U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 05:27 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,003,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esso View Post
I always think UNC-CH saids for the one in Charlotte. UNC by itself would be assumed to be Chapel HIll so don't see why they would use UNC-CH for it.

I think Charlotte is its own unique school now in reality. I think it would be better served to break away from UNC so it loses the branch school stigma
That's what Coastal Carolina did when it broke away from USC.

UNCC is probably a lot like UCLA's relationship with the U of California. UCLA is its own brand, the University of California - Los Angeles label is just a technicality.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:29 PM

202 posts, read 243,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
That's what Coastal Carolina did when it broke away from USC.

UNCC is probably a lot like UCLA's relationship with the U of California. UCLA is its own brand, the University of California - Los Angeles label is just a technicality.
UNCC is a good engineering school but it is flies under a liberal artsy school banner UNC. It is actually as big as Clemson in terms of number of students.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:32 PM

7,270 posts, read 13,488,486 times
Quote:
I always think UNC-CH saids for the one in Charlotte. UNC by itself would be assumed to be Chapel HIll so don't see why they would use UNC-CH for it.

I think Charlotte is its own unique school now in reality. I think it would be better served to break away from UNC so it loses the branch school stigma
They have tried to brand themselves as just "Charlotte" for years with modest success. But the "breaking away" thing is limited to branding and perception. Even NC State is a member of the UNC system.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:34 PM

166 posts, read 186,409 times
I like oranges but I also like oranges. Oranges are much juicier than apples and much sweeter. Apples are lame red and oranges are pretty in color.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:38 PM

7,270 posts, read 13,488,486 times
Quote:
UNCC is a good engineering school but it is flies under a liberal artsy school banner UNC. It is actually as big as Clemson in terms of number of students.
It's bigger. Charlotte has more undergrads than Clemson has students, plus another 4 or 5k undergrads. In fact, if Clemson was an NC university it would be the fifth-largest in the state.

Yeah, some schools cant do the independent branding thing, some can.

The University of Buffalo has done it very well. I didn't know until last FB season that they are a branch of New York State University system, and only because they put it on their uniforms.

It would take some time, but I think UNC Charlotte could get by with just "U of Charlotte". Especially now that they have football, which is a very publicly noticed sport, so the "Charlotte" name could end up being seen a lot more through their FB team.

1,403 posts, read 2,055,433 times
Quote:
Of course I am. Its a friendly jab at GSP.
LOL I was hoping you were. No one likes a show off

Old 03-19-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
It's bigger. Charlotte has more undergrads than Clemson has students, plus another 4 or 5k undergrads. In fact, if Clemson was an NC university it would be the fifth-largest in the state.
Yep. Its funny how some schools are really big that people wouldn't think.

The University of South Florida has something like 40,000 students. Never would've thought that.

And, the 3rd largest school in SC? Trident Tech!

Old 03-19-2014, 06:44 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,890,713 times
Quote:
Of course they don't, they say UNC-Charlotte. They didn't go to UNC.

But, they DO "have a degree from the University of North Carolina", which is what I have regarding the U of SC. I graduated from Coastal, "went there", and have a second "from" USC....via a branch school.

How about this:

In reality, I'm a rich Coca-Cola executive who also sits on the board at CNN, both in Atlanta, and, graduated from Harvard Business school, AND I currently live in a big Buckhead house in Atlanta and am from a city so much bigger, better and brighter than Charlotte
LOL......not based on your comments here. You have a strange obsession with trying to one up Charlotte.

The degrees from UNCC do say Univ of NC and specify Charlotte just like in SC.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:46 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,086,426 times
Quote:
Yep. Its funny how some schools are really big that people wouldn't think.

The University of South Florida has something like 40,000 students. Never would've thought that.

And, the 3rd largest school in SC? Trident Tech!
Trident Tech is probably the fastest growing college in the state as well simply because of how much construction and what not is going on there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or