U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:25 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,006,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiermd View Post
I was actually considering a gap year for a while but then parents and others insisted that I would just be wasting time and wouldn't go back. So, without proper support, it probably wouldn't turn out too well. So here I am. I am worried about debt, and I would go to an in state school to minimize that but I really don't like the ones that I applied to. On the bright side, I'm using the GI bill so it will cover part of my OOS tuition. Speaking of which, USC has a program that would add to that and help pay for it which is a reason I would go there.
What is considered a useless degree? I don't think I would do too well with one in engineering.
Yes, a lot of parents are against that "break" year, because they feel like their kid will get used to not being in school...and like it...and never get around to "going back" to college. Its understandable, because a lot of people do just that. They take a year off, and never go back.

If you have GI Bill money and USC can add to it, I'd say go to USC. Student housing is easier to come by there, so there is less chance of having to rent an expensive apartment in Charleston. As far as reputation of degree, CofC isn't any better than USC, or vice versa.

Charleston is very nice and fun. But, you can always move there after graduation if you want. In my opinion, its far more important to get a good degree that you'll use, and get it while taking out as few loans as possible.

A worthless degree is just one that you don't use. For example, a lot of people major in Criminal Justice. Its a useless degree, because while many PD's require college education, NONE require it to be Criminal Justice. Just a degree. So, with that degree, you are stuck being a cop or lawyer...or not using it at all. Sociology is one that, unless you wanna be a social worker, isn't gonna land many jobs. Some major in education, because they think they want to be a teacher. Then they graduate, and decide they don't want that anymore.

I would discuss all this with your parents, and ask them for help researching job fields and careers. You have GI Bill, were you in the military? Maybe you could pick a degree that would compliment the job skills you got there.

The whole point is the make yourself marketable in a field you are interested in. And then have fun later, on weekends, once you have a job.

Either Columbia or Charleston offer plenty of stuff to have fun while in college, but if one is significantly less expensive for you, then I'd say that's the better choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 07:26 PM

202 posts, read 244,005 times
When I was going to Clemson it was almost the Uni of New Jersey given so many of them down there, b/c it was cheaper out of state than Rutgers in state tution. lol

Old 03-25-2014, 07:28 PM

17 posts, read 17,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
OP: from your user name, I'll guess you live in Maryland. If you're looking for poli-sci to eventually work in DC, one advantage of South Carolina is a large, active alumni association in DC. I am a fan of UofSC, two of my kids went there and had great experiences. One of my kids did apply and get into CofC but because she had attended a small, private school, decided that Charleston was just too small and wanted a bigger campus and wider variety of people. And, just like you, she didn't like the rural atmosphere of Clemson.

Reading through the other sites is just one more way of getting information. You can really only make the decision by visiting the campus. You'll know which feels right.
Those are actually just my initials, I'm from Northern Virginia. But close enough!

I'm glad to hear that they all enjoyed USC, and for a while it's the school I wanted to go to. It wasn't until I visited last weekend that I was truly considering C of C, and I think that's just because of the city.

I'm absolutely going to visit USC and compare, and I've spent so much time on websites. Thank you very much

Old 03-25-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esso View Post
we really pulled together as a group to help this young man make his decision, tonight. I'm proud of us. lol
I'm a girl But thank you anyways

Old 03-25-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Those are actually just my initials, I'm from Northern Virginia. But close enough!

I'm glad to hear that they all enjoyed USC, and for a while it's the school I wanted to go to. It wasn't until I visited last weekend that I was truly considering C of C, and I think that's just because of the city.

I'm absolutely going to visit USC and compare, and I've spent so much time on websites. Thank you very much
why not go to UVA, VA Tech, WIlliam and Mary, VCU, etc. lol, don't see a reason to pay out of state, VA has so many options

Old 03-25-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Yes, a lot of parents are against that "break" year, because they feel like their kid will get used to not being in school...and like it...and never get around to "going back" to college. Its understandable, because a lot of people do just that. They take a year off, and never go back.

If you have GI Bill money and USC can add to it, I'd say go to USC. Student housing is easier to come by there, so there is less chance of having to rent an expensive apartment in Charleston. As far as reputation of degree, CofC isn't any better than USC, or vice versa.

Charleston is very nice and fun. But, you can always move there after graduation if you want. In my opinion, its far more important to get a good degree that you'll use, and get it while taking out as few loans as possible.

A worthless degree is just one that you don't use. For example, a lot of people major in Criminal Justice. Its a useless degree, because while many PD's require college education, NONE require it to be Criminal Justice. Just a degree. So, with that degree, you are stuck being a cop or lawyer...or not using it at all. Sociology is one that, unless you wanna be a social worker, isn't gonna land many jobs. Some major in education, because they think they want to be a teacher. Then they graduate, and decide they don't want that anymore.

I would discuss all this with your parents, and ask them for help researching job fields and careers. You have GI Bill, were you in the military? Maybe you could pick a degree that would compliment the job skills you got there.

The whole point is the make yourself marketable in a field you are interested in. And then have fun later, on weekends, once you have a job.

Either Columbia or Charleston offer plenty of stuff to have fun while in college, but if one is significantly less expensive for you, then I'd say that's the better choice.
I'm still discussing, we're all just hoping I figure it out within my first two years while I'm doing gen eds. The GI bill is actually left over from my father being in the military - he's just handing it down to me. USC could give me an extra $5,000 I think.

You make a good point that I could just move out there after graduating. And less debt would be ideal. And I could always take trips down to Charleston...

Old 03-25-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esso View Post
why not go to UVA, VA Tech, WIlliam and Mary, VCU, etc. lol, don't see a reason to pay out of state, VA has so many options
My options in state are VCU and GMU, I didn't get into the others that I applied. GMU is way too close to home. And the only reason I would go to VCU would be because of in state tuition - I didn't feel right when I visited the campus.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
My options in state are VCU and GMU, I didn't get into the others that I applied. GMU is way too close to home. And the only reason I would go to VCU would be because of in state tuition - I didn't feel right when I visited the campus.
I don't know much about VCU but my bro lived in Richmond for two years and it seemed like a nice town. I don't see Charleston as much different other than close to beach.

I would check it out again but you should also go with your heart and do some things you want to do when you are young even if there are more practical choices, within reason

Old 03-25-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I'm still discussing, we're all just hoping I figure it out within my first two years while I'm doing gen eds. The GI bill is actually left over from my father being in the military - he's just handing it down to me. USC could give me an extra $5,000 I think.

You make a good point that I could just move out there after graduating. And less debt would be ideal. And I could always take trips down to Charleston...
I think that would be a good idea. Charleston is about a 90 minute drive from Columbia, and Myrtle Beach is about the same. So, you and a couple friends could easily split the cost of a weekend trip there. Plus, you seem like you are a bit more concerned about academics than some students, and USC's dorms may offer a little more quiet than CofC's, which are literally in the middle of a busy downtown "party" area. Its much easier to waste a night drinking when you live next to the bar.

If USC is cheaper, and the education is just as good, and you can easily road trip 90 minutes to the beach.....I think USC would be the better choice. Plus, they have a larger alumni base, which someone already said helps.

But...you said you're a girl, and CofC is right next to the 99% all-male Citadel military college haha!

Just joking. Sounds like you need to visit USC and see if that's a good fit.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:50 PM

Also, have you made a list of 3 careers you'd like to have one day? I'd make that list. And choose a major that could apply to at least 2 of them, and minor in the 3rd. And then see which school is better for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina