think working at non union Boeing would be bad? Oh sorry forgot talking to yankees here. Look if things are so bad here why are you here. Um lets see no jobs maybe the unions priced you out of a job. Or maybe the crime rate is out of control. Yall might think we're backward but the way I was raised you don't go into another persons house and start complaining about how they cook or the way they talk. Its just rude and we dont need that here so if its that distasteful then please by all means leave. Last time I checked those highways run both directions.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:21 PM

486 posts, read 996,897 times
One of the people who created 401K was on the news recently. He said it was never designed to replace the traditional defined pension but to supplement it. He said if he knew at the time how much it would actually harm rather then help he never would have helped develope it. I am neither pro or anti union but it should be up to the workers to decide if they want to unionize or not, not Haley. Her comments did seem to come off as anti worker to me. Instead of bashing unions she should encourage companies to treat employees fairly so they don't want or need unions.

Last edited by Barbara; 03-20-2014 at 09:32 PM..

Old 03-21-2014, 08:32 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
One of the people who created 401K was on the news recently. He said it was never designed to replace the traditional defined pension but to supplement it. He said if he knew at the time how much it would actually harm rather then help he never would have helped develope it. I am neither pro or anti union but it should be up to the workers to decide if they want to unionize or not, not Haley. Her comments did seem to come off as anti worker to me. Instead of bashing unions she should encourage companies to treat employees fairly so they don't want or need unions.
There have been union pushes, including at Boeing, at companies in South Carolina. The workers themselves have voted to not be represented by unions. So, it's never been up to Haley to have those unions here or not. However, she has been vocal about her support for right to work as have governors of other right to work states. She is not barred from doing so.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:00 AM

207 posts, read 273,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komit View Post
Sounds like we got a load a yankees up in here. BMW is paying their people and growing just fine as Im sure Boeing will also. What kind of moron would think working at non union Boeing would be bad? Oh sorry forgot talking to yankees here. Look if things are so bad here why are you here. Um lets see no jobs maybe the unions priced you out of a job. Or maybe the crime rate is out of control. Yall might think we're backward but the way I was raised you don't go into another persons house and start complaining about how they cook or the way they talk. Its just rude and we dont need that here so if its that distasteful then please by all means leave. Last time I checked those highways run both directions.
Please don't lump all of us yankees together. Some of us are coming to SC to escape the nonsense and will assimilate very well.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:03 AM

202 posts, read 295,553 times
Union think they speak for every worker. They are a mob

Old 03-21-2014, 03:04 PM

486 posts, read 996,897 times
I know Haley can't stop workers from unionizing if they choose. I am neither pro nor anti union. I am very pro worker though. I think she should encourage companies to do the right thing so employees don't need to join a union instead of making comments that come off as anti worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina