U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-17-2014, 10:10 AM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,010,704 times
Reputation: 869

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
So, after all of this garbage, you just like to argue and use magazines as proof of your argument. And, you can't come up with anything in Charleston that can't be found elsewhere. But, keep on believing Charleston is on par with London and Paris......that is laughable. Since you started a thread about he NFL in Charleston, please start that thread.......is Charleston on par with London and Paris, arrogance is a terrible thing to waste, we'll all get a laugh out of that.

As for FD's, I know way more than you can imagine. We'll leave it at that but, I don't know many(any) firemen who would post the silly garbage that you have. In fact, I bet Charlotte's FD likes Charleston, seems as though arrogance in Charleston even corrupts the FD, sad.
Um.......YOU came to this forum buddy. You and only you are the person who lives in a city that is a NC city, but, come to the SC forum because you have some long-seeded grudge against Charleston.

Did I say Charleston is "on par" with those other places? No. Did I say they are all included in some lists together? Yes. And they are. And its not just NatGeo. Several globally known sources of media have before included Charleston along with those other cities. You still have this hangup on "size" being the end-all to any discussion. Well, Mexico City is far bigger than Charlotte. Guess Mexico City is better, huh? Wal-Mart is much bigger than Target. Guess Wal-Mart is automatically better too huh?

I wont address FD's anymore. You have absolutely no clue about that topic.

I bet I know how we can gauge it. Lets take Atlanta for example: A city that is FAR bigger and better in every way than Charlotte.

What if we surveyed 1,000,000 Atlanta Metro residents (that would only be what, 15%-20% of it, wow, kinda dwarfs Charlotte huh?).

And what if those Atlanta Metro residents were offered a chance to spend 3-4 weeks, all expenses paid, in either Charlotte or Charleston. Basically live there for a month.

Which would they pick?

I'd guess, at least 85% would pick Charleston. Maybe over 90%.

Enjoy your Wal-Mart city. Big. Successful. Offers nothing special.

 
Old 03-17-2014, 10:11 AM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,010,704 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
I heard that Greenville County is looking to establish a professional Badminton Team


Sounds nice and physical
No way, they cant have one. Charlotte probably has 200 pro badminton teams. GSP said Greenville is too close to the Charlotte mecha-godzilla-metro area, and thus, cannot dream of any pro team
 
Old 03-17-2014, 11:17 AM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,010,704 times
Reputation: 869
Charleston lands on yet ANOTHER list rubbing shoulders with Paris, Rome, etc:

Worlds Top 10 Most Romantic Cities:
World's best cities for romance - CNN.com

1- Paris
2- Venice
3- Carmel, CA
4- Florence, Italy
5- Honolulu
6- Quebec City
7- San Francisco
8- Rome
9- Cape Town
10 - Charleston, SC

Wow. Our Chamber of Commerce deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for somehow, someway, ALWAYS finding schemes and tricks and plots to land little ole insignificant Charleston on these lists with such famous cities, right GSP? Maybe Charlotte could hire the Charleston Chamber of Commerce staff away and do the same up there??
 
Old 03-17-2014, 12:06 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,902,437 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Um.......YOU came to this forum buddy. You and only you are the person who lives in a city that is a NC city, but, come to the SC forum because you have some long-seeded grudge against Charleston.

Did I say Charleston is "on par" with those other places? No. Did I say they are all included in some lists together? Yes. And they are. And its not just NatGeo. Several globally known sources of media have before included Charleston along with those other cities. You still have this hangup on "size" being the end-all to any discussion. Well, Mexico City is far bigger than Charlotte. Guess Mexico City is better, huh? Wal-Mart is much bigger than Target. Guess Wal-Mart is automatically better too huh?

I wont address FD's anymore. You have absolutely no clue about that topic.

I bet I know how we can gauge it. Lets take Atlanta for example: A city that is FAR bigger and better in every way than Charlotte.

What if we surveyed 1,000,000 Atlanta Metro residents (that would only be what, 15%-20% of it, wow, kinda dwarfs Charlotte huh?).

And what if those Atlanta Metro residents were offered a chance to spend 3-4 weeks, all expenses paid, in either Charlotte or Charleston. Basically live there for a month.

Which would they pick?

I'd guess, at least 85% would pick Charleston. Maybe over 90%.

Enjoy your Wal-Mart city. Big. Successful. Offers nothing special.
So, are you the gate keeper of the SC forum and decides who can post? Get over it. If you pay attention, a lot of posts are from non SC residents.

Back to your loser argument, look, I don't and have never had a problem with Atlanta. I fully realize how it differs from Charlotte. Unlike you, I am not ignorant enough to talk trash in a losing cause.

You started a silly thread about getting the NFL. I disagreed and pointed out why Charleston is not there and won't be there due to a number of factors. You can not accept reality and started in some wild circular loser argument in trying to trash Charlotte. You have used the Charleston is wealthy argument which was wrong, you have used the growth argument which was wrong, heck, you tried trashing people who work in offices which is funny because Charleston wants more of that. You even played the ''we are about lifestyle" argument right before talking about wealth.....another of your circular loser arguments, all of your arguments about Charleston were wrong. Did you go to CCU, I now have even less respect for that high school. So, you resort to magazine rankings, yay.

Glad you are on another list, Peoria is also on some of these lists which shows the credibility of media rankings. But, using magazine ranking to suggest. Charleston is on par with or has anything in common with Paris, London, SF, New Orleans, Atlanta, Charlotte, NYC, or another city is a joke.
But, if your logic is that we are on a list together therefore we must be similar, congratulations, you are now Peoria.

But interestingly enough, you have failed miserably in noting any unique to Charleston characteristics that can't be found elsewhere.

Last edited by GSP101; 03-17-2014 at 12:17 PM..
 
Old 03-17-2014, 01:47 PM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,010,704 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
So, are you the gate keeper of the SC forum and decides who can post? Get over it. If you pay attention, a lot of posts are from non SC residents.

Back to your loser argument, look, I don't and have never had a problem with Atlanta. I fully realize how it differs from Charlotte. Unlike you, I am not ignorant enough to talk trash in a losing cause.

You started a silly thread about getting the NFL. I disagreed and pointed out why Charleston is not there and won't be there due to a number of factors. You can not accept reality and started in some wild circular loser argument in trying to trash Charlotte. You have used the Charleston is wealthy argument which was wrong, you have used the growth argument which was wrong, heck, you tried trashing people who work in offices which is funny because Charleston wants more of that. You even played the ''we are about lifestyle" argument right before talking about wealth.....another of your circular loser arguments, all of your arguments about Charleston were wrong. Did you go to CCU, I now have even less respect for that high school. So, you resort to magazine rankings, yay.

Glad you are on another list, Peoria is also on some of these lists which shows the credibility of media rankings. But, using magazine ranking to suggest. Charleston is on par with or has anything in common with Paris, London, SF, New Orleans, Atlanta, Charlotte, NYC, or another city is a joke.
But, if your logic is that we are on a list together therefore we must be similar, congratulations, you are now Peoria.

But interestingly enough, you have failed miserably in noting any unique to Charleston characteristics that can't be found elsewhere.
You call it "circular" arguments. I just call it.....realizing Charleston offers everything except mountains really.

I noted many unique characteristics. And all those lists (which Charlotte is always left off of) that include all those great cities you listed.....well, many of those folks found things about Charleston unique enough to include them along with those cities.

As for the forum, no, Im not the gatekeeper. I just enjoy picking at you after your bitterness and anger towards Charleston was shown. And you keep coming back for more. Fair enough?

You'll enjoy my new link showing Charleston as the 11th best economy of all large cities in the US (Charlotte was only 27th). But then again, its just a list with data and research and....well, not reliable.
 
Old 03-17-2014, 03:25 PM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,010,704 times
Reputation: 869
GSP, take a look at the "Gold List" of global hotels, the best of the best.

In the United States, many made the Gold List, and by state, they break it down.

Charlotte had 1. The Ritz-Carlton.

Charleston.........had 9.

Gold List 2014: Best Hotels in the United States : Condé Nast Traveler
 
Old 03-17-2014, 06:32 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,902,437 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
You call it "circular" arguments. I just call it.....realizing Charleston offers everything except mountains really.

I noted many unique characteristics. And all those lists (which Charlotte is always left off of) that include all those great cities you listed.....well, many of those folks found things about Charleston unique enough to include them along with those cities.

As for the forum, no, Im not the gatekeeper. I just enjoy picking at you after your bitterness and anger towards Charleston was shown. And you keep coming back for more. Fair enough?

You'll enjoy my new link showing Charleston as the 11th best economy of all large cities in the US (Charlotte was only 27th). But then again, its just a list with data and research and....well, not reliable.
No, they are circular arguments, you have nothing else so you are grasping at anything to see what sticks.

And not, you have not listed anything that is unique about Charleston that can't be done elsewhere, keep trying.

As for Charlotte and your study, the study weighed IT at 28% and the location quotients at that. In other words, how strong is IT within the makeup of Charleston's overall job picture. It is still below the national baseline (Charlotte is too) but Charleston has an IT base of about 5k jobs, Charlotte is in the low 20's. Neither is going to scare SF but the study is basing over 1/4 of the outcome on metrics related to this. IN other words, Charleston is not good, it is more like going from a single wide to a double wide. As for income, Charleston County has a per capita income of 29.8 and has roughly mirrored the national trend. Charlotte is at 33k. Median income, Charlotte (Meck County) is roughly 12% higher at 56k v 50.2. Educational levels are 5% higher in Charlotte and the poverty rate is 22% lower.

You can argue about media lists and specific studies which define the parameters on a narrow basis but, it is not worth looking at, Charlotte is in a different place.

As for hotels.........who cares. Did you see that Charlotte's Southpark and Ballantyne districts have more office space than all of downtown Charleston.....did you see where Charlotte has 60 story buildings and Charleston, well.......you have a bridge? See how dumb these lists are?
 
Old 03-17-2014, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC metro
3,518 posts, read 4,402,955 times
Reputation: 1386
A whole page of lists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CDC : Charleston - Accolades
 
Old 03-17-2014, 08:25 PM
 
2,012 posts, read 2,097,522 times
Reputation: 402
North Carolina is in the news to though guys! I've seen plenty of articles talking about the Duke spills....
 
Old 03-18-2014, 09:02 PM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,010,704 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
No, they are circular arguments, you have nothing else so you are grasping at anything to see what sticks.

And not, you have not listed anything that is unique about Charleston that can't be done elsewhere, keep trying.

As for Charlotte and your study, the study weighed IT at 28% and the location quotients at that. In other words, how strong is IT within the makeup of Charleston's overall job picture. It is still below the national baseline (Charlotte is too) but Charleston has an IT base of about 5k jobs, Charlotte is in the low 20's. Neither is going to scare SF but the study is basing over 1/4 of the outcome on metrics related to this. IN other words, Charleston is not good, it is more like going from a single wide to a double wide. As for income, Charleston County has a per capita income of 29.8 and has roughly mirrored the national trend. Charlotte is at 33k. Median income, Charlotte (Meck County) is roughly 12% higher at 56k v 50.2. Educational levels are 5% higher in Charlotte and the poverty rate is 22% lower.

You can argue about media lists and specific studies which define the parameters on a narrow basis but, it is not worth looking at, Charlotte is in a different place.

As for hotels.........who cares. Did you see that Charlotte's Southpark and Ballantyne districts have more office space than all of downtown Charleston.....did you see where Charlotte has 60 story buildings and Charleston, well.......you have a bridge? See how dumb these lists are?
Haha, you sound silly. Office space and some tall buildings. That's what Charlotte has to offer?

I'll take the beach any day. Have fun up in the Wal-Mart city of the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top