U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:33 PM

14 posts, read 16,204 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of relocating from Utah to South Carolina (still deciding on where to go; Columbia area, Charleston area or MB area). Any info anyone wants to give us about best family friendly areas in SC would be appreciated! We have 4 young girls, and a pretty good social network through church and I feel confident in making friends wherever we go-I have the mindset that you always find what you're looking for . I appreciate having basics close by (groceries, gas, and a couple of decent fast food places, etc). Safety is important and as far as daily living goes, neighborhoods where kids are out and playing with each other and neighbors know each other well is heaven to us! We like to do things as a family-hiking, biking, swimming and any other water sports, playing at parks, exploring new places, BBQs with friends, bonfires, camping, museums-we like those types of things to be within 45 minutes-an hour. We're looking forward to not being stuck inside during the winter months . We don't mind diversity and want to be in a community that supports our efforts in teaching our kids strong family values.

I posted this over in the Columbia forum, so I apologize for the repetition, but hopefully I can get more info here. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 06:34 AM

207 posts, read 219,899 times
welcome to the club! Look into summerville.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:06 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,056,757 times
I suggest the Summerville/Charleston area over anything you mentioned. If you don't need to be near the coast, Greenville is a very nice city and located near the mountains and the cost of living is much cheaper.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:16 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,258,501 times
I'd suggest the Columbia area for everything you listed. Right in the middle of everything. Greenville will have more of the biking trails and hiking. Columbia has Congaree National Park and Riverfront Park which are both good for walking. Charleston, Cola and MB will have your water sports. MB and Charleston having the beaches and Columbia having Lake Murray. For parks any of them will due. Greenville has a beautiful downtown park called falls park. Columbia has a more large flat space urban park called Finlay park with a pond, man-made waterfall and play sets with beautiful views of the city. Many things to do during the year at Finlay including childrens day, summer concert series, movie night and many more. Don't know about bonfires and camping. Museums would have to go with Cola and Charleston. Charleston having a bunch of history and Cola having the state museum and children's museum with historic houses, might I include the zoo. With all that said I would go with Columbia.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 PM

4,855 posts, read 3,636,696 times
Top 10 Largest SC Cities in order of their crime level #1 being the lowest crime level:

1) Mount Pleasant
2) Hilton Head Island
3) Charleston
4) Summerville
5) Columbia
6) Rock Hill
7) North Charleston
8) Sumter
9) Greenville
10) Spartanburg

This was according to 2013 Crime statistics: SC as a whole has a crime rate that is 85% above the National average, but that number is a tad skewed because of the population densities of where the crimes are happening. The ten cities listed are below, right at, or just above the national average.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:33 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,056,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Top 10 Largest SC Cities in order of their crime level #1 being the lowest crime level:

1) Mount Pleasant
2) Hilton Head Island
3) Charleston
4) Summerville
5) Columbia
6) Rock Hill
7) North Charleston
8) Sumter
9) Greenville
10) Spartanburg

This was according to 2013 Crime statistics: SC as a whole has a crime rate that is 85% above the National average, but that number is a tad skewed because of the population densities of where the crimes are happening. The ten cities listed are below, right at, or just above the national average.
That's surprising about Greenville. I never felt unsafe living there but I did live in the suburbs.

OP, the school system sucks in SC, so keep that in mind. If you decide to be in the Charleston area, you will want your children in the Dorchester II (Summerville area) or Mount Pleasant school districts. Summerville is much more affordable than Mount Pleasant, but you can't beat the convenience factor of Mount Pleasant.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:27 PM

106 posts, read 113,456 times
I would rank east part of Greenville over Charleston by a wide margin in terms of being safe.

To answer the poster, I think you can find what you are looking for pretty much anywhere in SC.

I think Florence and Aiken are both smaller cities to consider wher eit might be easier for you meet more people quicker and maybe more of a sense of community than the 3 large metroes and Mrtyle Beach. Florence is only 1 hour from the beach. Aiken is 45 minutes or so from Columbia.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:36 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,005,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post

1) Mount Pleasant
2) Hilton Head Island
3) Charleston
4) Summerville
5) Columbia
6) Rock Hill
7) North Charleston
8) Sumter
9) Greenville
10) Spartanburg

Its well known that the Lowcountry/Coastal areas of SC pay their cops a better salary/benefits than anywhere else in SC. And it shows....as they attract the best, and the crime rates are accordingly lower along the coast (with the exception of North Charleston).

Old 03-29-2014, 04:12 PM

4,855 posts, read 3,636,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Its well known that the Lowcountry/Coastal areas of SC pay their cops a better salary/benefits than anywhere else in SC. And it shows....as they attract the best, and the crime rates are accordingly lower along the coast (with the exception of North Charleston).
I was surprised to see North Charleston on the list actually.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:37 PM

14 posts, read 16,204 times
thank you everyone! Aiken, Florence, and Sumter were other places on our "list" that we were looking at closely, so I'm glad those were mentioned. We've chosen not to do Greenville b/c we'd rather be closer to the beach. We're more of a "suburb" family, so in the Columbia area we've heard of Irmo, Chapin, Lexington, and Lake Carolina. And in Charleston we've heard of Summerville and Mount Pleasant. In the MB area I've only heard of Conway. Are there other suburbs for those 3 areas that would be good to look into? I was a little disappointed to see the ratings of the schools in Aiken not very high. Are they still good schools regardless of those ratings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or