U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 10:02 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,901,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Im serious. What is unique to Charlotte, that I can do there and only there that I cannot find or do in any other city in NC, SC, GA??

Bigger is NOT better. I happen to think Charleston, Greenville, Savannah each offer unique things that Charlotte cannot.

On the flip side, Atlanta offers EVERYTHING Charlotte has.....and much more and better. So does Miami. And LA. And NY. And Boston. And Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Tampa......the list goes on.

Its a cookie cutter city. Nothing wrong with it. I just have fun with GSP on the topic.
Quit dodging the question, you don't know what you are talking about, admit it.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:09 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,010,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Charleston is putting up a fight? Only in your mind. I am sure you will google something to see what else to write, so far you have referenced 1919 nd 2010. And, you reference a lot of magazines which tend to highlight advertisers to stay in business. Charleston advertises a lot due to the high degree of tourism dependency.

Shem Crek Restaurants......Vickerys? The Wreck? They would not make it in Gastonia. There is not a restaurant in Charleston that I wish were in Charlotte.

Arts....sure, you all create a festival to attract tourists, we support arts from traveling broadway to local children's art facilities. From multiple venues on Tryon Street alone to the children's arts center to The Mint, The Bectler, to galleries in the ring neighborhoods, arts in Charlotte is more than a month long tourist event.

Parks, lakes, whitewater center, Crowder's mountain, King's Mountain, greenways etc....all provide more than enough outdoor activity opportunities.

Tell me, is Charleston Southern even accredited? Or is it academically challenged like a Coastal Carolina?

You are missing the point about neighborhoods, each Charlotte neighborhood has its own character. If you were into Charlotte as much as you claim, you would understand. Charleston is a city of burbs surrounding a tourist attraction. MP, Summerville, Ladson all are generic suburbs.

Golf, Sure, The Ocean Course held the PGA, as will Quail Hollow. The difference, we host the top non major tournament annually at one of the South's best courses. Don't look in your magazines for a ranking, most folks don't play Quail Hollow. See how distorted magazine rankings can be. Same for education.

I like being close to Columbia. No need for another 5th grade comment.

As for being on lists, we are on the ones that count. Keep reading you silly magazines.
Seriously....isn't Hooters the most upscale restaurant in Gastonia? You're silly. You say there isn't 1 restaurant in Charleston that you would want in Charlotte? Haha. That too is too silly to comment on.

We have parks and lakes. And an ocean. And beaches. Kings Mountain???? Its barely taller than Mount Pleasant. I'll go to Ashville or Eastern Tennessee for my mountains.

You say each Charlotte neighborhood has its own character. And then you say "Mount Pleasant, Summerville, Ladson" are all basically the same? WOW, you know nothing about Charleston if you think that. ALL cities have neighborhoods that are different throughout the area. Not just Charlotte.

Golf? Well, the Myrtle Beach to Charleston to Hilton Head area is a golf mecca. But, nowhere touches Augusta, so we can drop golf right there. As for tennis...the annual Family Circle Cup in Charleston is always a national draw.

You say Charleston is only on lists because it advertises? Most of those lists are voted on by people who travel the world. Same world Charlotte is in, oddly.

Charleston Southern, yes, its accredited. Its a fine school too. A Christian school that does a lot of community service work and has high moral standards. And their football team beat the pants off mighty public university UNC-Charlotte haha! The Citadel would have too.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Haha, sure, you can word it like that. And its more unique and authentic than anything in Charlotte hahaha!!!! Lots of places have pro sports teams. Lots of places have tall buildings. NOTHING unique at all about Charlotte...except, like I said, a race car museum.

One "unique" thing about Charlotte I did see that was cool and made me want to visit it was the Whitewater Rafting Training and Recreation Center.

Then I read up on it....and its even artificial!!! A fake river!
A creek is unique. That's what you came up with.....in addition to a bridge, in your own words, "you own it". Face it, Charleston is a large Myrtle Beach that pretends to be relevant. You guys brag about silicon harbor and have the lowest tech workforce in SC. you attract Boeing and yet growth is still driven by he government, private companies don't want to be there.

Lots of places have sprts teams? Less than 32 cities have the NFL, even less have multiple sports teams.

Anyway, move on. Enjoy your creek and bridge. Here in Charlotte, we ave more to do than play on a bridge.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:10 PM

29,918 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
what does Charlotte have that's unique though? It's certainly not a city you hear about all that often
Of course you hear about Charlotte, due to its rapid growth and ascension as a business center. In terms of uniqueness? No, because it's relatively young as a large city and history isn't its claim to fame. Nevertheless, it has its unique aspects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meckle...f_Independence
The History of Gold in NC | Gold Fever and The Bechtler Mint
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Mint
Shout Bands Stir Up Tubular Fervor In Charlotte : NPR
Textile workers built unions, led strikes and and fought racism In the U.S. Top Workers World
NC Historic Sites - President James K. Polk

Old 03-08-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Quit dodging the question, you don't know what you are talking about, admit it.
Ok. Still waiting on all the unique things in Charlotte that I cannot get in Atlanta, Greenville, Columbia or Charleston

Charlotte is a generic city in the same way Nickleback is a generic band haha! New city slogan: "Charlotte- the Nickleback of Cities"

Old 03-08-2014, 10:13 PM

29,918 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
Im serious. What is unique to Charlotte, that I can do there and only there that I cannot find or do in any other city in NC, SC, GA??
You're moving the goalposts. You said that Mount Pleasant was more unique than Charlotte, which is pretty ridiculous. No matter how you cut it, that's borderline trolling especially when you consider that nothing you listed about Mount Pleasant is actually unique. A farm, a law office, a bridge, a maritime museum, proximity to the beach, history, etc.--none of those are unique.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
A creek is unique. That's what you came up with.....in addition to a bridge, in your own words, "you own it". Face it, Charleston is a large Myrtle Beach that pretends to be relevant. You guys brag about silicon harbor and have the lowest tech workforce in SC. you attract Boeing and yet growth is still driven by he government, private companies don't want to be there.

Lots of places have sprts teams? Less than 32 cities have the NFL, even less have multiple sports teams.

Anyway, move on. Enjoy your creek and bridge. Here in Charlotte, we ave more to do than play on a bridge.
Oh, I "own" everything I said in that post about MOUNT PLEASANT. That was only a Mount P comment, not Charleston.

Your math is wrong. You say fewer than 32 cities have multiple sports teams. Every NFL city has 2 pro sports teams except Green Bay and Jacksonville.

But, some non-NFL cities have 2 pro sports teams: Milwaukee has the Brewers and Bucks. LA has NBA, NHL, MLB...but no NFL. Sacramento has the Kings and Warriors. Toronto has MLB and NBA. Montreal had MLB and NHL. So once again, you're wrong. More than 32 cities have 2 or more pro sports teams.

You are right though about Charlotte having more to do than enjoying the outdoors and recreation. Your CEO and his board members expect their coffee and snacks bright and early on their desk, and I heard they may have cubicle inspections. You better get to work!

Old 03-08-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're moving the goalposts. You said that Mount Pleasant was more unique than Charlotte, which is pretty ridiculous. No matter how you cut it, that's borderline trolling especially when you consider that nothing you listed about Mount Pleasant is actually unique. A farm, a law office, a bridge, a maritime museum, proximity to the beach, history, etc.--none of those are unique.
In my opinion it is. Mount Pleasant has things you cannot get in Charlotte. Or Atlanta. And it was in context to GSP saying Mount Pleasant is just like any old suburb you'd find in the state. Its not.

As far as scale of uniqueness......how unique is Mount Pleasant and Charleston compared to most other cities? I'd say quite a bit. How unique is Charlotte to other cities? VERY cookie cutter. Almost nothing unique at all.

There is almost nothing one can do in Charlotte that they cant do in Atlanta. BUT, there are things you can do in Mount Pleasant or Charleston that you cannot do in Charlotte.

Charlotte offers a lot. BUT, it doesn't offer anything that I cant find easily in any other large city. I wasn't trolling when I said the only truly unique thing there is the NASCAR museum.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A farm, a law office, a bridge, a maritime museum, proximity to the beach, history, etc.--none of those are unique.
Not quite what I said. If I said one weekend I want to "Visit Blackbeards former hideout, go kayak with dolphins, jog the largest cable bridge in North America, eat at a national top 10 restaurant, then spend the day on the 10th best beach in America"........I can do that in Charleston.

What can I do in Charlotte that I cant do in any other large city? Nothing. If I want stuff the "big city" offers....Im going to Atlanta.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Ok. Still waiting on all the unique things in Charlotte that I cannot get in Atlanta, Greenville, Columbia or Charleston

Charlotte is a generic city in the same way Nickleback is a generic band haha! New city slogan: "Charlotte- the Nickleback of Cities"
So, Charleston can't stand on its own, you are enlisting Atlanta, Greenville, Columbia to help out. Kind of sad, you are giving up on Charleston. I would as well. Face it, when you highlight a creek and a bridge as unique assets, it is depressing. And, let's not forget about the great tourist attraction, an old aircraft carrier....how did that basketball game work, embarrassing.

Do you hang out on the bridge and stare at the creek? Or, do you eat at Vickerys and consider it fine dining, you are a foodie.

So, MP is a great place because of a creek. Meanwhile, HWY 17 is littered with steel structured single story shopping centers.

A lot has been written about he unique things about Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or