U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:24 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,074,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post

Side note: I'm sure the irony is lost on you complaining about people being all me, me, me as you mostly talk about what YOU think and what YOU do and don't care about and how YOU feel on a subject.
That's because I don't think for others. Neither should you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 AM

419 posts, read 401,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
That's because I don't think for others. Neither should you.

Whoosh!

Btw, not agreeing with something doesn't mean you're thinking for others.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Status: "serving a suspended sentence for not being a right winger" (set 26 days ago)

7,329 posts, read 4,455,462 times
Too often the flag issue becomes clouded in all the rhetoric I have read in the first three pages of this thread before finally giving up. That's what I find wrong with this debate. It's really about how idiotic it makes us look having the flag flying in such a prominent spot on the State House grounds. It's the first thing newcomers to the city see coming down Main or along Gervais. The state has been told they would be able to have more conventions, concerts and sporting events if we moved the flag. But apparently we have too much damn money in this state that we don't need anymore. So the #1 seeded Lady Gamecocks have to fly across the country to play their first games in the tourney instead of playing somewhere in their home state.

I have a great idea. Let's all cut off our noses to spite our face!

Old 04-07-2014, 02:24 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,011,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Too often the flag issue becomes clouded in all the rhetoric I have read in the first three pages of this thread before finally giving up. That's what I find wrong with this debate. It's really about how idiotic it makes us look having the flag flying in such a prominent spot on the State House grounds. It's the first thing newcomers to the city see coming down Main or along Gervais. The state has been told they would be able to have more conventions, concerts and sporting events if we moved the flag. But apparently we have too much damn money in this state that we don't need anymore. So the #1 seeded Lady Gamecocks have to fly across the country to play their first games in the tourney instead of playing somewhere in their home state.

I have a great idea. Let's all cut off our noses to spite our face!
GREAT post. You couldn't have said it better. There is so much rhetoric in this, the bottom line is....it makes us look silly and stupid. To STILL be fighting over the damn rebel flag in 2014.

I think its more of a spite thing. The flag supporters just refuse to give in out of spite. In my opinion, that flag doesn't mean that much to them. But, they'd rather put up the fight just out of spite for those who want it taken down. And those who want it taken down? I bet 50% of their motives are spite for those who like it.

Like a bunch of damn ignorant children fighting over something so stupid and pointless, all at the expense of our state's reputation.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:06 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,074,434 times
What's wrong with moving it to a less prominate site on the grounds? I admit the current location is unfortunate. It's front and center. Why can't sensible minds agree to move it to a spot around the corner?

Like I've said all along, I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm a transplant. But I can see where a compromise would benefit everyone. Like it or not, it is a HUGE part of a lot of people's lives in this state. It's a HUGE part of the history of this state. Therefore it deserves to be on the grounds. But it doesn't derserve top billing when it comes to location.

I wonder if there is a politician in this state that would introduce a bill to raise funds to have it moved?

Old 04-07-2014, 06:03 PM

419 posts, read 401,919 times
The history argument is tired. Out of all the former confederate states only South Carolina and Mississippi continue with the state ground nonsense.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:35 AM

1,550 posts, read 1,433,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
By the nature of this debate, shouldn't some Revolutionary War memorials also fly the British flag, in honor of the loyalists of the colony that didn't want to break off from England???

No. Cant do that, because they were on the losing side. Go figure.
This has little to do with what you were suggesting, but I stumbled upon something that was interesting that I had to share. Apparently, in 1918, there was a "British Day" in Columbia, SC. There's a panorama photograph of the event on the statehouse steps. Although this probably had nothing to do with the loyalists to Britain, I thought this was interesting enough.

Amazon.com - 1918 December 7 British Day Celebration at Columbia, S.C. 42 " Panorama photo -

I have no idea why they had "British Day". My guess is it had something to do with World War I. The influenza also broke out in SC around this time also. There's very little on the internet as to why Columbia held this event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or