U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-09-2014, 08:40 PM
 
2,012 posts, read 2,097,522 times
Reputation: 402

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Grow up, based on your postings and harassing people, not just me, that provide opinions you may not agree with, you have no credibility, especially with people who are from SC. You have been here a year and pretend to know what is real. Of course, you think people will flock to Charleston and work from home even when data says otherwise.
I'd say a cities population increasing by 20%, as North Charleston and Charleston over a decade is evidence of people wanting to live there, and that's just Charleston the number are up to 40% for Summerville and Mt. Pleasant. I don't have number for Goose Creek or Hanahan though both of those cities are growing as well

 
Old 03-09-2014, 08:48 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,902,437 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
I'd say a cities population increasing by 20%, as North Charleston and Charleston over a decade is evidence of people wanting to live there, and that's just Charleston the number are up to 40% for Summerville and Mt. Pleasant. I don't have number for Goose Creek or Hanahan though both of those cities are growing as well
Led, Charleston is growing and will continue to grow. It is not a leading growth city like Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville and others but has a healthy growth rate. My post was related to some who think that the word has not gotten out about Charleston (after 300 years) and people will move to the area and work from home. Many companies are moving away from relaxed work rules. Yahoo reversed its policy, BofA is tighter with policies as are many in the financial industry.

Charleston will continue to grow, just at lower rates than othern southern cities.
 
Old 03-09-2014, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC metro
3,518 posts, read 4,402,955 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Led, Charleston is growing and will continue to grow. It is not a leading growth city like Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville and others but has a healthy growth rate. My post was related to some who think that the word has not gotten out about Charleston (after 300 years) and people will move to the area and work from home. Many companies are moving away from relaxed work rules. Yahoo reversed its policy, BofA is tighter with policies as are many in the financial industry.

Charleston will continue to grow, just at lower rates than othern southern cities.
What were your numbers again in terms of growth?
 
Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 PM
 
2,012 posts, read 2,097,522 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Led, Charleston is growing and will continue to grow. It is not a leading growth city like Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville and others but has a healthy growth rate. My post was related to some who think that the word has not gotten out about Charleston (after 300 years) and people will move to the area and work from home. Many companies are moving away from relaxed work rules. Yahoo reversed its policy, BofA is tighter with policies as are many in the financial industry.

Charleston will continue to grow, just at lower rates than othern southern cities.
The charleston metro has some of the fastest growth rates in South Carolina, and in relation to other southern cities perhaps they beat is in total numbers but few beat us in percent increase, I'll begrudge you Charlottes 35% growth last decade but in SC the Charleston metro has 3 of the 5 largest cities in the state and 5 of the top 10
 
Old 03-09-2014, 09:12 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,902,437 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
What were your numbers again in terms of growth?
See Led's next post.
 
Old 03-09-2014, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC metro
3,518 posts, read 4,402,955 times
Reputation: 1386
Not really sure what that last post means, but I haven't been reading the saga of 40 year old virgins arguing back and forth in previous posts in this thread. Here is what I looked at tonight...

I have been looking at Forbes' fastest growing metros list for years, hoping to see a city I am familiar with and like on it, always disappointed. But searching tonight put Charlotte on the list. I was impressed. GSP, you're right; fastest growing metro. There's no way of dancing around that. It just plain is in the top 10, at least from whatever criteria Forbes uses and I respect that.

Now, to examine the argument at hand, we have to remember that GSP is the one that actually took the first offensive move. People claiming Charleston is the best city or one of the best is not a reason to get upset. One must ask, when you started this many many threads ago, why is it that you feel the need to go out of your way to post telling others they are wrong if they believe Charleston is the best? Who cares if someone living in Charleston thinks it's better than any other city? Is there something wrong with that?

Regardless, the point was made that Charlotte is faster growing and seems to have more jobs. I have never disagreed with you, as we have discussed in previous threads. But I think your idea of "best" or "great cities" differs from, at least, mine.

Is Charlotte growing faster? Yes. I agree. Does Charlotte have more growing companies? Yes. I agree. Does Charlotte have a higher rate of pay? Yes. I agree. Does Charlotte have more jobs? Yes. I agree.

If THESE are the things that allow you to qualify Charlotte as a great city above others, then unfortunately, you live a sad life. To me, a city is about so much more. Charlotte and Charleston both have history, culture, development, attractions, controversy, etc. No one should dispute that. But I think your weight is skewed.

Job market and industry: winner, Charlotte. A larger city = more jobs and bigger industry. Give me an example of that being wrong. Charlotte wins here because of size, not because of particular aspects of its location or culture.

Taxes: winner, Charleston. Luckily, Charleston is a great place when it comes to not wasting money feeding people too lazy to earn for themselves. Low taxes. Love it.

Food: winner, Charleston. There is no doubt that Charleston is a foodie town on par with NYC, Chicago, and San Fran. I'm not saying Charlotte doesn't have that, I'm just saying Charleston is well-known for this aspect. I honestly had no idea until a year ago. It's awesome showing people from NYC what it is like food-wise down here. It blows their mind.

Recreation: winner, Charleston. There might be a higher tally for recreational diversity in Charlotte (I'm guessing), but no one seems to understand how they might be weighted when disregarding personal preference. People generally prefer the beach/waterfront. Some people may not. But property values are high and demand is high for waterfront property. That is just a plain fact. If people didn't want to be by the beach in general, it wouldn't cost so damned much to live there or nearby and wouldn't be so expensive to stay in a beachside hotel. Simple logic shows you that beach proximity drives up value and demand. I love that there is a Carowinds in the Charlotte metro and we don't have one in Charleston. But you just can't beat the beach. I get that some people just don't care about the beach. That's nice. But some people just don't care about the Beatles either.

Tech Industry: winner, both. Both cities have great companies growing at a rapid pace. You can't argue with success in both cities. I realize this is more of a subset of the first point. But I love the tech industry and have been impressed with what I've seen out of both cities.

Traffic: winner, no one. Both cities have terrible traffic. Don't deny this. Don't bother comparing numbers because then it's essentially comparing who has the worst of the worst.

Industry names: winner, ? I don't know the answer to this. Both cities have great companies. I'm an avid follower of Bank of America and feel they are getting shafted for a company they happened to buy out. I don't hold BoA responsible for the actions of a company they acquired. But I also understand that having a large bank, let one a few more, HQed in a city doesn't mean a damn thing. The banking industry is NOTHING to be proud of, so it shouldn't be touted as a positive. When you look at other industries and names, the cities are both even. Meh. Just because Ford or IKEA is in your town doesn't make it any more worthy unless they give back to the community (aside from jobs). I'm pretty sure Google has free wifi for both cities in certain areas.

Appeal: winner, Charleston. Hands down. People love Charleston. I'm not saying they don't love Charlotte, but people love visiting Charleston. You just cannot deny this.

Retail: winner, Charlotte. As expected, the larger city has more retail options. This shouldn't be a surprise. King St. is touted as one of the top 10 streets in the US, though. So it's worthy of mention. But I get it.

Natural disasters: winner, Charlotte. Of course. But if you move to a place based on natural disasters, you're a worry wort and should be shot. Stop being paranoid and live for a change.

Collegiate: winner, no one. I don't care what you have been told but neither city stands out collegiately. Stop pretending it does. They don't.

Late night: winner, Charleston. Both have great night scenes. But combine the usual night scene with the fact that Charleston has top notch food. Yes, the same stuff that is on the Food Network or Travel Channel may be served for you drunk at 2 am on a Friday night. Both cities have a great nightlife, but Charleston has the bonus of being a food city on top of that.

I could go on and on, but it's clear the winner is the Charleston metro.

Listen, I'd love to visit Charlotte. I want to go to the theme parks and attractions and hotels etc. I would never say Charlotte is a terrible place. But when compared with Charleston, it's just a losing cause. Everyone that would ever post here looking for a job comparison should just go to Charleston. Don't bring up salary, because once you have actually worked a job, you can realize how much BS that is (I was offered $110k in Seattle and $120k in Jacksonville). Money means NOTHING when it comes to happiness, so stop using it as an argument. Charleston blows Charlotte out of the water. I understand your envy. It's cute. But not practical. Get over your green envy and live for once, GSP. Maybe people would actually like you then...
 
Old 03-10-2014, 06:55 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,902,437 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Not really sure what that last post means, but I haven't been reading the saga of 40 year old virgins arguing back and forth in previous posts in this thread. Here is what I looked at tonight...

I have been looking at Forbes' fastest growing metros list for years, hoping to see a city I am familiar with and like on it, always disappointed. But searching tonight put Charlotte on the list. I was impressed. GSP, you're right; fastest growing metro. There's no way of dancing around that. It just plain is in the top 10, at least from whatever criteria Forbes uses and I respect that.

Now, to examine the argument at hand, we have to remember that GSP is the one that actually took the first offensive move. People claiming Charleston is the best city or one of the best is not a reason to get upset. One must ask, when you started this many many threads ago, why is it that you feel the need to go out of your way to post telling others they are wrong if they believe Charleston is the best? Who cares if someone living in Charleston thinks it's better than any other city? Is there something wrong with that?

Regardless, the point was made that Charlotte is faster growing and seems to have more jobs. I have never disagreed with you, as we have discussed in previous threads. But I think your idea of "best" or "great cities" differs from, at least, mine.

Is Charlotte growing faster? Yes. I agree. Does Charlotte have more growing companies? Yes. I agree. Does Charlotte have a higher rate of pay? Yes. I agree. Does Charlotte have more jobs? Yes. I agree.

If THESE are the things that allow you to qualify Charlotte as a great city above others, then unfortunately, you live a sad life. To me, a city is about so much more. Charlotte and Charleston both have history, culture, development, attractions, controversy, etc. No one should dispute that. But I think your weight is skewed.

Job market and industry: winner, Charlotte. A larger city = more jobs and bigger industry. Give me an example of that being wrong. Charlotte wins here because of size, not because of particular aspects of its location or culture.

Taxes: winner, Charleston. Luckily, Charleston is a great place when it comes to not wasting money feeding people too lazy to earn for themselves. Low taxes. Love it.

Food: winner, Charleston. There is no doubt that Charleston is a foodie town on par with NYC, Chicago, and San Fran. I'm not saying Charlotte doesn't have that, I'm just saying Charleston is well-known for this aspect. I honestly had no idea until a year ago. It's awesome showing people from NYC what it is like food-wise down here. It blows their mind.

Recreation: winner, Charleston. There might be a higher tally for recreational diversity in Charlotte (I'm guessing), but no one seems to understand how they might be weighted when disregarding personal preference. People generally prefer the beach/waterfront. Some people may not. But property values are high and demand is high for waterfront property. That is just a plain fact. If people didn't want to be by the beach in general, it wouldn't cost so damned much to live there or nearby and wouldn't be so expensive to stay in a beachside hotel. Simple logic shows you that beach proximity drives up value and demand. I love that there is a Carowinds in the Charlotte metro and we don't have one in Charleston. But you just can't beat the beach. I get that some people just don't care about the beach. That's nice. But some people just don't care about the Beatles either.

Tech Industry: winner, both. Both cities have great companies growing at a rapid pace. You can't argue with success in both cities. I realize this is more of a subset of the first point. But I love the tech industry and have been impressed with what I've seen out of both cities.

Traffic: winner, no one. Both cities have terrible traffic. Don't deny this. Don't bother comparing numbers because then it's essentially comparing who has the worst of the worst.

Industry names: winner, ? I don't know the answer to this. Both cities have great companies. I'm an avid follower of Bank of America and feel they are getting shafted for a company they happened to buy out. I don't hold BoA responsible for the actions of a company they acquired. But I also understand that having a large bank, let one a few more, HQed in a city doesn't mean a damn thing. The banking industry is NOTHING to be proud of, so it shouldn't be touted as a positive. When you look at other industries and names, the cities are both even. Meh. Just because Ford or IKEA is in your town doesn't make it any more worthy unless they give back to the community (aside from jobs). I'm pretty sure Google has free wifi for both cities in certain areas.

Appeal: winner, Charleston. Hands down. People love Charleston. I'm not saying they don't love Charlotte, but people love visiting Charleston. You just cannot deny this.

Retail: winner, Charlotte. As expected, the larger city has more retail options. This shouldn't be a surprise. King St. is touted as one of the top 10 streets in the US, though. So it's worthy of mention. But I get it.

Natural disasters: winner, Charlotte. Of course. But if you move to a place based on natural disasters, you're a worry wort and should be shot. Stop being paranoid and live for a change.

Collegiate: winner, no one. I don't care what you have been told but neither city stands out collegiately. Stop pretending it does. They don't.

Late night: winner, Charleston. Both have great night scenes. But combine the usual night scene with the fact that Charleston has top notch food. Yes, the same stuff that is on the Food Network or Travel Channel may be served for you drunk at 2 am on a Friday night. Both cities have a great nightlife, but Charleston has the bonus of being a food city on top of that.

I could go on and on, but it's clear the winner is the Charleston metro.

Listen, I'd love to visit Charlotte. I want to go to the theme parks and attractions and hotels etc. I would never say Charlotte is a terrible place. But when compared with Charleston, it's just a losing cause. Everyone that would ever post here looking for a job comparison should just go to Charleston. Don't bring up salary, because once you have actually worked a job, you can realize how much BS that is (I was offered $110k in Seattle and $120k in Jacksonville). Money means NOTHING when it comes to happiness, so stop using it as an argument. Charleston blows Charlotte out of the water. I understand your envy. It's cute. But not practical. Get over your green envy and live for once, GSP. Maybe people would actually like you then...

Ironic that you said elevating a city using economic indicators is sad but are quick to mention personal salary offers after saying money does not matter......timing would have helped you make your case a little better. But, everyone seems to make 6 figures on this site, who would have thought.

Anyway, just some questions, why do you get so worked up over Charleston when you have only lived there a year? I have seen post where you highlight someone's opinion and tell others to disregard it, you kept talking crap about me starting Charlotte arguments (I use it a lot for illustrative purposes but in this case CD initiated the Charlotte talk), you have written about shooting up schools and other direct personal attacks and talk about someone should be shot in the paragraph above......why? And, you have some obsession with not liking people on the Internet.....sad. Chill out. The folks from Greenville and Columbia have just as much pride in their city without these childish rants. that is specific to Charleston.

As for Charlotte's economic data......what took you so long to look at the data? You have written a lot of personal crap when the data was there all along.

As for the non quantitative opinions, they are opinions. I think Charlotte exceeds Charleston in most categories including restaurants (did you really say Charleston is on par with SF? That is funny.....Charleston has some good restaurants in small numbers, SF has thousands of good restaurants....can't believe you actually said that). Some folks will like Charleston, some won't...it happens. It is not worth talking about killing people if the don't like Charleston. 500k people moved to Charlotte in the last decade, the equivalent of almost all of Charleston, some people like it here too. As for people looking for jobs, it depends on what you want but Charlotte offers many more opportunities than Charleston, Raleigh offers more job opportunities than Charleston. So, while you think Charleston is great, for others, Charlotte is is a different league. But don't be upset, that is how the world works, no need to talk about shooting people.
 
Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC metro
3,518 posts, read 4,402,955 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Ironic that you said elevating a city using economic indicators is sad but are quick to mention personal salary offers after saying money does not matter......timing would have helped you make your case a little better. But, everyone seems to make 6 figures on this site, who would have thought.
Not sure how you interpreted it that way; my point was that I was offered those salaries and I turned them down to live in a better place.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Anyway, just some questions, why do you get so worked up over Charleston when you have only lived there a year?
Why wouldn't I? I did the work to research and move. Why wouldn't I vehemently defend my work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I have seen post where you highlight someone's opinion and tell others to disregard it, you kept talking crap about me starting Charlotte arguments (I use it a lot for illustrative purposes but in this case CD initiated the Charlotte talk), you have written about shooting up schools and other direct personal attacks and talk about someone should be shot in the paragraph above......why? And, you have some obsession with not liking people on the Internet.....sad. Chill out. The folks from Greenville and Columbia have just as much pride in their city without these childish rants. that is specific to Charleston.

As for Charlotte's economic data......what took you so long to look at the data? You have written a lot of personal crap when the data was there all along.
I relied on the personal and avoided the facts because I knew I was right all along and didn't need to bother (this is normally the case for me). It's boring to get down to a serious conversation that only ends up with just opinions on both sides. You're the one that is so insecure about your city of dwelling that you feel the need to jump on anyone from Charleston. If someone likes an area, no need to attempt to rain on them. Just move along. But alas, it's time for me to talk some sense into you and tossed in the towel. It seemed to work. It shut you up for many hours; a first around here. I can just hear the cheers from others that have to deal with you in the forums regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
As for the non quantitative opinions, they are opinions. I think Charlotte exceeds Charleston in most categories including restaurants (did you really say Charleston is on par with SF? That is funny.....Charleston has some good restaurants in small numbers, SF has thousands of good restaurants....can't believe you actually said that). Some folks will like Charleston, some won't...it happens. It is not worth talking about killing people if the don't like Charleston. 500k people moved to Charlotte in the last decade, the equivalent of almost all of Charleston, some people like it here too. As for people looking for jobs, it depends on what you want but Charlotte offers many more opportunities than Charleston, Raleigh offers more job opportunities than Charleston. So, while you think Charleston is great, for others, Charlotte is is a different league. But don't be upset, that is how the world works, no need to talk about shooting people.
Unfortunately, you're wrong about the restaurants. "Charleston has some good restaurants in small numbers". I'm not sure 100+ is "small numbers". Especially considering the relative size of the city. It's funny as for an unrelated task earlier today, I compiled a list of 131 restaurants within driving distance of work that I haven't been to yet! And yes, many would put Charleston on par with San Fran. Accept it. You wouldn't put Charleston on par with NYC either but there sure are a hell of a lot of people moving here from there!

Some folks will like Charlotte; some folks won't. It's a rough world. Some day you'll be able to let go and realize the errors of your ways. I forgive you.

Now let's hope for more than 20 hours this time...
 
Old 03-10-2014, 07:30 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,902,437 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Not sure how you interpreted it that way; my point was that I was offered those salaries and I turned them down to live in a better place.

Why wouldn't I? I did the work to research and move. Why wouldn't I vehemently defend my work?

I relied on the personal and avoided the facts because I knew I was right all along and didn't need to bother (this is normally the case for me). It's boring to get down to a serious conversation that only ends up with just opinions on both sides. You're the one that is so insecure about your city of dwelling that you feel the need to jump on anyone from Charleston. If someone likes an area, no need to attempt to rain on them. Just move along. But alas, it's time for me to talk some sense into you and tossed in the towel. It seemed to work. It shut you up for many hours; a first around here. I can just hear the cheers from others that have to deal with you in the forums regularly.

Unfortunately, you're wrong about the restaurants. "Charleston has some good restaurants in small numbers". I'm not sure 100+ is "small numbers". Especially considering the relative size of the city. It's funny as for an unrelated task earlier today, I compiled a list of 131 restaurants within driving distance of work that I haven't been to yet! And yes, many would put Charleston on par with San Fran. Accept it. You wouldn't put Charleston on par with NYC either but there sure are a hell of a lot of people moving here from there!

Some folks will like Charlotte; some folks won't. It's a rough world. Some day you'll be able to let go and realize the errors of your ways. I forgive you.
So, this is not as much about Charleston as some silly point about defending your work to prove you were right. Interesting. And the salaries were about living in a better place.....Charleston over Seattle??? Right.

You seriously have issues if you think you talk sense into anyone on the Internet, that is pathetic. But, I see where you are coming from, you think you are smarter than anyone else. That's fine, I don't care. You were wrong about Charlotte and your interpretation of extrapolating travel magazine polls into meaningful information, we all have bad days., no big deal.

And actually, 100+ restaurants is a small number, especially for SF. With that number you are more like Columbia and Greenville which have over 100 restaurants downtown........I won't bother with the Charlotte numbers, you can look those up by neighborhood if you want. FYI, a lot of the 500k people who moved to Charlotte in the last decade are also from NYC, it's the financial center thing. A lot of folks from NYC have also moved to Columbia and Greenville.

From all of the posts on this board, yours are the most self absorbed and borderline crazy. Talking about people getting shot and shooting up schools is absolutely terrible. But, if you are obsessed with being "right", heck, that does not even make sense.
 
Old 03-10-2014, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC metro
3,518 posts, read 4,402,955 times
Reputation: 1386
Shoot, he only made it 30 minutes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top