U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 07:13 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,902,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
He officially revealed and announced his BID for a team in 1987. If he announced the BID for the team in 87......he and his group had been planning and exploring the idea for, what, at least 2 years? They're businessmen. They don't announce huge plans without a lot of background planning and investigating done......even us tip-workers in Charleston know that. You don't obviously. Growing up in the SC upstate, there were rumors of Spartanburg, SC native Jerry Richardson trying to get the NFL in the Carolinas throughout the early-mid 80's due to his thriving Hardees business. You are ignorant on this topic.

Charleston's "best years" of growth in the past....were prior to Boeing and the aerospace tech expanding here. Charleston will grow faster in the next 20 years than the past 20 years.

And the NFL doesn't have a rule barring two teams in one state.

You think the Dolphins and Bucs welcomed a new team in Florida? (Jacksonville)
You think the Cowboys wanted the Texas to come in-state?
You think Kansas City (Missouri) wanted the Rams to leave LA and relocated to St Louis, Missouri?

But, either way, you live in Charlotte. This is a SC forum. How about go enjoy your Wal-Mart metro area. We'll enjoy our smaller, more intimate one.
Here are the facts.....Richardson did not start dreaming about the reality of the NFL until the late 80's. He started talking about it with Hugh McColl at NCNB and then with the NFL. The team was awarded in October of 1993. In no way was Richardson organizing in 1985. Besides, metro Charlotte was muh anger than 500k even then and with large businesses that Charleston lacks.

I used Charleson's previous 2 years growth.....post Boeing, which also includes a ton of retirees which have a definite timeframe.

No one said One state. SC was always included with the Panthers. It is the home market. Besides Florida has 16m+ people, Texas is close to 30m, not good examples. Forget it, it won't happen. Glad you love Charleston, just keep perspective and keep your facts straight.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:38 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,010,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Here are the facts.....Richardson did not start dreaming about the reality of the NFL until the late 80's. He started talking about it with Hugh McColl at NCNB and then with the NFL. The team was awarded in October of 1993. In no way was Richardson organizing in 1985. Besides, metro Charlotte was muh anger than 500k even then and with large businesses that Charleston lacks.

I used Charleson's previous 2 years growth.....post Boeing, which also includes a ton of retirees which have a definite timeframe.

No one said One state. SC was always included with the Panthers. It is the home market. Besides Florida has 16m+ people, Texas is close to 30m, not good examples. Forget it, it won't happen. Glad you love Charleston, just keep perspective and keep your facts straight.
So, if he only started to "dream" about it in the late 80s.............how did he make his OFFICIAL announcement of a bid for a team on December 15th, 1987? Oh.....ouch, that hurts doesn't it. I wonder...if his official announcement of a bid was 12/15/87.....how long before did he begin daydreaming, planning, talking to partners? OR, like any good businessman, did he just wake up on 12/14/87 and say "Heck with it, I'm announcing an NFL team bid tomorrow!!!"

In the mid 80's, the population of Mecklenburg County was less than the population of 2014 Greenville County. Just for perspective. Fact.

So, for arguments sake, if Richardson officially announced his bid for a team on December 15th, 1987 (FACT), how long before that did he daydream and research this plan? 1 day? 1 week? 1 year? Or, like any good businessman, a few years? Since you think it was, well, 1 day, I know YOU don't work for big business in Charlotte haha!!

Old 03-16-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
So, if he only started to "dream" about it in the late 80s.............how did he make his OFFICIAL announcement of a bid for a team on December 15th, 1987? Oh.....ouch, that hurts doesn't it. I wonder...if his official announcement of a bid was 12/15/87.....how long before did he begin daydreaming, planning, talking to partners? OR, like any good businessman, did he just wake up on 12/14/87 and say "Heck with it, I'm announcing an NFL team bid tomorrow!!!"

In the mid 80's, the population of Mecklenburg County was less than the population of 2014 Greenville County. Just for perspective. Fact.

So, for arguments sake, if Richardson officially announced his bid for a team on December 15th, 1987 (FACT), how long before that did he daydream and research this plan? 1 day? 1 week? 1 year? Or, like any good businessman, a few years? Since you think it was, well, 1 day, I know YOU don't work for big business in Charlotte haha!!
Carolina Panthers | History

In 1987, he met with Charlotte officials to discuss the feasibility of the NFL in Charlotte. According to this, it was 1987 when he first started talking about the NFL. So, yes, he DID start talking to groups about the Panthers for the first time in 1987. Since you are not in business, you may not know the sequence of events. It was 5 years before the NFL started to reduce the list, plenty of time to get things together. AND, metro Charlotte was over 1m. If you quit trying to attack me, you may understand. In any case, Charleston is not even at Charlotte's level in 1987, IF you had 1m residents AND a decent sized business community, you would be like Charlotte in 1987. As it is, it will take you another 20-25 years to hit 1m in metro Charleston.

Now, try reading the content and quit this personally attack crap.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Carolina Panthers | History

In 1987, he met with Charlotte officials to discuss the feasibility of the NFL in Charlotte. According to this, it was 1987 when he first started talking about the NFL. So, yes, he DID start talking to groups about the Panthers for the first time in 1987. Since you are not in business, you may not know the sequence of events. It was 5 years before the NFL started to reduce the list, plenty of time to get things together. AND, metro Charlotte was over 1m. If you quit trying to attack me, you may understand. In any case, Charleston is not even at Charlotte's level in 1987, IF you had 1m residents AND a decent sized business community, you would be like Charlotte in 1987. As it is, it will take you another 20-25 years to hit 1m in metro Charleston.

Now, try reading the content and quit this personally attack crap.
He ANNOUNCED the bid on December 15th, 1987. His team took the field 8 years later. I guarantee, when he showed up to that meeting with Charlotte officials in 1987 (when in 1987? You have no facts, no link)......I guarantee he had paperwork and data to present. He didnt' just stroll in and say "Hey boys, maybe we need an NFL team". He had his background work together. Its why he is a successful man in many business ventures.

I never argued anything you're saying I did. I suggested in 10-15 years, could Charleston or Columbia daydream about it, like Richardson did in the mid 80's.......when Mecklenburg County was SMALLER in population than Greenville County is today.

But, honestly, I hope to God that Charleston NEVER does become like Charlotte. I prefer boutique shops and bed and breakfasts over a Wal-Mart and Holiday Inn experience.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:04 PM

2,012 posts, read 2,097,522 times
I see Charleston going more for a niche sport like Soccer rather than Football honestly

Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
He ANNOUNCED the bid on December 15th, 1987. His team took the field 8 years later. I guarantee, when he showed up to that meeting with Charlotte officials in 1987 (when in 1987? You have no facts, no link)......I guarantee he had paperwork and data to present. He didnt' just stroll in and say "Hey boys, maybe we need an NFL team". He had his background work together. Its why he is a successful man in many business ventures.

I never argued anything you're saying I did. I suggested in 10-15 years, could Charleston or Columbia daydream about it, like Richardson did in the mid 80's.......when Mecklenburg County was SMALLER in population than Greenville County is today.

But, honestly, I hope to God that Charleston NEVER does become like Charlotte. I prefer boutique shops and bed and breakfasts over a Wal-Mart and Holiday Inn experience.
You don't get it, you don't just look at county data for the NFL. Charlotte's metro was over 1m.

So, now you are speaking for JJR? Actually, it does not matter either way, Charleston won't be ready in 20 years. It's a dumb dream.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
I see Charleston going more for a niche sport like Soccer rather than Football honestly
That's a great point actually. The Charleston Battery pro soccer team here hosts a lot of MLS teams. The Seattle Sounders were here a couple weeks ago. The Battery gets nice crowds.

But, the most successful one is the SC Stingrays hockey team. They usually fill the 10,000 seat coliseum. With so many Northern transplants moving down, and NHL team would be far more likely in 10-15 years than any other sport.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
You don't get it, you don't just look at county data for the NFL. Charlotte's metro was over 1m.

So, now you are speaking for JJR? Actually, it does not matter either way, Charleston won't be ready in 20 years. It's a dumb dream.
Columbia's metro will be over 1M soon too. They were the other city that I said in 10-15 years could "daydream" of an NFL team.

And you're right, Charleston, even if and when it tops 1M people, wont be an NFL city.

See....unlike Charlotte, there is so much unique stuff down here to entertain people and things people want to get outdoors and do.......we don't need the Panthers or Hornets to entertain and/or distract us from what is otherwise a very generic, bland surrounding.

You ready to head back to the NC/Charlotte forums yet?

Old 03-16-2014, 08:42 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,402,955 times
Quote:
One can only hope...

I wonder if he posts in Alabama's forum as well. Or Montana's?

Old 03-16-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Columbia's metro will be over 1M soon too. They were the other city that I said in 10-15 years could "daydream" of an NFL team.

And you're right, Charleston, even if and when it tops 1M people, wont be an NFL city.

See....unlike Charlotte, there is so much unique stuff down here to entertain people and things people want to get outdoors and do.......we don't need the Panthers or Hornets to entertain and/or distract us from what is otherwise a very generic, bland surrounding.

Give it up.....you are now arguing against a thread you started.

Like your city, quit living in the past full of generic strip malls.

So, what is so unique that no other city as it? A beach? Shops on King Street? Savannah and Wilmington have historic districts. Boston has historic war memorials. Restaurants....every city has good restaurants. lighthouse.....outer banks are full of them, a bridge(your favorite), we have tall bridges in Charlotte, a creek (another of your favorites)....,they are everywhere, seafood.....got it in abundance,

So, Charleston does not have anything tht can't be Found elsewhere.

Arrogance....Charleston has that, sorry...you have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or