U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2014, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,644 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Reputation: 2104

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
The flag is flying at the Confederate Memorial. Where else would you have it? If you want to blame anybody, blame the NAACP. They are the ones who magnified this into an issue of epic proportions.

Did it belong on the statehouse dome? No!
Does it belong at the Memorial for the Confederate Dead? Yes.
The Confederate monument should be moved, too, because it blocks the view of the State House as you drive down Main Street. The capitol should symbolically beckon all to walk up its steps and into the taxpayer-funded house.

In a new spot the Confederate soldier would no longer have to have his back turned to the flag. The flag's current placement is symbolically and aesthetically retarded.

I am a native South Carolinian and I can go right now and touch the Confederate markers on the graves of two of my great grandfathers and one great-great grandfather in southern Orangeburg County and northern Dorchester County. The great-great was wounded in the battle of Chickamauga (sp).

I think the flag that represents their valor for whatever cause belongs in a peaceful resting place. It's time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Sumter, SC
1,835 posts, read 2,079,055 times
Reputation: 1302
I'm OK with moving the monument and the flag off the steps and to another location on the State House grounds. Do you think the NAACP would agree to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2014, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,644 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Reputation: 2104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I'm OK with moving the monument and the flag off the steps and to another location on the State House grounds. Do you think the NAACP would agree to this?
I have wondered. There's a square between the Daughters of the Confederacy monument and the Strom Thurmond statue that I think would be a good spot. Symbolically the soldier would be out front protecting the "daughters" with the flag at his side, not behind him, and Strom Thurmond would still be walking southward back home from Washington, DC, as his statue currently represents (to me anyway). The legislators who love the flag could get offices that overlooked it, and the public wouldn't see it flapping in the wind near such a prominent intersection. A plaque could be placed at the base of the flag explaining its story, and there could be a document signed and placed in the capitol that finalizes it placement for - say the next 50 years - to be revisited at that time. The visiting public would have to be taking a tour of the State House grounds to see it instead of laughing at the state as they drive through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2014, 08:51 AM
 
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
6,272 posts, read 18,925,451 times
Reputation: 3498
Another missed opportunity for SC! How many more positives will this state miss out on? Thousands, if things don't change!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2014, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,644 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Reputation: 2104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The Confederate monument should be moved, too, because it blocks the view of the State House as you drive down Main Street. The capitol should symbolically beckon all to walk up its steps and into the taxpayer-funded house.

In a new spot the Confederate soldier would no longer have to have his back turned to the flag. The flag's current placement is symbolically and aesthetically retarded.

I am a native South Carolinian and I can go right now and touch the Confederate markers on the graves of two of my great grandfathers and one great-great grandfather in southern Orangeburg County and northern Dorchester County. The great-great was wounded in the battle of Chickamauga (sp).

I think the flag that represents their valor for whatever cause belongs in a peaceful resting place. It's time.
EDIT: That should be two great-great grandfathers and one great-great-great grandfather. I'm not that old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2014, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Sumter, SC
1,835 posts, read 2,079,055 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I have wondered. There's a square between the Daughters of the Confederacy monument and the Strom Thurmond statue that I think would be a good spot. Symbolically the soldier would be out front protecting the "daughters" with the flag at his side, not behind him, and Strom Thurmond would still be walking southward back home from Washington, DC, as his statue currently represents (to me anyway). The legislators who love the flag could get offices that overlooked it, and the public wouldn't see it flapping in the wind near such a prominent intersection. A plaque could be placed at the base of the flag explaining its story, and there could be a document signed and placed in the capitol that finalizes it placement for - say the next 50 years - to be revisited at that time. The visiting public would have to be taking a tour of the State House grounds to see it instead of laughing at the state as they drive through.
But my question still goes unanswered. Will the NAACP go along with that? You want the answer? NO! And therein lies the problem with this whole situation. The NAACP wants the Confederate Flag erased from history. They want it GONE forever! There is no negioatiating with them.

Sorry, but the flag is not the problem here. The flag is a part of our history. The problem is that if it doesn't fit the agenda of the NAACP, they will cry like a baby that just had it's sucker stolen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2014, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Sumter, SC
1,835 posts, read 2,079,055 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Another missed opportunity for SC! How many more positives will this state miss out on? Thousands, if things don't change!
What is the missed opportunity? To cower to an organization that will not negiaotiate (sp?)? The flag currently flys at the Confederate Memorial. Sounds like an appropriate place to fly it. I agree it didn't belong on the dome. So it was removed and place at the proper memorial.

What's the issue? Time to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 AM
 
Location: the sticks
814 posts, read 1,303,623 times
Reputation: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
But my question still goes unanswered. Will the NAACP go along with that? You want the answer? NO! And therein lies the problem with this whole situation. The NAACP wants the Confederate Flag erased from history. They want it GONE forever! There is no negioatiating with them.

Sorry, but the flag is not the problem here. The flag is a part of our history. The problem is that if it doesn't fit the agenda of the NAACP, they will cry like a baby that just had it's sucker stolen.
++

Heritage not hate. Believe it or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2014, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Sumter, SC
1,835 posts, read 2,079,055 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
++

Heritage not hate. Believe it or not
I don't even agree with that statement because it isn't true for everyone. It's a matter of history. Like it or not, it's part of the history of this state. To fly it for everyone on the dome was wrong. But to fly it in front of it's own monument is right. Should the monument be moved so it isn't so prominent? Possibly. But the problem is with the NAACP. They don't want it ANYWHERE and that just isn't fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2014, 09:36 AM
 
Location: the sticks
814 posts, read 1,303,623 times
Reputation: 582
We obviously are not talking about everyone on this subject anyway; it is part of history; and it is obviously part of heritage to some of our people, only less now than yesterday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top