U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 05:49 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,071,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Moving the monument was never discussed, and putting the flag in a museum isn't getting rid of it completely.
It was never offered because the NAACP wouldn't listen to ANY alternatives. I think it is a perfectly resonable compromise to move the monument and flag to a less prominate place on the State House grounds. That way it isn't flying in everybody's face at the end of Main St.

But the NAACP will never agree to it. So we are stuck with the bi-partisan arrangement drafted by then Gov. Jim Hodges to move it off the dome to it's current place at the Confederate Memorial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 05:50 PM

9,632 posts, read 13,784,128 times
"The Confederacy was about the rights of states to govern without intrusion from the federal government."

That's so easy to say. Bull is easy to say, too. The threat of having to free black people was a big enough "state's rights" issue to push SC to secede. No other "intrusion" of the US government in the state's history, neither before the slavery issue nor after it, prompted the state to feel it was necessary to secede to get its way.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:51 PM

You can thank the NAACP for where it's placed today.

For those of you offended by where it is placed today, quit bitchin' about it and go do something about it. Form a grass roots organization and lobby for it's relocation or removal. I believe in democracy. But you'll have to deal with the NAACP and they don't.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:10 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,266,837 times
Frankly, I really wouldn't care where it is if it wasn't hurting the states wealth and my quality of life. I'm a tri-racial person black, white, and native american. I don't take offense to it since it's a memorial. But the state should really look and see what is happening because of something so dumb. I do have to say right smack dab in the direct front of state house is where some companies and sports groups might draw the line for decisions, it's just in plane view and a prominent place.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:18 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,266,837 times
Yes but the growth has been industrial and not office which is what us young people would like to work in. Yes, the state is growing like every other state. But if I'm looking at numbers by percentage it looks fast, if I look at it by the actual numbers it looks a little slower than the percentages look.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:57 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,009,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
"The Confederacy was about the rights of states to govern without intrusion from the federal government."

That's so easy to say. Bull is easy to say, too. The threat of having to free black people was a big enough "state's rights" issue to push SC to secede. No other "intrusion" of the US government in the state's history, neither before the slavery issue nor after it, prompted the state to feel it was necessary to secede to get its way.
Yep. Completely agree. The South's economy was based on slavery. Free the slaves, and the South would be devastated. That was they went to war over it.

Its just pathetic that in 2014, this is still an issue or debate. Our state deserves better, and that flag is embarrassing, and a slap in the face to modern times to see it flying.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Yep. Completely agree. The South's economy was based on slavery. Free the slaves, and the South would be devastated. That was they went to war over it.

Its just pathetic that in 2014, this is still an issue or debate. Our state deserves better, and that flag is embarrassing, and a slap in the face to modern times to see it flying.
Then work with the NAACP to get it moved. Good luck with that!

Old 03-19-2014, 09:12 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,009,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Then work with the NAACP to get it moved. Good luck with that!
Maybe I will. Unfortunately, too many bizarre, crazy people get elected in SC, and they wont do it.

And its quite sad, that in 2014, we'd still need to LOBBY to get a flag that is a symbol of the war for slavery....to no longer be flown in all it's glory on public grounds.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:29 PM

29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Yes. It does belong there. But I'm sure there is already one there. The Confederate Memorial deserves one too.
It doesn't matter if a Confederate flag is already at the museum; this particular one deserves to be there because of the special history behind it. And I don't see why the Memorial itself deserves a flag.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:38 PM

29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
You can thank the NAACP for where it's placed today.

For those of you offended by where it is placed today, quit bitchin' about it and go do something about it. Form a grass roots organization and lobby for it's relocation or removal. I believe in democracy. But you'll have to deal with the NAACP and they don't.
Your incessant mentioning of the NAACP is nothing more than a red herring because your actual argument as to why it should remain on state government grounds holds absolutely no water. Plenty of people in SC with no love for the NAACP feel the same way as they do on the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or