U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 01:14 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,004,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Charlotte has been a top relocation spot for decades.
That's true.

But most of Charlottes relocation was people who were told they had to move to Charlotte, not because they dreamed of moving to Charlotte.

Charlotte is exactly what it is: A big city, a very plain, vanilla city. A very cookie cutter place. If you want a good job, good school, good place to raise a kid, its a good place. And lots of people obviously chose it. But there is NOTHING unique or special about it. As far as culture, Atlanta is so far above Charlotte it isn't measurable. Raleigh is the NC capital. There is no mountain. No beach. No history. The sports teams are mediocre, the Gamecocks games are 20x more exciting than Panthers, and for basketball why on Earth go to a Bobcats game when you've got UNC and Duke college hoops which is also better (Although, I'm a bit excited that the Hornets are coming back, grew up seeing them play). Just being "bigger" does NOT make it unique or special or better. Like I said, I'd choose Atlanta, Greenville, Columbia and Charleston any day over Charlotte. Each of those cities offers something unique within itself that I'd love to be around. Charlotte does not. Unless of course you're a NASCAR fan. Not joking, Charlotte is the capital of NASCAR, and if you're a fan, its the mecca of that sport. That's really the only truly unique thing about Charlotte. Carowinds is ok. But, for the drive and money, why not go to Six Flags or Disney? Both are far better.

The movie "Along Came Polly"? Steve Carrells character is Charlotte: Safe, steady, stable, nothing special or fancy. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Ahh yes. It pains it for you to admit defeat. You seem to be stuck on relocation while Charleston has relocation and a ton more.

And yes, Brian. He would LOVE to move to Charleston if he got the chance. All of the sudden you'd see a new poster in the Charleston forum and the GSP screenname wouldn't get used anymore if that were to happen though.
Yep. Most people who move to Charlotte don't want to move there, but do so because there are a lot of good jobs. Heck, gotta pay well to live in a place that is ok, but not special. And, I'm sure most people once they are there find that its a nice city. And it is. Its nice.

But, if they were polled, and were told they could have the same job and same (or higher) quality school, but get it on the coast or in the foothills....they'd take it in a second. They wont admit it, but they would.

In the NC/SC/GA area, places I'd pick to live if the job was the same, in order:

1- Charleston
2- Greenville
3- Atlanta
4- Savannah
5- Columbia
6- Raleigh
7- Wilmington
8- Ashville
9- Charlotte
10- Myrtle Beach

Old 03-08-2014, 01:39 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,387,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Yep. Most people who move to Charlotte don't want to move there, but do so because there are a lot of good jobs. Heck, gotta pay well to live in a place that is ok, but not special. And, I'm sure most people once they are there find that its a nice city. And it is. Its nice.

But, if they were polled, and were told they could have the same job and same (or higher) quality school, but get it on the coast or in the foothills....they'd take it in a second. They wont admit it, but they would.

In the NC/SC/GA area, places I'd pick to live if the job was the same, in order:

1- Charleston
2- Greenville
3- Atlanta
4- Savannah
5- Columbia
6- Raleigh
7- Wilmington
8- Ashville
9- Charlotte
10- Myrtle Beach
Nice list! Mine would all be on the coast. I wouldn't have put Florida on the list before but I would after THIS winter!

Old 03-08-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Nice list! Mine would all be on the coast. I wouldn't have put Florida on the list before but I would after THIS winter!
Florida is a great vacation, but I wouldn't live there. I like some cool weather each year, and FL is just too crowded and crazy. Maybe in my 20's. But not now.

If I wasn't such a foodie, I'd probably drop Charleston to 3rd or 4th behind Greenville and Atlanta. But DAMMIT the food in Charleston is just unreal. Every single type of food, I find good stuff elsewhere, but always think of a place in Charleston I like just a bit better.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:05 PM

29,696 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Quote:
But most of Charlottes relocation was people who were told they had to move to Charlotte, not because they dreamed of moving to Charlotte.
Do you have a source for this statistic?

Quote:
Charlotte is exactly what it is: A big city, a very plain, vanilla city. A very cookie cutter place. If you want a good job, good school, good place to raise a kid, its a good place. And lots of people obviously chose it. But there is NOTHING unique or special about it. As far as culture, Atlanta is so far above Charlotte it isn't measurable. Raleigh is the NC capital. There is no mountain. No beach. No history. The sports teams are mediocre, the Gamecocks games are 20x more exciting than Panthers, and for basketball why on Earth go to a Bobcats game when you've got UNC and Duke college hoops which is also better (Although, I'm a bit excited that the Hornets are coming back, grew up seeing them play). Just being "bigger" does NOT make it unique or special or better. Like I said, I'd choose Atlanta, Greenville, Columbia and Charleston any day over Charlotte. Each of those cities offers something unique within itself that I'd love to be around. Charlotte does not. Unless of course you're a NASCAR fan. Not joking, Charlotte is the capital of NASCAR, and if you're a fan, its the mecca of that sport. That's really the only truly unique thing about Charlotte. Carowinds is ok. But, for the drive and money, why not go to Six Flags or Disney? Both are far better.

The movie "Along Came Polly"? Steve Carrells character is Charlotte: Safe, steady, stable, nothing special or fancy. Nothing wrong with that.
You're seriously overblowing the "Charlotte is sterile, vanilla, blah blah" refrain. It usually comes from people who know nothing of the real Charlotte, but even so, let's not act as though everyone who's moving to Charleston is rushing to move downtown. By far, the fastest-growing parts of metro Charleston are suburbia--Summerville, Mt. Pleasant, etc.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:03 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,891,474 times
Quote:
That's true.

Wow, this is still going on?

Look, based on your comments about Charlotte, you don't know anything about the city. And, funny thing is, I disagree with you, I don't think Charlotte is a big city like Atlanta. And, there is Our difference, I am not going to spend pages on here arguing with Atlanta folks, it has more than Charlotte, it is 2.5x the size. On the other hand, you and the other Charleston folks have not figured out that Charlotte has a lot more than Charleston, sports, arts, restaurants, terrific neighborhoods, transit, great schools, and more importantly, a diversity of jobs that Charleston can only dream of. Your growth has been fueled by the government, not the benchmark of an economy. As for Charlotte being vanilla, you just don't know what you are talking about, we'll leave it at that. Your statement about folks being forced to live in Charlotte shows the stupidity levels you will go to try and make yourself feel better.

As for Charleston being unique, where people actually live is no different than Greenville, Wilmington, Norfolk, Spartanburg, etc....Summerville, Mt Pleasant, Ladson and the other suburbs could just as well be Simpsonville.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:21 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,387,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

You're seriously overblowing the "Charlotte is sterile, vanilla, blah blah" refrain. It usually comes from people who know nothing of the real Charlotte, but even so, let's not act as though everyone who's moving to Charleston is rushing to move downtown. By far, the fastest-growing parts of metro Charleston are suburbia--Summerville, Mt. Pleasant, etc.
I'm not sure about others, but when I say Charleston, I'm talking about Charleston-metro...

Also, when it comes to talking about the things to do around town, the beach is weighed 10 times as much as everything else...

Old 03-08-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

I grew up 30 minutes from Charlotte. Been there far too much already.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Wow, this is still going on?

Look, based on your comments about Charlotte, you don't know anything about the city. And, funny thing is, I disagree with you, I don't think Charlotte is a big city like Atlanta. And, there is Our difference, I am not going to spend pages on here arguing with Atlanta folks, it has more than Charlotte, it is 2.5x the size. On the other hand, you and the other Charleston folks have not figured out that Charlotte has a lot more than Charleston, sports, arts, restaurants, terrific neighborhoods, transit, great schools, and more importantly, a diversity of jobs that Charleston can only dream of. Your growth has been fueled by the government, not the benchmark of an economy. As for Charlotte being vanilla, you just don't know what you are talking about, we'll leave it at that. Your statement about folks being forced to live in Charlotte shows the stupidity levels you will go to try and make yourself feel better.

As for Charleston being unique, where people actually live is no different than Greenville, Wilmington, Norfolk, Spartanburg, etc....Summerville, Mt Pleasant, Ladson and the other suburbs could just as well be Simpsonville.
But heres the thing. No one in Charleston or SC has tried to compare Charleston, Greenville or Columbia to Charlotte. YOU jump into our conversation and start with the "Charlotte is so much bigger" blah blah blah nonsense. YOU are the one who jumps into this and I don't know why. Why you have such an inferiority complex to Charleston and the state of SC, I don't know.

Ok. Wanna compare Mount Pleasant vs Simpsonville? What are 5 unique, significant things about Simpsonville? Where I live in Mt P, I can ride a bike to the beach in 10 minutes......and ride it 20 minutes the other way and be in downtown Charleston.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:

I currently live in Mount Pleasant. I can jog to the beach in 20 minutes, ride a bike in 10. That's different than Spartanburg and Simpsonville. If I lived in Greenville, I could be a 20 minute drive at most from fantastic mountain hikes. Cant do that in Charlotte.

If I want to admire the lobby of the Bank of America or Duke Energy towers....and be in awe of the rich suit and ties who come and go.....I'll visit Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or