Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 06:59 AM

5,488 posts, read 8,319,551 times

Advertisements

South Carolina is Home to 11 of Nation’s 25 Worst Public Schools | The Voice for School Choice

I love South Carolina, but this is sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 07:13 AM

730 posts, read 1,401,653 times
The ones that are charter schools are what's sad. These places end up being worse than the school the child is zoned for. I am not shocked at them. I'm also not shocked at a couple of those middle schools given the socio-economic statuses of the neighborhoods that go there. A lot of those kids dont have the family structure or positive influences outside of school that help them succeed in school. Dorman's freshmen was a surprise.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:18 AM

12,891 posts, read 18,748,565 times
I don't know about the others, but the ones in Columbia have declining enrollment and are very easy to avoid if you're not "trapped" socioeconomically, and even if you are, those schools have been slowly improving according to the state's report card.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
this is 5 years old, and all the links that would take us to the "study's" source are broken -- which means we have no idea whether the article is credible.

what made you think this was a good idea to post? the blog obviously has an agenda, which it refers to as "school choice."

we've known for a long time that SC has a combination of poor-performing students, and high educational standards, which means on paper SC sometimes looks worse than Mississippi or Louisiana -- which isn't the reality.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:29 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,132,164 times
Woo - Hoooooo!

Sumter missed the list!

Anyway.....................my kids go to private schools.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:07 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,309 times
What's the deal with Lakeview Middle School? I was under the impression that Greenville County schools were all run as one district, and generally good.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
this is 5 years old, and all the links that would take us to the "study's" source are broken -- which means we have no idea whether the article is credible.

what made you think this was a good idea to post? the blog obviously has an agenda, which it refers to as "school choice."

we've known for a long time that SC has a combination of poor-performing students, and high educational standards, which means on paper SC sometimes looks worse than Mississippi or Louisiana -- which isn't the reality.
I posted it because I wanted to. It was shared with me and I knew others would be interested. You don't have to read it. I didn't scan it for how old it is. I'm busy. I bet it hasn't changed much in 5 years. Our schools are still in the top for being the worst.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:33 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,522,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I posted it because I wanted to. It was shared with me and I knew others would be interested. You don't have to read it. I didn't scan it for how old it is. I'm busy. I bet it hasn't changed much in 5 years. Our schools are still in the top for being the worst.
While what you say is true, it is not a current article. I'm guessing a current update would show more than the 11 schools on that list. Truth is the internet is now 20 years old so we have to be careful what we are looking at when we are online. I hate articles that do not have a date stamp.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
While what you say is true, it is not a current article. I'm guessing a current update would show more than the 11 schools on that list. Truth is the internet is now 20 years old so we have to be careful what we are looking at when we are online. I hate articles that do not have a date stamp.
It probably hasn't improved much. If anyone wants to post a "current article" feel free. You just might like this report better though. People are so touchy behind their computers and smartphones these days. Lol. I apologize.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:49 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times
For some more current stats, South Carolina is about the middle of the pack (26th) when it comes to our schools now. I remember when we were something like 48th in the nation. So, some improvement.

Education Week: States Show Spotty Progress on Education Gauges
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina