U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 05:05 PM

19,964 posts, read 18,827,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
What's the deal with Lakeview Middle School? I was under the impression that Greenville County schools were all run as one district, and generally good.
I wonder if attendance is a factor. The attendance zone expanded years ago when Parker Middle School and Academy closed, the magnet program discontinued and general assigned students were assigned to Lakeview. Parker closed because it continuously performed low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 06:18 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,377,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esso View Post
The Choices School in Florence was apparently started to allow students expelled from other schools to atttend it. It is closing or is already closed due to lack of student enrollment and funding. Kind of a silly list if this one made it. Formerly expelled students are not goign to be lighting it up in the classroom.

I don't think the issue is really the schools in SC. It is the student body demographic. Lot of kids from really low income black income families are just not motivated to try in school because they aren't planning on going to college. If you move these students to the "good" schools in other states, those schools will then be "bad".

Democrats never explain why they want to keep minority kids in these public schools with low school scores though. I think black parents should have option for vouchers. But blacks won't vote Republican because we are ostensibly the racists. Go figure.

Just keep in mind that Democrats are like le roi on here. A militant allegiance to the public schools, no matter what. Republicans want to give parents a choice.
I beg to differ. I've voted Republican in some cases. I'm also a dark American of African descent. I don't have to vote a certain way because of my skin.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:20 PM

202 posts, read 244,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I beg to differ. I've voted Republican in some cases. I'm also a dark American of African descent. I don't have to vote a certain way because of my skin.
i never meant to imply all black people are democrat voters. But it is pretty close to being en bloc voting. Obviously there are black Republicans, one is our state senator.

This seemed like a good issue to plug the GOP given le roi's rather militant and irrational support of forced atttendance to "bad" schools and attempting to demonizg GOP for a reasonable position focused on giving parents a choice.

I always here GOP doesn't reach out to miniorities but we been singing the vouchers thing for years now.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:56 AM

26 posts, read 49,084 times
Has anyone noticed that this article is dated 2009? Also, Brentwood Middle in North Charleston closed in 2009. I'm sure that this data is out-of-date and needs to be revised.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajones3 View Post
Has anyone noticed that this article is dated 2009? Also, Brentwood Middle in North Charleston closed in 2009. I'm sure that this data is out-of-date and needs to be revised.
It is. We've discussed that. I should've checked before I put it up. Was sent to me from someone else.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:36 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,937,579 times
Quote:

stretching for "evidence" eh? 5 of those 11 are charter, 1 of them is a freshman campus that is part of a district "spartanburg 6" that is considered one of the best in the state so that's laughable. nice try though. keep trying.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I posted it because I wanted to. It was shared with me and I knew others would be interested. You don't have to read it. I didn't scan it for how old it is. I'm busy. I bet it hasn't changed much in 5 years. Our schools are still in the top for being the worst.

but not busy enough to find the time to post it eh? ;-)

Old 03-15-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
It probably hasn't improved much. If anyone wants to post a "current article" feel free. You just might like this report better though. People are so touchy behind their computers and smartphones these days. Lol. I apologize.

nah we just enjoy up to date "current events" is all :-)

Old 03-15-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Go to settings and block my handle. You'll never have to see my 5 year old link again. Didn't know it was that old. You could've been a little smoother. How about "I don't know if you realize it, but this is 5 years old". Instead you chose to be nasty about it. Sorry it didn't meet your standards. I won't be nasty to the person that shared it with me. I'll politely let them know it's old. How about go jump on the poster constantly putting city specific post in the state forum. Lol

of course you would not be nasty because this type of "current event" fits nicely into your ideology. if it was 5 year old data on how great things were you'd a jump all over it. no?

Old 03-15-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
of course you would not be nasty because this type of "current event" fits nicely into your ideology. if it was 5 year old data on how great things were you'd a jump all over it. no?
This is over. No intended agenda, I didn't check the data date after it was sent to me. My mistake. I accept it. I want good for my state, so I'm glad it's 5 years old. Would much rather see the state in a positive light. No need for continued ridicule. I usually get reamed for being overly positive. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or