Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 10:26 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
In my opinion it is. Mount Pleasant has things you cannot get in Charlotte. Or Atlanta. And it was in context to GSP saying Mount Pleasant is just like any old suburb you'd find in the state. Its not.

As far as scale of uniqueness......how unique is Mount Pleasant and Charleston compared to most other cities? I'd say quite a bit. How unique is Charlotte to other cities? VERY cookie cutter. Almost nothing unique at all.

There is almost nothing one can do in Charlotte that they cant do in Atlanta. BUT, there are things you can do in Mount Pleasant or Charleston that you cannot do in Charlotte.

Charlotte offers a lot. BUT, it doesn't offer anything that I cant find easily in any other large city. I wasn't trolling when I said the only truly unique thing there is the NASCAR museum.
OK, sure. Mount Pleasant is the New Orleans of South Carolina and is more unique than Charlotte. Knock yourself out with that one.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:31 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
OK, sure. Mount Pleasant is the New Orleans of South Carolina and is more unique than Charlotte. Knock yourself out with that one.
Charleston has often been described as "mini New Orleans" by people, although since Joe Riley's 20 year campaign to clean up downtown and make it far more sterile, that comparison has begun to dwindle away.

Fact: There is stuff I can do in Atlanta that I cant in Charleston. And stuff I can do in Charleston that I cant do in Atlanta. There stuff I can do in Charlotte that I cant do in Charleston, and stuff in Charleston that I cant do in Atlanta.

There is NOTHING in Charlotte that I cant do in Atlanta.

So, that's the point. Charlotte is big. But not unique. Its a patchwork of lots of things that you can find in any other big city.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:36 PM

I guess maybe we could say IKEA is one of Charlottes unique landmarks haha.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:39 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,926 times
Quote:
I guess maybe we could say IKEA is one of Charlottes unique landmarks haha.
I thought Columbia had one?

Old 03-08-2014, 10:40 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,855 times
Quote:
In my opinion it is. Mount Pleasant has things you cannot get in Charlotte. Or Atlanta. And it was in context to GSP saying Mount Pleasant is just like any old suburb you'd find in the state. Its not.

As far as scale of uniqueness......how unique is Mount Pleasant and Charleston compared to most other cities? I'd say quite a bit. How unique is Charlotte to other cities? VERY cookie cutter. Almost nothing unique at all.

There is almost nothing one can do in Charlotte that they cant do in Atlanta. BUT, there are things you can do in Mount Pleasant or Charleston that you cannot do in Charlotte.

Charlotte offers a lot. BUT, it doesn't offer anything that I cant find easily in any other large city. I wasn't trolling when I said the only truly unique thing there is the NASCAR museum.
Interesting logic, Charlotte offers a lot but you can get that in any large city. Well, We get the beach thing but what can you get or do in Charleston that can't be done in Charlotte.

You are trolling, you are trying to widen the discussion so that Charleston and MP don't look so ordinary. To date, you like a bridge and a creek. We can get same day seafood in Charlotte, that is not unique to Charleston, we have world class restaurants in Charlotte....that is not unique to Charleston, we have a long list of outdoor activities, golf, etc...

The difference is that you can attend pro sporting events in Charlotte (no my math was correct). You can shop at exclusive stores not found elsewhere in the Carolina's, you can fly non stop from our airport to most any city in the US and Europe. You can have a number of options in a career rather than depending on politicians loading up the area with government jobs. We have multiple commuting options not available in Charleston. We ave a true urban experience not dependent on tourism and cruise ships. We have a reserch university that grants Doctoral level degrees. Our city actually has a skyline, not found in Charleston or MP.

Of course, you have a bridge and a creek as your highlights.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Charleston has often been described as "mini New Orleans" by people, although since Joe Riley's 20 year campaign to clean up downtown and make it far more sterile, that comparison has begun to dwindle away.

Fact: There is stuff I can do in Atlanta that I cant in Charleston. And stuff I can do in Charleston that I cant do in Atlanta. There stuff I can do in Charlotte that I cant do in Charleston, and stuff in Charleston that I cant do in Atlanta.

So, that's the point. Charlotte is big. But not unique. Its a patchwork of lots of things that you can find in any other big city.
Who cares, that is the dumbest argument I have seen on CD. And, you live in Charleston..l am in Charlotte, why are you talking about Atlanta? Why not insert SF or LA if you are trying to one up Charlotte because Charleston is not working for you.

What us it with MP? Some other Charleston cheerleader tried to convince me that it is as wealthy as anything in Charlotte. A quick comparison with Southpark shot that theory and now you are saying it is more unique than Charlotte?

And a mini New Orleans? LOL

Old 03-08-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Who cares, that is the dumbest argument I have seen on CD. And, you live in Charleston..l am in Charlotte, why are you talking about Atlanta? Why not insert SF or LA if you are trying to one up Charlotte because Charleston is not working for you.

What us it with MP? Some other Charleston cheerleader tried to convince me that it is as wealthy as anything in Charlotte. A quick comparison with Southpark shot that theory and now you are saying it is more unique than Charlotte?

And a mini New Orleans? LOL
The mini New Orleans comparison was one often made because of the cultures. Something Charlotte lacks. Unless NASCAR is a culture. Mount Pleasant is quite wealthy. I don't know how it stacks up against South Park. And in fact, I'd guess 99% of Mount P residents wouldn't give a crap.....they're happy.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Interesting logic, Charlotte offers a lot but you can get that in any large city. Well, We get the beach thing but what can you get or do in Charleston that can't be done in Charlotte.

You are trolling, you are trying to widen the discussion so that Charleston and MP don't look so ordinary. To date, you like a bridge and a creek. We can get same day seafood in Charlotte, that is not unique to Charleston, we have world class restaurants in Charlotte....that is not unique to Charleston, we have a long list of outdoor activities, golf, etc...

The difference is that you can attend pro sporting events in Charlotte (no my math was correct). You can shop at exclusive stores not found elsewhere in the Carolina's, you can fly non stop from our airport to most any city in the US and Europe. You can have a number of options in a career rather than depending on politicians loading up the area with government jobs. We have multiple commuting options not available in Charleston. We ave a true urban experience not dependent on tourism and cruise ships. We have a reserch university that grants Doctoral level degrees. Our city actually has a skyline, not found in Charleston or MP.

Of course, you have a bridge and a creek as your highlights.

I'VE GOT IT!!! I said I'd figure you out and I have.

You have a bully complex. Charlotte is the ultimate cookie cutter, generic big city. Absolutely nothing unique about it. And....you, like some there, are so badly wanting to be taken seriously along with the other big cities of America. But you aren't. You aren't Atlanta, or Miami, or NY or LA or Chicago. You are the often forgotten about city.

So, you need to criticize other, smaller cities to compensate. I could spend another few days picking at all your arguments. But, my main goal was just to figure you out and I have. It bothers you that Charlotte isn't taken seriously by the other big cities. And you hate that. So, you pick on SC cities. Especially one on the coast which, despite being much smaller, is so much more famous haha!!!

Charlotte is a fine city. It just happens to be at the bottom of the scale when it comes to America's "big cities".

Charleston? We'll be just fine down here on the coast 3 hours away, 1/2 the size, and landing on more national lists. There is a Charlotte forum, and even an Atlanta forum, where you probably belong more.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:19 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
[quote=CD2013;33801338]Charleston has often been described as "mini New Orleans" by people, although since Joe Riley's 20 year campaign to clean up downtown and make it far more sterile, that comparison has begun to dwindle away.[quote]

Not sure why people would say that Charleston is a mini-New Orleans. While the two do share some similarities, notably each having shared the title of "Largest city in the South" in the antebellum period, the cultures and flavors of both cities are pretty distinct. Savannah comes closer to being a mini-New Orleans than Charleston. Even so, I was speaking about Mount Pleasant proper, not Charleston proper.

Quote:

The problem here is that you're defining uniqueness rather narrowly, in terms of what there is to "do." And even half of that is a function of pure geography and says nothing about what a city offers in and of itself. For instance, geographical considerations aside, I don't necessarily see what's so special about what one could do in Asheville that they couldn't do elsewhere. Yet that doesn't detract from Asheville's uniqueness, which is much more tied to its built environment, local culture, and people.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I'VE GOT IT!!! I said I'd figure you out and I have.

You have a bully complex. Charlotte is the ultimate cookie cutter, generic big city. Absolutely nothing unique about it. And....you, like some there, are so badly wanting to be taken seriously along with the other big cities of America. But you aren't. You aren't Atlanta, or Miami, or NY or LA or Chicago. You are the often forgotten about city.

So, you need to criticize other, smaller cities to compensate. I could spend another few days picking at all your arguments. But, my main goal was just to figure you out and I have. It bothers you that Charlotte isn't taken seriously by the other big cities. And you hate that. So, you pick on SC cities. Especially one on the coast which, despite being much smaller, is so much more famous haha!!!

Charlotte is a fine city. It just happens to be at the bottom of the scale when it comes to America's "big cities".

Just to be clear, the Panthers AND Charlote were brought up on post #2 & 9 of this thread. You were the one starting in on this we are the same as Charlotte was 30 years ago. Sorry you brought it up, did not work too well for you.

Charleston? We'll be just fine down here on the coast 3 hours away, 1/2 the size, and landing on more national lists. There is a Charlotte forum, and even an Atlanta forum, where you probably belong more.
Actually, I am fine with Charlotte, just though it was interesting that you weren't doing too well in defining Charleston, "we have a great bridge" and a "creek". Besides, the topic of your thread says it all, you are asking if Charleston can get an NFL team and 99% of everyone would say no. When it is pointed out why, you start crying and bringing Atlanta into the picture to try and get something on Charlotte. Nice, are you going to bring in London and Paris next? If someone from LA says that Charleston is not too nice, are you going to bring in NYC? Guess if you can't stand on your own, may as well chicken out and ask for help.

And, then it is the "we are a mini New Orleans", we are on magazine lists, please take us seriously. We are growing and educated.........only the education attainment stats are shewed because of the booming retiree population. You want so hard for people to think of Charleston in the way they did 200 years ago but those times have passed. In today's world, you are a tourist attraction just like Myrtle Beach. In today's world, Raleigh, Atlanta, Nashville, AND Charlotte have passed you in economic importance (yes, we all know about Boeing....), cultural depth, culinary offerings, education, air traffic, career opportunities (you should be happy about this, if the other cities do well, people will buy beach houses and you can look at the nice houses as you play in the creek), and overall have just passed Charleston. In short, while you read magazines and think you are relevant, the other cities have long looked at Charleston as a nicer Myrtle Beach and eventhough you are not on a lot of lists, seems inconsistent. Oh, they are magazine reader polls, now that is representative of what people think.

As for Mt Pleasant "giving a crap", just like all of the Charleston posters on here who cry and call people names, he sure did get a little irritated. Its hard to think you are special and accept reality.

To summarize, Charleston is liked by "readers" of some magazines.......not something that is worth much more than playing in a creek.

Charleston has little economics importance in the south being passed by Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, Columbia, Greenville, Greensboro, Winston, Richmond, and many others. This one has to hurt, at one time you were king, now you are no longer relevant. It is a city built on tourism, tip jars and the government.

Charleston is a tourist attraction just like Myrtle Beach. Even the reailty show based there depicts it as a fake town full of "wanna bes". It is a place where Mark Sanford gets elected after telling the entire country he is on the App Trail while he is hooking up.

But, you have a bridge, an old aircraft carrier, a law firm and a creek, have fun with that "unique" list. Not sure the folks in MP are happy with how you have depicted their city. Up here in Charlotte, we will keep adding to our quality of life....new park and baseball stadium just opened downtown, our job base...companies like AIG just announced opening in Charlotte, new air service like direct flights to more European cities (we are an true international airport, not just in name), retail, culinary (10 new restaurants are opening downtown this month), residential, transit etc.....

But, you in Charleston, enjoy your creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina