Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 08:39 PM

422 posts, read 486,847 times

Advertisements

You can debate racism, history, heritage and this and that. But the one thing you can't dispute is that the Confederate flag was flown by traitors to the United States of America. They broke from the United States and created their own nation, issued their own currency, elected their own president and Congress, raised an army and went to war with the United States of America. On top of that the flag we see flying on our state grounds is not the official flag of the Confederate but rather the battle flag of Confederate troops. Why should a flag flown by a nation that viewed the United States as its enemy be flown on government grounds of the United States? Want it to fly on your private property, have stickers of it on your automobile, go see it at a museum then more power to you, but there is no excuse for it to be flying on our capitol grounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 09:32 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
BTW didn't they win tonight? The fans (and state) lose, because they were denied home court.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:59 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
You can debate racism, history, heritage and this and that. But the one thing you can't dispute is that the Confederate flag was flown by traitors to the United States of America. They broke from the United States and created their own nation, issued their own currency, elected their own president and Congress, raised an army and went to war with the United States of America. On top of that the flag we see flying on our state grounds is not the official flag of the Confederate but rather the battle flag of Confederate troops. Why should a flag flown by a nation that viewed the United States as its enemy be flown on government grounds of the United States? Want it to fly on your private property, have stickers of it on your automobile, go see it at a museum then more power to you, but there is no excuse for it to be flying on our capitol grounds.
If our nation was sh*t then there is every reason to fly a different flag. Don't run our country like sh*t and it won't be an issue.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
The flag is flying at the Confederate Memorial. Where else would you have it? If you want to blame anybody, blame the NAACP. They are the ones who magnified this into an issue of epic proportions.
Or blame the NCAA for kowtowing to the NAACP.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
You can debate racism, history, heritage and this and that. But the one thing you can't dispute is that the Confederate flag was flown by traitors to the United States of America.
Actually that's pretty easy to debate.

( Not that I'm going to waste my time doing it. )

Old 03-24-2014, 11:07 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I'm OK with moving the monument and the flag off the steps and to another location on the State House grounds. Do you think the NAACP would agree to this?
Of course the NAACP would not agree.

The boycott brought attention to a problem that needed resolving. It is time for the boycott to end. It has served its purpose.

It is completely indefensible that any group continues to put pressure upon the NCAA to not recognize South Carolina as having a legitimate right to be considered for events and be due all the opportunities of any other state in this country.

It makes one wonder,who is the NAACP protecting now?

Old 03-24-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
The boycott brought attention to a problem that needed resolving.
well the legislature capitulated and moved it off the statehouse dome.

the NAACP 'moved the goalposts' and said that wasn't good enough.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:06 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
well the legislature capitulated and moved it off the statehouse dome.

the NAACP 'moved the goalposts' and said that wasn't good enough.
le roi, I didn't have a problem with the flag flying over the statehouse dome. I never paid it any attention and certainly had no evil thoughts when I was in Columbia. Nor did I break out in song with "I wish I was in the land of cotton."

They resolved the problem and took it down, the end. So who is the NAACP protecting now, who are they working for to continue a protest that has been going on since 1999? It has not stopped the Black Bikers from gathering on Memorial Day weekend to Atlantic Beach. It has not stopped black families from vacationing to the Grand Strand and Charleston. I shop, hubby shops, we all shop and see black families shopping and spending their money right along with us in SC.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
If our nation was sh*t then there is every reason to fly a different flag. Don't run our country like sh*t and it won't be an issue.

Um, what?

Old 03-24-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Actually that's pretty easy to debate.

( Not that I'm going to waste my time doing it. )

Maybe easy for those who have no regards for facts, logic, and cogent arguments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina