U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:53 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,891,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
3 years in a row!
Yay.....the readers of a magazine have spoken. Now, based on the number of replies to the poll, what degree of confidence would you assign to he results? Maybe 20%? The real scorecard is in the data where Charleston would be lucky to finish in the top 5. 150 year head start and you guys are being lapped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 10:04 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,387,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Yay.....the readers of a magazine have spoken. Now, based on the number of replies to the poll, what degree of confidence would you assign to he results? Maybe 20%? The real scorecard is in the data where Charleston would be lucky to finish in the top 5. 150 year head start and you guys are being lapped.
Honestly, you have no idea what you're talking about. The magazine poll is just a representation, a sample, if you will, of the true public. No one is calling the poll results set-in-stone-worthy, but it is a good example of what happens when you get the majority vote. There is no doubt in my mind, based on just what I have seen in a measly year, that Charleston would be neck and neck with San Fran for best cities in the country. 1. Charleston, 2. San Fran 3. NYC, 4. Philly. I've been to all and ratings around the internet and beyond seem to put these 4 in the same pot. Feels good to have chosen wisely.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:47 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,310,556 times
Worst Neighborhoods Violent Crime in the U.S. - ABC News

Greenville sc....Chances of being a victim to a crime in a year 1:12... Man who would ever want to live in that place

Hide yo kids, yo wife, because ranked 8th most dangerous place in the USA is a problem.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:11 AM

10,338 posts, read 20,586,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post

Greenville sc....Chances of being a victim to a crime in a year 1:12... Man who would ever want to live in that place

Hide yo kids, yo wife, because ranked 8th most dangerous place in the USA is a problem.
This number is skewed.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:31 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,420,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I like Charleston pretty good, but ouch. Just ouch. I can feel the burn from here!

Old 03-10-2014, 07:09 AM

9,612 posts, read 13,737,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post

That's a list only of neighborhoods. The name of the city is there just to tell where the neighborhood is. A neighborhood in Spartanburg is on it, too. That might just mean that, just as the Greenville-Spartanburg corridor apparently has a concentrated area of higher income that typically attracts national chains before either of metro Columbia's two main areas of higher income, it also perhaps has some areas of more concentrated crime. But like my mother says, why compare? Anyway, I thought this thread was about Charleston and Columbia's metros.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 AM

3,200 posts, read 3,891,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Honestly, you have no idea what you're talking about. The magazine poll is just a representation, a sample, if you will, of the true public. No one is calling the poll results set-in-stone-worthy, but it is a good example of what happens when you get the majority vote. There is no doubt in my mind, based on just what I have seen in a measly year, that Charleston would be neck and neck with San Fran for best cities in the country. 1. Charleston, 2. San Fran 3. NYC, 4. Philly. I've been to all and ratings around the internet and beyond seem to put these 4 in the same pot. Feels good to have chosen wisely.
Actually, I do know what I am talking about, the magazine poll is not a true sample of the public, no legitimate survey would use magazine readers as a sample to represent the true public. If they were randomly selected across the country, maybe. Even then, you would have to allow for tolerances.

If you put a lot of value in magazine polls, please let me sell you some Enron stock. As I have said, I like Charleston, it is a nice place. But, putting it in with SF, that's a whole different story top to bottom.

Glad you like like living in my home state for generations. But, even the biggest Charleston boosters than Iknow would laugh at the notion of being on par with SF.

But what matters the most is if you like the place. So, let's leave it at that.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:31 AM

9,612 posts, read 13,737,189 times
The main hole I see is that saying a city is #1 in a travel magazine's survey of travelers' favorite city to visit and then saying that means it's the best city in the nation or world is a leap.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:19 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,257,083 times
I have to agree with Cdata on this. Charleston was voted best place to travel on a TRAVEL magazine. In no way shape or form did it say best place in the nation to live but giving info and suggestions on things in Charleston which is an opinion. And I'm not saying y'all are saying that it is but that is what I'm getting from reading what y'all say.

Also everybody has their own opinion and cup of tea for places to live in and visit. IMO I will visit Charleston I will not live their. I love history but it has nothing over 700 ft. in it's skyline. I don't even plan on staying SC when I graduate, I'm going straight to NYU.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:26 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,087,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
I have to agree with Cdata on this. Charleston was voted best place to travel on a TRAVEL magazine. In no way shape or form did it say best place in the nation to live but giving info and suggestions on things in Charleston which is an opinion. And I'm not saying y'all are saying that it is but that is what I'm getting from reading what y'all say.

Also everybody has their own opinion and cup of tea for places to live in and visit. IMO I will visit Charleston I will not live their. I love history but it has nothing over 700 ft. in it's skyline. I don't even plan on staying SC when I graduate, I'm going straight to NYU.
Most cities don't have anything over 700ft...

OT: I think 1mil is a conservative number especially with the new port being built
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina