U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-30-2014, 09:16 PM
 
2,012 posts, read 2,097,522 times
Reputation: 402

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Ayers View Post
That doesn't show growth in demos, just population. Regardless, Charleston is a college town, multiple colleges in fact, plus MUSC has tons of medical students. I'm talking about college educated young people moving in for good jobs. Greenville blows away Charleston in that category.

Charleston does have a lot of young people there willing to live in near poverty to be near beach. Oops, I meant near history and architecture.
This is what people don't like about you Esso, you twist facts into lies and never post anything to back up your claims.

 
Old 10-30-2014, 09:18 PM
 
2,012 posts, read 2,097,522 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Ayers View Post
That doesn't show growth in demos, just population. Regardless, Charleston is a college town, multiple colleges in fact, plus MUSC has tons of medical students. I'm talking about college educated young people moving in for good jobs. Greenville blows away Charleston in that category.

Charleston does have a lot of young people there willing to live in near poverty to be near beach. Oops, I meant near history and architecture.

You saw the CNN list ranking Greenville top 10 with no Columbia or Charleston. You dimissed it without stating why. Did you think I would not notice. You have much to learn, grasshopper.
I dismissed it because you didn't post a source. Remember that post it was on the last page. It wasn't that long ago. The numbers that i posted actually had a source. Do you understand that? SOURCES. YOU. NEED. TO. ACTUALLY. HAVE. THEM.
 
Old 10-30-2014, 09:23 PM
 
2,012 posts, read 2,097,522 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Ayers View Post
I alluded to CNN list which you found and then just swept under rug. What's the point of evidence if you dismiss it. That's CNN....your people's trusted news source. I have more reason to doubt CNN than you do.

Esso?

I've already stated that I prefer no growth or more people moving out of Greenville than moving in. Why do I care about growth if I have a job and I like living here? I was born and raised in SC and spent my college youth days at Clemson. This is my home, not just a place with a downtown that has dazzled me.
Your people? Fine I concede to the master troll.... You win Esso I just can't deal with your bull **** anymore.
 
Old 10-30-2014, 09:25 PM
 
2,012 posts, read 2,097,522 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Ayers View Post
I just mean people who watch Jon Stewart. Low information college youths. You are young, no? In college? I am good at guessing ages on the internets.
I don't watch Stewart Colbert is funnier. And ya I suppose it doesn't take much to get into Clemson....
 
Old 10-30-2014, 09:29 PM
 
2,012 posts, read 2,097,522 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Ayers View Post
It doesn't if you apply to textile science or agriculture degrees. Dirty little secrete most everybody knows.

Of course, I applied to the prestigious engineering school.

Colbert is same thing as Stewart. Pandering to same demo. Same demo that gets info from CNN, MSNBC. I cite CNN and you dismiss it. I don't know what else I can do.
Ya like I said easy to get into..... also you can post an actual legitimate site or at least one that uses a legitimate site for reference like say the Census bureau as mine did.
 
Old 10-30-2014, 09:30 PM
 
2,012 posts, read 2,097,522 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Ayers View Post
Do you attend Clemson or no?
Yes, in the engineering school.
 
Old 10-30-2014, 09:34 PM
 
2,012 posts, read 2,097,522 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Ayers View Post
Computer?
Mechanical
 
Old 10-30-2014, 09:40 PM
 
Location: SC
8,792 posts, read 5,655,771 times
Reputation: 12805
No way. And Green Bay is not a correct comparison. Green Bay is an anomaly - the only reason a team can be successful there is because there is NOTHING else anywhere around. The Packers draw from almost the entire state because they are the only show in town - almost the only show in the whole state, they can exist without competition.

Here is an example of how popular they are in the state. When I lived there, there was a stock sale (the team is owned by the city - not by a private owner like the rest of sports). For $250 a share, you could buy stock in the team. What does this share get you? No voting rights. No dividend. No financial benefits. No shot at a season ticket - that are almost always sold out. Hell, you don't ever have the right to sell that share to ANYONE. What can you do with your share of stock? Frame it - and hang it on the wall. That is the only value it has. Yet Green Bayers(?) flock to the stadium to buy this worthless paper.

If there was another team within a hundred miles, or anything to do other than tipping cows and giving your money to the local tribes, the city would not be so devoted.
 
Old 10-31-2014, 10:57 AM
 
Location: SC
8,792 posts, read 5,655,771 times
Reputation: 12805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Ayers View Post
Couldn't you say Greenville equals Green Bay? Cow tipping is something I've always done here.

Lot of cities could sustain a NFL team. But there are only so many NFL teams and they obviously going to locate in bigger cities first for the most part, and two are already close enough to SC.

Most NFL teams are bad because there are only about 7 consistently good quarterbacks because NFL defenses are so quick. Panthers are always one of the worst teams. I can live without that franchise in my city. lol Don't see how any pulls for Cam Newtown, everybody knows he got paid to pay at Auburn.
Here is my "totally unscientific" guess at why it wouldn't work...

Within the Green Bay circle you can see competitors:
Chicago Bears (211 miles)
Just outside the circle are:
Minnesota (437 Miles) and
Detroit (492 Miles)


Within the Greenville circle are:
Charlotte (104 Miles)
Nashville (346 Miles)
Atlanta (145 Miles)

Just outside the circle are:
Cincinnati (417 Miles) and
Washington (495 Miles)
Jacksonville (460 Miles)


In addition, the Packers are drawing from a state of 5.7 Million with very little competition for that crowd.
A Greenville team would have to pull from only 4.7 Million in the state with significant competition nearby.

It just seems (to me) a little tight to slip another team in there. Especially since the population around Greenville is very rural and not really well to do.

Green Bay does not operate for profit. Could a Greenville team operate at cost and not for profit too?
Attached Thumbnails
NFL team in South Carolina? Would Governor support it?-green-bay.bmp   NFL team in South Carolina? Would Governor support it?-greenville.bmp  

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 10-31-2014 at 11:07 AM..
 
Old 10-31-2014, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Greer
1,611 posts, read 2,028,505 times
Reputation: 1131
Green Bay is indeed an anomoly, they are there because of history. The world was a different place almost a century ago when the Packers started. If there never had been a Green Bay Packers team, there wouldn't be one started there today. They would probably start one in Milwaukee instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top