U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2014, 09:28 PM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,011,728 times
Reputation: 869

Advertisements

Flag controversy blocks South Carolina home court advantage - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

The USC womens hoops squad finished the season with a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament, one of 4 teams seeded #1. And they're the ONLY one of those 4 teams that wont open the tournament up in their home state.

Instead, they'll fly across the country to face their opponent......in Seattle.

This is a shame. And it is FAR FAR FAR past time that this idiotic relic of history be taken down, folded up, and thrown into a museum where it belongs.

Good Lord. It's 2014 and we're still dealing with this? Ridiculous.

Please, everyone in this state who knows how silly this flag issue is, email or write as many politicians as you can, and see if we can get that thing taken down already. Its an embarrassment for a state that has SO MUCH great stuff happening for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2014, 09:43 PM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,270,166 times
Reputation: 250
I'm glad somebody recognizes that. So much lost because something so stupid can't be put somewhere else. I think people should think before they do something. Especially if hurts money coming to the state. I bet we could have been the 19th largest state right now by population, and our infrastructure could have been better off.

But I'm pretty sure it's not coming down anytime soon. I wish they would take a state wide vote from the citizens instead of the dumb republicans who still want it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2014, 09:45 PM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,011,728 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
I'm glad somebody recognizes that. So much lost because something so stupid can't be put somewhere else. I think people should think before they do something. Especially if hurts money coming to the state. I bet we could have been the 19th largest state right now by population, and our infrastructure could have been better off.

But I'm pretty sure it's not coming down anytime soon. I wish they would take a state wide vote from the citizens instead of the dumb republicans who still want it there.
I agree. I just don't get it.

Some people argue heritage. But, MY heritage is that of an American, and the American flag flew in ALL our wars, not just that one war.

Its an issue I'll just never understand. They don't fly the Nazi flag in Berlin anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2014, 09:52 PM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,270,166 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
I agree. I just don't get it.

Some people argue heritage. But, MY heritage is that of an American, and the American flag flew in ALL our wars, not just that one war.

Its an issue I'll just never understand. They don't fly the Nazi flag in Berlin anymore.
They can argue heritage, I'm going to argue money, sports, conventions, and concerts.

Honestly, I can not wait to get out of this state for stupid decisions that mess with my quality of life Can't wait for 2016 to graduate and finally be able to go to NYU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2014, 09:58 PM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,011,728 times
Reputation: 869
Well, racism is everywhere, even in NY. If you think going North or West will get you away from racist idiots, don't bother. In fact, I've found non-Southern metros to be even worse. Maybe we've all just dealt with it mostly and moved on except for a small % of idiots.

But you're right, I'm more concerned about modern day issues than "heritage". I LOVE "HISTORY". Huge difference.

The rebel flag is history. Should be in a museum.

My "heritage" is of an American, and the US flag reps me.

Even the blue and white SC flag, as I am quite proud of my home state, despite the presence of some morons who keep things like the rebel flag alive here.

But it is a shame that 95% of SC residents have to get lumped in with the 5% of racist idiots out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2014, 10:03 PM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,270,166 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Well, racism is everywhere, even in NY. If you think going North or West will get you away from racist idiots, don't bother. In fact, I've found non-Southern metros to be even worse. Maybe we've all just dealt with it mostly and moved on except for a small % of idiots.

But you're right, I'm more concerned about modern day issues than "heritage". I LOVE "HISTORY". Huge difference.

The rebel flag is history. Should be in a museum.

My "heritage" is of an American, and the US flag reps me.

Even the blue and white SC flag, as I am quite proud of my home state, despite the presence of some morons who keep things like the rebel flag alive here.

But it is a shame that 95% of SC residents have to get lumped in with the 5% of racist idiots out there.
Well it's a much more progressive state with an open mind to nearly anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2014, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC metro
3,518 posts, read 4,404,774 times
Reputation: 1386
What's hilarious is that the Battle Flag stands for neither side of the argument. Both sides are full of idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2014, 06:32 AM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,904,996 times
Reputation: 750
The flag should come down. Good news is that this is the last year that the NCAA will hold this against Carolina. Baseball can host playoff games, glad the NCAA is correcting this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2014, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Sumter, SC
1,833 posts, read 2,075,008 times
Reputation: 1302
The flag is flying at the Confederate Memorial. Where else would you have it? If you want to blame anybody, blame the NAACP. They are the ones who magnified this into an issue of epic proportions.

Did it belong on the statehouse dome? No!
Does it belong at the Memorial for the Confederate Dead? Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2014, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,634 posts, read 13,799,206 times
Reputation: 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Flag controversy blocks South Carolina home court advantage - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

The USC womens hoops squad finished the season with a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament, one of 4 teams seeded #1. And they're the ONLY one of those 4 teams that wont open the tournament up in their home state.

Instead, they'll fly across the country to face their opponent......in Seattle.

This is a shame. And it is FAR FAR FAR past time that this idiotic relic of history be taken down, folded up, and thrown into a museum where it belongs.

Good Lord. It's 2014 and we're still dealing with this? Ridiculous.

Please, everyone in this state who knows how silly this flag issue is, email or write as many politicians as you can, and see if we can get that thing taken down already. Its an embarrassment for a state that has SO MUCH great stuff happening for it.
Email Glenn McConnell. The flag is his baby. Tell him to stick on his Hunley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top