U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 05:14 PM

202 posts, read 243,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
It is legit, look it up.

Duke is headquartered in Charlotte. The 2nd biggest and newest skyscraper is Dukes.......paid for in part by overcharging their customers and being allowed to dump toxins into the ground without consequence.
nah, coal comes from the earth. Only environmental extremists would call it or coal ash toxic.

Charlotte didn't recruit get Duke. Utitilty companies are located in or near every major metro. If your point is to beat up on Charlotte you should focus on decisions of Charlotte government people. JMO

Old 03-19-2014, 05:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,004,876 times
Dumping coal ash into ground water is not good. We could discuss that in depth, but, its not worth the debate. Kinda like saying drinking motor oil is unhealthy....then needing a debate.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Dumping coal ash into ground water is not good. We could discuss that in depth, but, its not worth the debate. Kinda like saying drinking motor oil is unhealthy....then needing a debate.
nah well you guys still talking about global warming when snowfall and cold temp records are occurring right now. You don't live in the real world. You were born on a soapbox

They didn't dump it into the water as you describe. You aren't even describing what happened in a rational unbiased way. Go out of propaganda mode every now and then.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esso View Post
nah well you guys still talking about global warming when snowfall and cold temp records are occurring right now. You don't live in the real world. You were born on a soapbox

They didn't dump it into the water as you describe. You aren't even describing what happened in a rational unbiased way. Go out of propaganda mode every now and then.
I'll admit not having done in depth research on the topic. Numerous news sources covered it.

But if you are gonna argue that burnt coal ash is ok to dump into ground water....is ok.....then we'll agree to disagree.

I'm also NOT a global warming loon. I'm neutral on that topic. I've seen good arguments from both sides, and my take is neither knows really what the truth is, so obviously neither do it.

But I do know I wouldn't want burnt coal ash in my water.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I'll admit not having done in depth research on the topic. Numerous news sources covered it.

But if you are gonna argue that burnt coal ash is ok to dump into ground water....is ok.....then we'll agree to disagree.

I'm also NOT a global warming loon. I'm neutral on that topic. I've seen good arguments from both sides, and my take is neither knows really what the truth is, so obviously neither do it.

But I do know I wouldn't want burnt coal ash in my water.
Your premise is that Duke Energy people do want coal ash in their water. Is that reasonable and fair? Probably not.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Your premise is that Duke Energy people do want coal ash in their water. Is that reasonable and fair? Probably not.
http://www.catawbariverkeeper.org/is...e-need-to-know

No. If given the choice of simply being there or not, they'd rather it not be. BUT, given the choice of A) Ash being in the water or B) Spending billions of their money to clean it up

They'll choose B.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
http://www.catawbariverkeeper.org/is...e-need-to-know

No. If given the choice of simply being there or not, they'd rather it not be. BUT, given the choice of A) Ash being in the water or B) Spending billions of their money to clean it up

They'll choose B.
lol, yeah if they know if the harm to t he environment is neglibile. You are for them spending billions to clean it up because you don't have a payroll to meet.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
lol, yeah if they know if the harm to t he environment is neglibile. You are for them spending billions to clean it up because you don't have a payroll to meet.
No, but I do drink water. So do many people in and around those waterways.

Unfortunately, meeting payroll and satisfying shareholders often trumps what is good for society. And that certainly isn't just at Duke Power either.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
No, but I do drink water. So do many people in and around those waterways.

Unfortunately, meeting payroll and satisfying shareholders often trumps what is good for society. And that certainly isn't just at Duke Power either.
The first thing you need to do is prove that the cleanup is a billion dollar effort. Duke Energy will be passing along costs for any billion dollar cleanup to power users. Over the top reactionary responses to accidents isn't necessarily good for society and consumers.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
The first thing you need to do is prove that the cleanup is a billion dollar effort. Duke Energy will be passing along costs for any billion dollar cleanup to power users. Over the top reactionary responses to accidents isn't necessarily good for society and consumers.
They've already said in response to the media coverage that it will be passed along to customers. It sucks, but, that's true.

But, if they raise rates to pay for this.........I bet CEO, execs and shareholders still get sweet paydays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or