Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 06:50 PM

202 posts, read 293,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
They've already said in response to the media coverage that it will be passed along to customers. It sucks, but, that's true.

But, if they raise rates to pay for this.........I bet CEO, execs and shareholders still get sweet paydays.
do you ever get tired of your "little guy" populism thing? CEO this, CEO that.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:41 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,589,352 times
Quote:
Ummmm...........no, Charleston wouldn't "do anything" to get them. See, many big companies like that over the decades have wanted to build here. Heck, why not? What rich executive wouldn't like to loosen his tie at 5pm, jump on the yacht in the harbor and dine on the water overlooking the peninsula?

BUT........Charleston has never, and probably never will, loosen it's height restrictions, or, defy the Board of Architectural Review......both of which prevent buildings like Bank of America or Dukes from coming here.

Sure, they're all tall and pretty (if you are into that kind of thing). But, Charleston has said not to that for good reason.
You think Charleston would not want a fortune 500 HQ with 15k jobs? You're delusional.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:26 PM

341 posts, read 758,628 times
I used to live in Charleston. I have no desire to live there again. The downtown is nice, but the north end is full of decaying buildings that can't be torn down, regardless of how ugly they are. Coming down from I-26, Charleston looks horrible and depressing. It's a great place to visit, and that's why you see some million dollar second homes. Very few people in Charleston can live there full time in a house like that because there aren't high paying jobs to support them. I really think with the way you talk about Charlotte you haven't spent more than 4 hours in the city and likely somewhere generic like Concord Mills. Charleston is a great place to visit, but there's a reason why Charlotte is so much larger. Contrary to what you say, Charlotte is constantly rated as one of the best places to live. I don't think Charleston is. It's one of the best places to visit. Very few places are good to visit and live. Look at Orlando. Tons of people visit there, but it also has some of the lowest wages. Same with Asheville. This thread really is pointless. It's not even about the NFL and it's called the Carolina Panthers, and too many cities would get NFL before any in SC. No interest in football but your narrow minded views of Charlotte bothered me. Trust me, you don't like Nascar and neither do, but I honestly forget that Nascar is even in Charlotte many times. Remember, Charlotte is the one with luxury stores and car dealerships that are supported by locals, not Charleston. Please don't leave a long response to this because I'm not going to get dragged into this too.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:17 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,294,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct36 View Post
I used to live in Charleston. I have no desire to live there again. The downtown is nice, but the north end is full of decaying buildings that can't be torn down, regardless of how ugly they are. Coming down from I-26, Charleston looks horrible and depressing. It's a great place to visit, and that's why you see some million dollar second homes. Very few people in Charleston can live there full time in a house like that because there aren't high paying jobs to support them. I really think with the way you talk about Charlotte you haven't spent more than 4 hours in the city and likely somewhere generic like Concord Mills. Charleston is a great place to visit, but there's a reason why Charlotte is so much larger. Contrary to what you say, Charlotte is constantly rated as one of the best places to live. I don't think Charleston is. It's one of the best places to visit. Very few places are good to visit and live. Look at Orlando. Tons of people visit there, but it also has some of the lowest wages. Same with Asheville. This thread really is pointless. It's not even about the NFL and it's called the Carolina Panthers, and too many cities would get NFL before any in SC. No interest in football but your narrow minded views of Charlotte bothered me. Trust me, you don't like Nascar and neither do, but I honestly forget that Nascar is even in Charlotte many times. Remember, Charlotte is the one with luxury stores and car dealerships that are supported by locals, not Charleston. Please don't leave a long response to this because I'm not going to get dragged into this too.
Luxury stores and car dealerships are a result of city size. Stuff Bill Gates in bumf*ck North Dakota and they won't put luxury car dealers and stores there. The navy yard looking ugly to you is a result of government shift in funding. There was no over dependence on the government. They just needed a port as a base. It will just take a bit of time to revamp. Enjoy your mediocre city. In the meantime I'll enjoy the envy and jealousy of others living in this fine metro. Don't leave long, short, or even medium responses, I'm not going to get dragged into this as well.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
It is legit, look it up.

Duke is headquartered in Charlotte. The 2nd biggest and newest skyscraper is Dukes.......paid for in part by overcharging their customers and being allowed to dump toxins into the ground without consequence.
Although it is a great building surrounded by The Mint, The Bectler, a small performing arts venue and The Afro American Cultural Center, Duke does not own it.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Luxury stores and car dealerships are a result of city size. Stuff Bill Gates in bumf*ck North Dakota and they won't put luxury car dealers and stores there. The navy yard looking ugly to you is a result of government shift in funding. There was no over dependence on the government. They just needed a port as a base. It will just take a bit of time to revamp. Enjoy your mediocre city. In the meantime I'll enjoy the envy and jealousy of others living in this fine metro. Don't leave long, short, or even medium responses, I'm not going to get dragged into this as well.
Not exactly true, car dealerships on the scale of Bentley, Maserati, Aston Martin etc.....are the product of wealth in large enough numbers to support selling $200k+ cars. Same with stores like Neiman, Tiffany and others that fill Southpark.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:48 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,400,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
You think Charleston would not want a fortune 500 HQ with 15k jobs? You're delusional.
Of course we would. But you said Charleston "would do anything" for it. And allowing a 70 story tower in downtown is something they would NOT allow. Neither would Mount Pleasant. North Charleston might, but doubt it.

See the definition of "do anything" now?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Not exactly true, car dealerships on the scale of Bentley, Maserati, Aston Martin etc.....are the product of wealth in large enough numbers to support selling $200k+ cars. Same with stores like Neiman, Tiffany and others that fill Southpark.
Compensating much?

I still don't see your point: That a metro area of 2 million will have more rich folks than one of 700K??? Umm.....yeah, no ****. I bet Charlotte has more plumbers than Charleston too

Old 03-19-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Compensating much?

I still don't see your point: That a metro area of 2 million will have more rich folks than one of 700K??? Umm.....yeah, no ****. I bet Charlotte has more plumbers than Charleston too
Nope. You are just wrong to suggest Charlotte only has these stores because of size. The city's wealth is deep enough to support these stores. Charlotte's income is also higher per capita and on average, it is more than size. You really don't know much about this city. I agree, it's not Atlanta in a lot of ways, I like Atlanta. But, Charlotte is a great city to live in. You can call it Wal Mart or what ever immature thing you want, but, with what this city has and has accomplished in a short amount of time,it is a terrific place. It is unique in that it provides a great amount of job opportunities, great neighborhoods, great restaurants, healthcare, A list entertainment, shopping, pro sports, short distance to college sports, great outdoor opportunities, lakes, rivers....in other words, it is unique in that it provides all of this and more, not many cities can pull that off. Some cities offer outdoor recreation at the expense of income levels or job diversity/opportunities. Charlotte hits all of the marks and that is why people are selecting this city at levels of 50k annually. It is unique in how the arts are supported from the symphony to the dance theatre to the children's theatre to many many performing arts venues, and artist colonies, not many cities offer this much even with 2.5m residents. And, then there is the airport, certainly unique to have the 9th busiest airport in the US.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Nope. You are just wrong to suggest Charlotte only has these stores because of size. The city's wealth is deep enough to support these stores. Charlotte's income is also higher per capita and on average, it is more than size. You really don't know much about this city. I agree, it's not Atlanta in a lot of ways, I like Atlanta. But, Charlotte is a great city to live in. You can call it Wal Mart or what ever immature thing you want, but, with what this city has and has accomplished in a short amount of time,it is a terrific place. It is unique in that it provides a great amount of job opportunities, great neighborhoods, great restaurants, healthcare, A list entertainment, shopping, pro sports, short distance to college sports, great outdoor opportunities, lakes, rivers....in other words, it is unique in that it provides all of this and more, not many cities can pull that off. Some cities offer outdoor recreation at the expense of income levels or job diversity/opportunities. Charlotte hits all of the marks and that is why people are selecting this city at levels of 50k annually. It is unique in how the arts are supported from the symphony to the dance theatre to the children's theatre to many many performing arts venues, and artist colonies, not many cities offer this much even with 2.5m residents. And, then there is the airport, certainly unique to have the 9th busiest airport in the US.
You're right! It does all that! GREAT!!!!

Now go discuss it in the NC forum.....rather than using the SC forum to remind us of all that, and try to compare it to Charleston all the time.

Charlotte could have 50,000,000 people, and 200 buildings that are 1,000 stories tall, and have 5 NFL teams, and average salary of $10,000,000 per person..............

And I wouldn't care, and wouldn't be in the NC forum talking about a SC city.

Whats your deal? I honestly kinda had fun picking on you, and it wore off a bit......and now you just keep coming back for more.

Although, with so many of those wonderful things you list........seems Charlotte would land on some of the national and global Top 10/20/100 lists that Charleston keeps finding itself on.

Maybe Charlotte should fire its Chamber of Commerce and hire Charlestons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina