U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:11 AM

202 posts, read 243,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
I may not pay a state income tax thanks to the deductions, but I do pay state sales tax, county sales tax, and county property taxes.

I also purchase goods and services. Those goods and services are produced and sold by companies and small businesses that pay corporate income taxes. Those taxes are built into the price I pay for the goods and services. Therefore, I'm paying the corporate income tax on behalf of those businesses.

I don't think I should be considered a second class citizen because my payments to the government come from sources other than income.
nah what you want to be is a Super Citizen in that you don't pay income tax but you want to be able to vote for higher income taxes on the people who do pay income tax. They pay what you pay in taxes, plus income tax. I do think you should be paying some income tax too so you aren't hot to trot to raise income taxes for people without some introspection on how that impacts you as well. It is easy to vote for higher income tax on other people.

There are a lot of SC residents who earn enough to be paying some income tax but are not due to our weird tax brackets. Most of these people support raising income tax on other people so I want to see them get some skin in that game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 12:31 PM

400 posts, read 495,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esso View Post
nah what you want to be is a Super Citizen in that you don't pay income tax but you want to be able to vote for higher income taxes on the people who do pay income tax. They pay what you pay in taxes, plus income tax. I do think you should be paying some income tax too so you aren't hot to trot to raise income taxes for people without some introspection on how that impacts you as well. It is easy to vote for higher income tax on other people.

There are a lot of SC residents who earn enough to be paying some income tax but are not due to our weird tax brackets. Most of these people support raising income tax on other people so I want to see them get some skin in that game.
That is exactly why I support replacing income taxes with a Value Added Tax (VAT), so that everyone will have "skin in the game".

Old 03-23-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
That is exactly why I support replacing income taxes with a Value Added Tax (VAT), so that everyone will have "skin in the game".
I don't get the impression you think people like you should have to pay some income tax. You are a free loader of some degree if you don't pay income tax but you benefit from government services, really benefit and use government services MORE than those who do pay income tax.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:07 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,933,497 times
the fact remains that no matter how you slice and or dice it living down here and is cheap tax wise. to make it even more clear take for instance the fact that when people look at moving to the charlotte metro area how many of them consider the fort mill / rock hill area due to being able to live in close proximity to the big city yet only have to pay a fraction of the cost when compared to their union and mecklenburg county brothers and sisters. i've always said that to truly know how much a state burden's it's tax payers just look at their roads and their schools. i think SC's both speak for themselves.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:22 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,019,080 times
"broaden the tax base" and

"everyone needs to have skin in the game" are nicer-sounding ways of saying

"raise taxes on the poor."

Old 03-24-2014, 06:25 AM

207 posts, read 219,830 times
Not really since raising the tax % on SC's basically flat tax would raise it on everyone.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:21 AM

40% of South Carolina residents are not poor so why are 40 % not paying income tax

Old 03-25-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
40% of South Carolina residents are not poor so why are 40 % not paying income tax
We're still waiting on you to link to this report you're talking about which supposedly says this statistic.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
We're still waiting on you to link to this report you're talking about which supposedly says this statistic.
you can google for it. chamber of commerce and SC and broaden tax base and income tax brackets.

It's ben posted on this forum before, actually so you can search on here too

i suspect you aren't open minded on this issue given the way you talk about it.

we should also keep in mind that these people are paying 0 dollars in income tax. The dollar amount they end up paying might not even be that much, maybe 100 dollars a year. But they would have some skin in the game .

Old 03-25-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
you can google for it. chamber of commerce and SC and broaden tax base and income tax brackets.
Then it should be easy for you to post a link to it. I've tried googling for it and nothing turned up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or