Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 05:16 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
What is the missed opportunity? To cower to an organization that will not negiaotiate (sp?)? The flag currently flys at the Confederate Memorial. Sounds like an appropriate place to fly it. I agree it didn't belong on the dome. So it was removed and place at the proper memorial.

What's the issue? Time to move on.
There are WW2 memorials all over Europe. The Nazi flag should never fly at those. Shown in a museum static display, yes. Fly? NO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 05:27 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
There are WW2 memorials all over Europe. The Nazi flag should never fly at those. Shown in a museum static display, yes. Fly? NO.
Apples and oranges. The third reich was an attempt to wipe an entire race of the face of the earth by means of brutality, torture and murder. The Confederacy was about the rights of states to govern without intrusion from the federal government.

Political vs genocide. Huge difference.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Apples and oranges. The third reich was an attempt to wipe an entire race of the face of the earth by means of brutality, torture and murder. The Confederacy was about the rights of states to govern without intrusion from the federal government.

Political vs genocide. Huge difference.
Eh, is it any different than enslaving a race for generations? Which also included brutality, torture, murder at times? The right of the states to own slaves is the right they fought for.

If I had the choice of being an slave for 50 years in the South in the 1800's.......or just being killed quickly by the Nazis.........I'd rather die than be enslaved.

I understand some people don't see the two as the same thing. I respect that you don't. But, I do see it the same, and I'm a white SC native. Just to me, what the Nazis did is no worse than what the slave trade did.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:37 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
The flag is flying at the Confederate Memorial. Where else would you have it? If you want to blame anybody, blame the NAACP. They are the ones who magnified this into an issue of epic proportions.

Did it belong on the statehouse dome? No!
Does it belong at the Memorial for the Confederate Dead? Yes.
While passing the statehouse grounds, i see it flying. Is that where the confederate memorial is located? If so, it (the memorial) should be removed.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
While passing the statehouse grounds, i see it flying. Is that where the confederate memorial is located? If so, it (the memorial) should be removed.
Yes. That is the Memorial for the Confederate Dead.

Removed or moved?

Old 03-19-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Eh, is it any different than enslaving a race for generations? Which also included brutality, torture, murder at times? The right of the states to own slaves is the right they fought for.

If I had the choice of being an slave for 50 years in the South in the 1800's.......or just being killed quickly by the Nazis.........I'd rather die than be enslaved.

I understand some people don't see the two as the same thing. I respect that you don't. But, I do see it the same, and I'm a white SC native. Just to me, what the Nazis did is no worse than what the slave trade did.
It is nowhere near the same and I am a white trasnplant that has no confederate heritage.

Keep in mind that slavery (while unjust and morally wrong today) was perfectly legal then and is a major reason this country became the power it was.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:43 PM

SC is trying to attract national brands and new residents.

The last thing we need is to display something that (like it or not) is interpreted by a lot of people as us hanging on to the slavery fight.

Perception is reality. And most people outside of a small minority of Glenn McConnell types see that flag as glorifying the fight to keep slaves. Fact or fiction, that IS the perception of most Americans of that flag.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:44 PM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Quote:
The only alternative offered was "Get rid of it completely." When you can't realistically negotiate, you get what you get. If the NCAA would have accepted an offer to move the monument to another site on the grounds and place the flag there, I'm betting it would have happened by now.
Moving the monument was never discussed, and putting the flag in a museum isn't getting rid of it completely.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
It is nowhere near the same and I am a white trasnplant that has no confederate heritage.

Keep in mind that slavery (while unjust and morally wrong today) was perfectly legal then and is a major reason this country became the power it was.
Well, to me, it was morally wrong then. Just not illegal. It is morally wrong to beat or rape your wife, but in much of the Islamic world it is "legal" to do both.

Its such a touchy subject. Its why I think our state should just put it all in a museum, and move on from it. Absolutely no reason to blatantly remind people of that horrible time in history, publicly, for all to see in the middle of our capital city.

And, under the Nazi government, a lot of bad stuff they did was "legal"........and that's why someone went to war with them to stop it.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:48 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Yes. That is the Memorial for the Confederate Dead.

Removed or moved?
Removed from state owned grounds. After that, i don't care what happens to it as long as i don't pay any part of a bill to fly it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina