U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-09-2014, 08:54 AM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,003,981 times
Reputation: 865

Advertisements

[quote=Mutiny77;33801635][quote=CD2013;33801338]Charleston has often been described as "mini New Orleans" by people, although since Joe Riley's 20 year campaign to clean up downtown and make it far more sterile, that comparison has begun to dwindle away.
Quote:

Not sure why people would say that Charleston is a mini-New Orleans. While the two do share some similarities, notably each having shared the title of "Largest city in the South" in the antebellum period, the cultures and flavors of both cities are pretty distinct. Savannah comes closer to being a mini-New Orleans than Charleston. Even so, I was speaking about Mount Pleasant proper, not Charleston proper.



The problem here is that you're defining uniqueness rather narrowly, in terms of what there is to "do." And even half of that is a function of pure geography and says nothing about what a city offers in and of itself. For instance, geographical considerations aside, I don't necessarily see what's so special about what one could do in Asheville that they couldn't do elsewhere. Yet that doesn't detract from Asheville's uniqueness, which is much more tied to its built environment, local culture, and people.
Well, your point about Asheville's uniqueness with its environment, local culture, etc, was my point about Mount Pleasant's fishing culture, of the shrimping fleet, the restaurants that built on the water as a result.

Savannah is Charleston's little sister. Always has been. But the two share a lot in common. The people I've heard call Charleston that say because of the shared past cultures, and the atmosphere of the downtown party districts and their similarities.

And yeah, geography is kinda what makes half of a city's character anyway. Greenville's Falls Park is amazing. One of the best downtown walking experiences in the Carolinas. That is only because of geography, right? Aspen is only Apsen because of geography too.

There are things I can see and do in Asheville that I cant in Charlotte, too. I love hiking for one. Heck, even Gatlinburg, TN offers skiing and hiking that Charlotte cant.

I have family in Greenville. When I visit, we often want to go out and do something fun. Within a, say, 5 hour drive of Greenville..........name something Charlotte offers that I cannot get anywhere else within that drive?????? There's nothing. Columbia, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Asheville, Atlanta....all offer something I cant find anywhere else in that 5 hour drive radius. Charlotte does not.

 
Old 03-09-2014, 09:02 AM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,890,713 times
Reputation: 750
[quote=CD2013;33803982][quote=Mutiny77;33801635]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Charleston has often been described as "mini New Orleans" by people, although since Joe Riley's 20 year campaign to clean up downtown and make it far more sterile, that comparison has begun to dwindle away.

Well, your point about Asheville's uniqueness with its environment, local culture, etc, was my point about Mount Pleasant's fishing culture, of the shrimping fleet, the restaurants that built on the water as a result.

Savannah is Charleston's little sister. Always has been. But the two share a lot in common. The people I've heard call Charleston that say because of the shared past cultures, and the atmosphere of the downtown party districts and their similarities.

And yeah, geography is kinda what makes half of a city's character anyway. Greenville's Falls Park is amazing. One of the best downtown walking experiences in the Carolinas. That is only because of geography, right? Aspen is only Apsen because of geography too.

There are things I can see and do in Asheville that I cant in Charlotte, too. I love hiking for one. Heck, even Gatlinburg, TN offers skiing and hiking that Charlotte cant.

I have family in Greenville. When I visit, we often want to go out and do something fun. Within a, say, 5 hour drive of Greenville..........name something Charlotte offers that I cannot get anywhere else within that drive?????? There's nothing. Columbia, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Asheville, Atlanta....all offer something I cant find anywhere else in that 5 hour drive radius. Charlotte does not.
You are delusional about Charlotte and your arguments keep changing. You do something fun in Greenville but drive 5 hours? So, you can walk in a park in Greenville........you can walk in a Charlotte park, that is not unique.

For some reason, you have this block against Charlotte that no matter what anyone, me or otherwise, says, you have some silly uneducated remark that changes the argument to fit your thought process. Kind of sad.
 
Old 03-09-2014, 09:10 AM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,003,981 times
Reputation: 865
[quote=GSP101;33804055][quote=CD2013;33803982]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

You are delusional about Charlotte and your arguments keep changing. You do something fun in Greenville but drive 5 hours? So, you can walk in a park in Greenville........you can walk in a Charlotte park, that is not unique.

For some reason, you have this block against Charlotte that no matter what anyone, me or otherwise, says, you have some silly uneducated remark that changes the argument to fit your thought process. Kind of sad.
No, I asked a simple question. Within a 5 hour drive of Greenville....what does Charlotte offer that cant be found anywhere else in that radius?

- A NASCAR museum

Feel free to add to the list. And remember, YOU brought yourself and your city into this thread, and have since not been able to stop yourself from coming back each day.

So go ahead, add to the list. Whats that new Charlotte motto: "Charlottes Got A Lot".......of stuff you can find anywhere else.

And yes, I love jogging Greenville's Falls Park. Is it "just a park"? No. Its better than any park in Charlotte, or Charleston. I know that.
 
Old 03-09-2014, 09:19 AM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,890,713 times
Reputation: 750
[quote=CD2013;33804138][quote=GSP101;33804055]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post

No, I asked a simple question. Within a 5 hour drive of Greenville....what does Charlotte offer that cant be found anywhere else in that radius?

- A NASCAR museum

Feel free to add to the list. And remember, YOU brought yourself and your city into this thread, and have since not been able to stop yourself from coming back each day.

So go ahead, add to the list. Whats that new Charlotte motto: "Charlottes Got A Lot".......of stuff you can find anywhere else.

And yes, I love jogging Greenville's Falls Park. Is it "just a park"? No. Its better than any park in Charlotte, or Charleston. I know that.
For reference, here is post #2 of this thread by CD2013......post #1 was by CD2013 as well.....

"It would certainly have to be in Columbia. Even that's a bit close to Charlotte. Doubt 2 teams could exist that close without more people. But, this is assuming Cola tops the metro 1,000,000 mark in the future, and Greenville/Charleston do too. The Panthers just haven't gained traction here in SC. Clemson and USC are still by far more popular."

So, now that we have that out of the way, let's look at your loser logic. You are arguing along the lines of telling someone wealthier than yourself..."yea, but Bill Gates can do this and you can't". For pages, you argued that Charleston was so much better and Charlotte did not offer anything unique. When it was shown by me and other that Charlotte does in fact offer things not found in Charleston, Greenvile, Cola etc....you changed the parameters to add Atlanta, classic loser logic.

So, what's next, are you going to bring in LA, SF, London, Paris, Seattle? Sure, Charlotte is a smaller version of a big city, it is in a different class than Charleston. That seems to trouble you for some reason.
 
Old 03-09-2014, 10:43 AM
 
29,667 posts, read 27,103,954 times
Reputation: 18205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
And yeah, geography is kinda what makes half of a city's character anyway.
It's more than that. For instance, Georgetown and Charleston are very, very different; you can hit the beach quickly in each city but that's about it.

Quote:
I have family in Greenville. When I visit, we often want to go out and do something fun. Within a, say, 5 hour drive of Greenville..........name something Charlotte offers that I cannot get anywhere else within that drive?????? There's nothing. Columbia, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Asheville, Atlanta....all offer something I cant find anywhere else in that 5 hour drive radius. Charlotte does not.
This is stupid because many of the places within 5 hours of Greenville are also within 5 hours of Charlotte; they aren't located that far from each other. You could basically say the same thing about Atlanta relative to Greenville in that case.
 
Old 03-09-2014, 11:20 AM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,003,981 times
Reputation: 865
[quote=GSP101;33804231][quote=CD2013;33804138]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post

For reference, here is post #2 of this thread by CD2013......post #1 was by CD2013 as well.....

"It would certainly have to be in Columbia. Even that's a bit close to Charlotte. Doubt 2 teams could exist that close without more people. But, this is assuming Cola tops the metro 1,000,000 mark in the future, and Greenville/Charleston do too. The Panthers just haven't gained traction here in SC. Clemson and USC are still by far more popular."

So, now that we have that out of the way, let's look at your loser logic. You are arguing along the lines of telling someone wealthier than yourself..."yea, but Bill Gates can do this and you can't". For pages, you argued that Charleston was so much better and Charlotte did not offer anything unique. When it was shown by me and other that Charlotte does in fact offer things not found in Charleston, Greenvile, Cola etc....you changed the parameters to add Atlanta, classic loser logic.

So, what's next, are you going to bring in LA, SF, London, Paris, Seattle? Sure, Charlotte is a smaller version of a big city, it is in a different class than Charleston. That seems to trouble you for some reason.
So Charlottes only unique things are a NASCAR museum....and a couple mediocre pro sports teams? Once again, that not unique to Charlotte. Atlanta and Jacksonville have pro sports. For one, I'd rather go to a Gamecocks game than a Panthers game anyway. So, while Charlotte may have an NFL team, they don't have a major college football team, and for me, the USC games are by far better than the Panthers games.

Gives me trouble haha??? Check how many posts I've made about Charleston.......in the Charlotte/NC forum. Now, check how many posts you make regarding Charlotte in the SC forums. And we'll see who has an issue.

So, the list is now:

- A race car museum
- A couple mediocre pro sports teams

That's what Charlotte offers? Got it I'll just stay in SC, and venture to Atlanta for the times I want big city type stuff.
 
Old 03-09-2014, 11:23 AM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,003,981 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's more than that. For instance, Georgetown and Charleston are very, very different; you can hit the beach quickly in each city but that's about it.



This is stupid because many of the places within 5 hours of Greenville are also within 5 hours of Charlotte; they aren't located that far from each other. You could basically say the same thing about Atlanta relative to Greenville in that case.
My point is about unique offerings of a place. I honestly don't have anything bad to say about Charlotte. Its a nice city and offers a lot. Its just that it offers nothing unique. Pro sports and a race car museum are the only things that supposedly are unique.

Charlotte isn't big enough to be lumped in with major big cities. And its too big to have the small city charm. And of course, no mountains or beaches or major college football (which I prefer over NFL), and absolutely no history, which I happen to find very interesting and enriching (something about having dinner or a beer in a place George Washington and Blackbeard used to frequent.....vs having dinner in a place that was a Target before it got torn down and turned into a strip mall.)

It is what it is.
 
Old 03-09-2014, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
38 posts, read 35,969 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Well, part of Charlotte is in SC so it is not far fetched to talk about Charlotte in SC. As for size, the arrogance of Charleston is getting the best of you when you try to compare the lowcountry with Charlotte. Are you really trying to compare Beaufort with Charlotte? Beaufort county is less in size than the Southpark area of Charlotte which Has far more wealth than Beaufort County.

So, tell me, who in Charleston will commit to buying 150-200 suites annually? Where will you find enough people to buy 11k premium seats which cost $150-350 per game? Who will sponsor the team on an annual basis paying multi millions? BofA pays roughly $5-7m annually to name the stadium, who in Charleston can and will pay that? Who in Charleston will pay $1b to build a stadium?

The difference between Charleston today and Charlotte in '95 is population 1.3m v 700k, corporate headquarters of national banks, Duke Energy, fortune 500 company hq and a lot of mid sized companies. Growth, Charlotte has and is one of the nation's fastest growing cities, Charleston is growing fast, just not at Charlotte's pace. Connections....Hugh McColl and Jerry Richardson had gret connections in business and the NFL. Income was and is higher in Charlotte. There are a lot more high income earners in Charlotte than Charleston could ever produce. In short, charleston does not have the wealth to support a team, the population is not there and the corporate presence is lacking. Charleston's TV market is #65 in the country, Charlotte was no where near that low in '95 (Lexington Ky, Tulsa, Little Zrock nd a lot others have larger TV markets). The list is actually compelling why Charleston will not have a NFL team.

If the NFL adds 8 teams, Orlando, Oklahoma City, LA, San Antonio, Austin, Portland, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, and a few others re ahead of Charleston.

Columbia will not get the NFL because of USC and proximity to Charlotte.

Finally, the Panthers have rights to the Carolina's, they will not allow another team. It is a non issue, forget it.
Couldn't have said it any better
 
Old 03-09-2014, 01:23 PM
 
29,667 posts, read 27,103,954 times
Reputation: 18205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
My point is about unique offerings of a place. I honestly don't have anything bad to say about Charlotte. Its a nice city and offers a lot. Its just that it offers nothing unique. Pro sports and a race car museum are the only things that supposedly are unique.

Charlotte isn't big enough to be lumped in with major big cities. And its too big to have the small city charm. And of course, no mountains or beaches or major college football (which I prefer over NFL), and absolutely no history, which I happen to find very interesting and enriching (something about having dinner or a beer in a place George Washington and Blackbeard used to frequent.....vs having dinner in a place that was a Target before it got torn down and turned into a strip mall.)

It is what it is.
*sigh* Charlotte does have history; hell it's one of the oldest cities in the Carolinas. It didn't just spring up overnight. It wasn't as important as Charleston was in its early days, but it was quite important as an industrial center in the early 20th century and there are many existing structures that attest to that.
 
Old 03-09-2014, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
38 posts, read 35,969 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
I'VE GOT IT!!! I said I'd figure you out and I have.

You have a bully complex. Charlotte is the ultimate cookie cutter, generic big city. Absolutely nothing unique about it. And....you, like some there, are so badly wanting to be taken seriously along with the other big cities of America. But you aren't. You aren't Atlanta, or Miami, or NY or LA or Chicago. You are the often forgotten about city.

So, you need to criticize other, smaller cities to compensate. I could spend another few days picking at all your arguments. But, my main goal was just to figure you out and I have. It bothers you that Charlotte isn't taken seriously by the other big cities. And you hate that. So, you pick on SC cities. Especially one on the coast which, despite being much smaller, is so much more famous haha!!!

Charlotte is a fine city. It just happens to be at the bottom of the scale when it comes to America's "big cities".

Charleston? We'll be just fine down here on the coast 3 hours away, 1/2 the size, and landing on more national lists. There is a Charlotte forum, and even an Atlanta forum, where you probably belong more.
Man enough of this about Clt. This suppose to be about a NFL team in SC, but is turning into a Clt roasting party. 1st off, we are like the lil' child being picked on by the other bigger and older kids. All of a sudden, the child grows rapidly over a short period of time and is starring it's opponents eye to eye, and looking down on others. We might be forgotten now, but we are being watched in the rear view of a lot of cities. Imagine where we will be in 10-15 years!

As far as you bringing up Charleston vs. Clt. is your own argument. The only thing that gives Charleston it's fame is it's gigantic role in slavery, and who in the hell is proud of something like that. So you stick to your Charleston forum and stay off of ATL's nuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:02 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top