U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 04:11 PM

202 posts, read 243,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
I know Haley can't stop workers from unionizing if they choose. I am neither pro nor anti union. I am very pro worker though. I think she should encourage companies to do the right thing so employees don't need to join a union instead of making comments that come off as anti worker.
Unions don't have the right to dictate labor contracts for SC workers. All Haley is doing is saying this isn't a state where unions have this right. Haley is pro worker. You are pro union, I suspect. The two aren't the same. Unions are at war with independent workers. Unions have no power if they can't force every worker into the union. Hence my mob analogy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 11:52 AM

5,779 posts, read 6,552,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komit View Post
Sounds like we got a load a yankees up in here. BMW is paying their people and growing just fine as Im sure Boeing will also. What kind of moron would think working at non union Boeing would be bad? Oh sorry forgot talking to yankees here. Look if things are so bad here why are you here. Um lets see no jobs maybe the unions priced you out of a job. Or maybe the crime rate is out of control. Yall might think we're backward but the way I was raised you don't go into another persons house and start complaining about how they cook or the way they talk. Its just rude and we dont need that here so if its that distasteful then please by all means leave. Last time I checked those highways run both directions.
As with the other poster, don't paint all Yankee's with such a broad brush. I'm also a "former" Yankee. I've lived here 10 years and work at BMW. I was very concerned about the vote at the VW plant in TN, and was very relieved that it did not pass (as were my colleagues).

In my opinion, unions have outlived their usefullness. Just as the horse and buggy were vital to our economy over a 100 years ago, the same goes for unions. Yes I know they gave us the 40 hour week, blah, blah, blah. Thank you for that, unions. But the unions have shot themselves in the foot over and over again, mainly do to their OWN greed. They don't give a rat's behind about the "worker".

The VW vote put a huge hurt on the unions. I would expect them to try to rebound byseeking to get in at BMW or Mercedes in Alabama. If they take that suicidal approach, then they deserve what they get.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:50 PM

127 posts, read 129,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I'm also a "former" Yankee.
No such thing.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettosc View Post
No such thing.
lol. I beg to defer.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:16 PM

127 posts, read 129,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
lol. I beg to defer.
I'm happy to see that you're willing to listen to me on this one.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:42 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,259,940 times
I hope Haley knows the union that Boeing is in is setting up an office in charleston.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:43 PM

207 posts, read 219,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettosc View Post
No such thing.
I f i was born south of the mason/dixon line do I get to always be southern even if I lived in the north for most of my life?

Old 03-24-2014, 03:51 PM

202 posts, read 243,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
I hope Haley knows the union that Boeing is in is setting up an office in charleston.
That doesn't matter, it is illegal for unions to negotiate labor contracts for all employees at a company in SC.

The reason Haley brings up unions is remind voters she suppports doing things that are pro business and brings good employers here.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
The unions say that there are a "lot" of Boeing workers at Charleston that the unions have "stayed in contact with" that want to be represented. Those workers are probably transplants from Seattle. The other 6000 workers most likely do not want/need outside representation.

Quote:
Boeing South Carolina Spokesperson Candy Eslinger provided this statement: "As we've said over the past four years, we want to work directly with our employees and we're continuously working on keeping Boeing South Carolina a place where teammates have a voice and can speak for themselves without having to rely on a third party to speak for them. We're very proud of what our teammates have accomplished here in South Carolina, by collaborating and working together, and we don't believe a union is in the best interest of our teammates, our business, our community nor our state."
Again, the unions are only worried about their own pockets/future and not about the workers at the Charleston plant.

Official Says Union Still Trying to Organize Boeing SC

Old 03-25-2014, 05:41 PM

22,858 posts, read 12,199,324 times
If Boeing is providing a fair working environment, the employees won't be looking for a union. Haley should be focussing on encouraging businesses to treat their employees well so they won't be looking to a union to help them out.

Haley uses the buzz words to appeal to the voters in South Carolina......and they all fall for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina