U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 03:46 PM

106 posts, read 113,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
"Redneck Flag" just like "Nazi Flag" reps Nazis.

The Confederate hobbyists say that groups like the KKK took over that flag, and that they misrep it. So, that flag must rep things other than just the Confederacy or "heritage". Rednecks fly it to show racism and hatred. So, when THEY fly it, its the "Redneck Flag".

You're right. All that ugly Civil War stuff happened under the same American flag that WW2 and Vietnam happened under.

Which makes me wonder why some need a different flag to celebrate "heritage" that happened under the US flag????
I think you are one of these guys who is always trying to prove you aren't a redneck, maybe because you are insecure about being from the south. Being opposed to confederate flag doesn't mean you aren't a redneck though.

I'm not arguing for the flag on state grounds or not. It seems like a non-issue to most SC residents. It is curious how emotional some are about it.

I think the NCAA's decision to punish the women basketball team was silly. They had nothing to do with the flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 03:51 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,013,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetrav View Post
I think you are one of these guys who is always trying to prove you aren't a redneck, maybe because you are insecure about being from the south. Being opposed to confederate flag doesn't mean you aren't a redneck though.

I'm not arguing for the flag on state grounds or not. It seems like a non-issue to most SC residents. It is curious how emotional some are about it.

I think the NCAA's decision to punish the women basketball team was silly. They had nothing to do with the flag.
Haha. Nope. I love the South, and being from here. I love football, and the South is king of football.

And "rednecks" live in all 50 states, not just the South. Go to mid-Pennsylvania.

You're right about the last sentence. And its silly that SC politicians still allow this punishment to happen......by flying an irrelevant flag.

Raise a British flag over the state grounds too. Afterall, in 1776, there were British loyalists who didn't want to break away from England.

They LOST their war, and we don't fly a British flag in Columbia, do we?

Old 03-29-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Haha. Nope. I love the South, and being from here. I love football, and the South is king of football.

And "rednecks" live in all 50 states, not just the South. Go to mid-Pennsylvania.

You're right about the last sentence. And its silly that SC politicians still allow this punishment to happen......by flying an irrelevant flag.

Raise a British flag over the state grounds too. Afterall, in 1776, there were British loyalists who didn't want to break away from England.

They LOST their war, and we don't fly a British flag in Columbia, do we?
nah, you are misplacing the blame. NCAA made the decision. Not the flag. or people supporting the flag. If you truly care about the women's basketb all team, and obiviously you don't, you would be talking about NCAA, not the flag. They are holding women's basketball hostage over this trivial issue that doesn't impact anybody's lives.

It is a Confederate monument.

The rebels were only about 1/3rd of the population at the time. By your logic the American flag isn't legit

Last edited by Timetrav; 03-29-2014 at 04:04 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 06:14 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,407,143 times
I think the NAACP should stop going after a flag and go after a group instead: the KKK.
I think Southerners should display the Gadsden flag or the flag of their own state. The South forming the Confederacy was an oxymoron. They argued for states rights but formed their own "United States". Southern pride is state pride.

I would say one should just make a new flag to stand for the South, but Jesse Jackson or the NAACP will find some way of hating that too.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:36 PM

29,947 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I would say one should just make a new flag to stand for the South, but Jesse Jackson or the NAACP will find some way of hating that too.
Making a new flag to stand for the South serves absolutely no purpose. The South is part and parcel of the United States, and our national flag is sufficient.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:19 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,407,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Making a new flag to stand for the South serves absolutely no purpose. The South is part and parcel of the United States, and our national flag is sufficient.
You don't think people can have pride for a cultural region?

Old 03-30-2014, 06:14 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,236,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
Just because they weren't charged with treason doesn't mean they didn't commit treason. Not being charged doesn't mean the crime didn't occur. Throughout history you will find plenty of people and institutions that weren't charged with a crime/offense they committed. Using your logic there wasn't a single high level banker or financial institution that committed fraud and misconduct in the financial crisis of 2008 because they weren't charged.
exactly. bankers didn't commit fraud, either. if you want to blame someone, blame the people who make the laws determining what constitutes fraud (or treason).

Old 03-30-2014, 07:48 AM

the bankers were largely doing what they were ordered to do by Democrats, that is , give loans to poor people who couldn't pay them back. Democrats don't ever t alk about that, but the collapse in 2008 was largely because of the bad loans mandated by government to high risk poor people

Old 03-30-2014, 09:08 AM

3,152 posts, read 3,138,986 times
The flag means different things to different people. The Civil War was a big part of South Carolina's history. As such, having the flag fly over a monument honoring those that fell during that period isn't out of line. Enough with the political correct BS. If you don't like it fine... don't like it. There's lots of stuff people don't like. Get over it.

The NCAA should be more concerned about college sports and how to create a fair field of play than what the NAACP wants about how a state honors its fallen soldiers on a monument.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:29 AM

813 posts, read 1,303,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isnull View Post
the flag means different things to different people. The civil war was a big part of south carolina's history. As such, having the flag fly over a monument honoring those that fell during that period isn't out of line. Enough with the political correct bs. If you don't like it fine... Don't like it. There's lots of stuff people don't like. Get over it.

The ncaa should be more concerned about college sports and how to create a fair field of play than what the naacp wants about how a state honors its fallen soldiers on a monument.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or