U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:22 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,005,114 times

Advertisements

Just watched Bravo's "Southern Charm" episode one. Wow. Where to start.

For one, it highlights Charlestons famous girl-to-guy ratio, where the beautiful women vastly outnumber men. Been that way for decades

They did a good job showing some really beautiful scenes of the city.

But, they focused on a tiny % of the type of people here, by showing lifestyles of people that live "South of Broad" on the peninsula. Old money families who have been here since the 1600's. Made Charleston seem like a bunch of drunk, arrogant rich adults who refuse to grow up. WHICH, about 2% of the population here is, and mostly "South of Broad".

Otherwise, a fairly entertaining show.

Thomas Ravenel brags about doing cocaine and going to prison. One cut showed them gathering for a poker game and saying "If its not for money I'm not playing" and Ravenel confirms it is for money. Hmmm. That's actually a crime sir, and several home poker games for money have been busted. Wonder if CPD will follow up on that one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 09:24 PM

But I will add......while I disagree with him politically on, well, everything- I found Thomas Ravenel to be refreshing.

He's 100% real. He said how he refuses to hide his party life just for politics, saying its him, he wont fake it, and if the people don't vote for him so be it.

Damn that was refreshing. He is who he is, and wont hide it. More politicians should be like that.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:36 AM

269 posts, read 347,228 times
Tthese tv shows are 99% scripted and what's not scripted is provoked by something that was intended to be scripted. But I do agree with CD2013 about Ravenal. At least people know who/what they're voting for. Reminds a rich Charlie Wilson who won't make it to congress but is out in the open with everything.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:32 AM

9,615 posts, read 13,741,523 times
How do these Charleston threads keep getting in the South Carolina forum? I watched the show and Joe Riley can't be thrilled. The young lady from Anderson said there's not much opportunity in real estate in Charleston and that women there are expected to marry and produce children. The model who's originally from Sumter said she might stay in Charleston until she gets bored with it. The men aren't good-looking and they act like old-money losers. They dress like dorks and a couple of them need to look in the mirror and do something different with their hair. One guy might even consider washing his. There isn't even a token gay person unless one of those prissy-looking guys ends up coming out in later episodes. Anyone who would be influenced by that show to move to Charleston would be looking for a place to never grow up and quit partying. And you wouldn't expect the producers to film anything but the most polished areas of the city and surrounding area, of course. Oh, and though gifted with natural good looks he may be, Thomas Ravenel looks a little worse for the wear, as though his party days are on the verge of catching up with him.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:54 AM

3,132 posts, read 3,116,330 times
Train wrecks make for good ratings. Do you really think the the Kardashians are quality programming?

Old 03-04-2014, 08:24 AM

10,338 posts, read 20,590,982 times
Why does this guy keep posting Charleston stuff in the general South Carolina forum? I feel like contacting a moderator.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 AM

10,543 posts, read 11,989,379 times
For all the talk about partying, they were really pretty boring.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Why does this guy keep posting Charleston stuff in the general South Carolina forum? I feel like contacting a moderator.
You really that mad about it bro?

No other reality shows based in SC right now, may as well do this one (unless the 2 Myrtle Beach ones count).

Old 03-04-2014, 07:52 PM

9,615 posts, read 13,741,523 times
Well, yeah, uh, they count. And they're in the Myrtle Beach forum.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:20 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,311,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
But I will add......while I disagree with him politically on, well, everything- I found Thomas Ravenel to be refreshing.

He's 100% real. He said how he refuses to hide his party life just for politics, saying its him, he wont fake it, and if the people don't vote for him so be it.

Damn that was refreshing. He is who he is, and wont hide it. More politicians should be like that.

I agree, half the episode discussed his cocaine problem. If he runs as an independent, I could see him taking a lot of votes from Lindsey Graham. He needs to come out publicly about how he was wrong and how he's changed for the voters upstate to forgive him. One thing I noticed is that he is 20+ years older than most of the people on that show, he kinda looks like a creep hanging out with the crew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina