Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 06:37 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Does Charlotte have anything of note? At least Charleston has our old churches and the landmark bridge, largest in the hemisphere last i checked....
Are you joking or just don't know? No one questions Charleston's history, in it's day, it was a major city. Those days have passed but Charlotte has many things of note. From a business perspective, it is one of America's financial centers. From an energy perspective, it is one of America's energy centers.

From a historical perspective, you have great old churches Like First Pres downtown, Myers Park Methodist in Myers Park or St Peters on S Tryon. It has a lot of historical mills in Southend, NODA, Plaza Midwood and other ring neighborhoods. It has a great restaurant scene. In each neighborhood, there are many restaurants, each with a different vibe. Heck, Johnson and Wales has thrived here since moving from Charleston.

And, it is one of 32 cities chosen to have the NFL. It was chosen twice to have the NBA, it has been chosen many times to have an annual PGA event and yes, it is the home to all of NASCAR.

Your landmark is a tall bridge, Charlotte's is a great skyline dotted with office, hotel and residential highrises.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:49 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
There is no SC city big enough to support an NFL team, unless like Green Bay, they buy the team. Neither will happen.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:54 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
There is no SC city big enough to support an NFL team, unless like Green Bay, they buy the team. Neither will happen.
We might be able to host a basketball team or some other sport though, as it stands all we really have is the Family circle cup tennis court, Blackbaud stadium, Charleston River dogs and the Stingrays

Old 03-08-2014, 08:43 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Go back and read the posts, this is not your conversation, it's an Internet board. if you want to talk with folks and have others not share opinions, this is the wrong place. I share an opinion and the typical Charleston repsonse is basically what you have said, people want to be in Charleston and are forced to live elsewhere. When folks disagree and show factually that you are wrong, you start crying. This specific thread talks about the NFL And SC. Guess where the closest team is located, Charlotte. As such, if you are surprised that Charlotte is discussed, you are not thinking through it well enough.mand, then you talk garbage about inferiority complex, how original. Are we in elementary school again?

Mt Pleasant is very much like any other suburb. Strip centers dot Hwy 17 and apartments fill in the gaps between track houses. Riding 20 minutes to be downtown Charleston, folks in Simpsonville can ride to downtown Greenville.

20 minutes???? I can JOG from Mount Pleasant to downtown in 20 minutes. A 2 mile bridge separates the 2. That's all. In fact, any other state without SC's annexation laws, and Charleston, North Charleston, Mount Pleasant would be one city.

Mount Pleasant is unique. You just don't know why.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you have about of jealousy towards to folks working downtown Charlotte....why?

Another sensationalist post about Charlotte, you really don't know what you are talking about. Unfortunately, you don't get it and never will.

And, that is funny because you are on here writing that you can ride to downtown Charleston in 20 minutes, wow. Are we supposed to be impressed? People in Roebuck can ride to downtown Spartanburg in 20 minutes, what the difference?
I can ride a bike from my house to downtown in 20 minutes.

If your question is "Whats the difference in downtown Spartanburg and downtown Charleston".......well, that's a whole separate thread.

I have no jealousy of people working in downtown Charlotte. Lots of people work down there, doing thousands of different types of jobs. Many, as you say, work for a tip jar. Some are cops. Some ring up a cash register. And some toil away in a high rise cubicle. THAT life, the cubicle life, just isn't for me.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
20 minutes???? I can JOG from Mount Pleasant to downtown in 20 minutes. A 2 mile bridge separates the 2. That's all. In fact, any other state without SC's annexation laws, and Charleston, North Charleston, Mount Pleasant would be one city.

Sure it is.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I can ride a bike from my house to downtown in 20 minutes.

If your question is "Whats the difference in downtown Spartanburg and downtown Charleston".......well, that's a whole separate thread.

I have no jealousy of people working in downtown Charlotte. Lots of people work down there, doing thousands of different types of jobs. Many, as you say, work for a tip jar. Some are cops. Some ring up a cash register. And some toil away in a high rise cubicle. THAT life, the cubicle life, just isn't for me.
I don't care, this thread should be closed. You are dragging this out when there really is no point.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:55 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Enlighten us. And proximity to the beach doesn't qualify as unique; that's true of any town near the coast.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
A suburb in any city is similar. Hwy 17 throughout Charleston is no different than Lauren's Road, Harbison or many others. What is different about Charlotte that you will not see via internet searches or an occasional visit are the incredible neighborhoods with neighborhood restaurants (true foodies would see this), the true urban feel along the light rail where thousands of apartments are under construction mixing in with old mills. It's taking old mills and making an uptown outdoor amplitheater and concert venue, it's the energy around sporting events downtown, it is Queens Road West, it's the new parks connected with greenways from uptown Down into SC connecting with the Close Greenway in FM, it's being on three lakes with large amounts of shoreline butting up to the mountains, it's being 1 hour from Williams Brice, multiple museums downtown alone with 6 performing arts venues on Tryon Street, it's the depth of the arts that you don't see on an Internet search, And, this is paired with the most diversified job base in the Carolina's and dwarfs anything in CD's town of Charleston. So, you have ample entertainment, sporting events, restaurants, arts, cultural activities and the closest city to USC outside of Columbia all paired with tremendous job opportunities great neighborhoods, great schools and CDnthinks it is vanilla. CD brags because he can be in a small city's downtown driven by tourism, guess it is perspective.
Ok. One piece at a time.

Restaurants? I think Charleston has 2 listed in the national top 100, McCrady's was 10th in the nation, (Charlotte had 0). There is no Shem Creek/Coleman Boulevard restaurant stretch on Laurens Road. Harbison is all national chain joints. VERY different.

Neighborhoods? EVERY mid-size to large city has some great neighborhoods. The Battery, Dunes West, Kiawah, Wild Dunes, not too shabby.

The light rail thing? Myeh, its all dandy. I'll take the Ravenel Bridge joggers path overlooking the city and ocean, with a few hundred gorgeous gals jogging, any day over.....well a train and some old mills.

The parks and all sound nice. Doesn't beat the beaches to me. Especially Kiawah Island Beach, named one of the 10 Best Beaches in America.

Arts? Im sure Charlotte has plenty. Charleston has its own share. You probably wont find much in Charlotte that can compete with the world renowned Spoleto Festival, founded by Gian Menotti, who wanted to counter the Spoleto, Italy festival. Or, if you are into a more regional arts show, the Southeastern Wildlife Expo brings the entire Southeast to Charleston for quite an experience.

Diversified job base? Sure, I'll give you that one. If people wanted cubicle life, they wouldn't come to Charleston, that's for sure. But, plenty of doctors, lawyers, engineers, military folks call Charleston home. We have our share of jobs.....as long as you don't want to be a banker.

Charlotte is an hour from Columbia. Charleston is an hour and about 20 minutes. Hey, Columbia folks, you should be proud....a Charlotte guy is arguing with a Charleston guy about which city is closer to Columbia haha!

World class golf facilities. PGA Championship came because of it.

2 Gold Medal high schools according to US News. Charlotte had 0.

And little ole 5,000 student Charleston Southern University BEAT DOWN big ole UNC-Charlotte on the football field last year.....wasn't even a competitive game really.

See GSP, Charlotte is out of Charlestons weight class if you would put it that way. BUT, somehow, Charleston is putting up this fight that had dragged you into this lengthy debate.

Aside from a couple mediocre pro sports teams, a race car hall of fame, and a couple tall house-of-cubicle buildings.......Charlotte is...well.....lets just say there is a reason Greenville and Charleston are on so many internet lists, and Charlotte is not.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:20 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,958,651 times
I'd have to disagree about the cubicle part since Charleston has quite a few of those, but any city with a decent IT field is going to have a LOT of cubicles.... in terms of history it's hard to beat Ft Moultrie or Ft. Sumter, not to mention the Yorktown.... though in regards to Ft. Sumter i'm still pissed off that the last GI Joe movie had the gall to say that the Ft. in the movie was Ft. Sumter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina