Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 03:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,248 times

Advertisements

Why don't we have a British flag flying over a memorial on the state grounds?

There were loyalists in SC who wanted the colonies to remain part of England. Those folks LOST their war. Just like the Confederates who wanted to break away lost theirs.

Why don't we honor the heritage of those whose family trees are of old British loyalists in SC? Its their heritage.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:58 PM

106 posts, read 132,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post

There were loyalists in SC who wanted the colonies to remain part of England. Those folks LOST their war. Just like the Confederates who wanted to break away lost theirs.

Why don't we honor the heritage of those whose family trees are of old British loyalists in SC? Its their heritage.
I woldn't lose sleep if British loyalists put up a flag on state grounds. Beats a tax hike or goverment raising my insurance premiums and deductible by a factor of 5.

If you had ancestors who fought in Civil War, maybe you would want to see them honored/rememberd in some way. It did happen, you can't wish it away.

Why are kids taught civil war history in governmnet run schools?

Old 03-29-2014, 04:11 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetrav View Post
I woldn't lose sleep if British loyalists put up a flag on state grounds. Beats a tax hike or goverment raising my insurance premiums and deductible by a factor of 5.

If you had ancestors who fought in Civil War, maybe you would want to see them honored/rememberd in some way. It did happen, you can't wish it away.

because if not for the Civil war there would be almost nothing of interest between the Mexican-American war and the Spanish-American war

Old 03-29-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Yep, sure would. By flying the American flag....the symbol of ALL the great and bad times this country has gone through.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Yep, sure would. By flying the American flag....the symbol of ALL the great and bad times this country has gone through.
Ok well you probably see it differently if you have Confederate ancestors.

I think some people make history more important than it is.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Ok well you probably see it differently if you have Confederate ancestors.

I think some people make history more important than it is.
I do. And I have Korean War ancestors. And Revolutionary War ancestors.

Flying the rebel flag is just as stupid as someone saying the British flag should fly to honor the colonial loyalists of 1775.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I do. And I have Korean War ancestors. And Revolutionary War ancestors.

Flying the rebel flag is just as stupid as someone saying the British flag should fly to honor the colonial loyalists of 1775.
Ok, if you say so. We get to vote on it though, remember? Why not just live with democracy like you do on the healthcare law, for example.

The northern states are more than welcomed to come down here and take it down if it bothers them. Looks like it doesn't.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:20 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:

It's because of cultural ties and closeness to that particular country/area. Is anyone rabidly proud of displaying their British heritage? It's hard to forsee anyone pushing for a flag atop the statehouse or having a memorial when we're too busy sipping sweet tea instead of hot tea. People feel closer to what they know and still are, southern. To me its all really a domestic display of heritage that Americans/southerners feel close to vs. celebrating being British. If we start with a British commemoration of loyalists on lets say, the state house grounds then we should also honor anyone in direct relation that fought at the battle of Iswandala (sp?) and other British conflicts (of which there are MANY, lol). I see what you're saying, but at the same time what's more relevant to this area? What is most recent (relatively)?
Interesting concept though. I think it'd be different and against the grain to put something like that up there. Maybe it could be done by Confederate Flag supporters so as to take away attention from the Confederate battle flag lol Alright, now I'm getting silly... Anyways!

Old 03-29-2014, 09:23 PM

I thought southerners got mocked for flying the American flag post 9-11. That was supposed to be redneck too.

only time leftwingers seem to support the American flag is when they are on the soapbox about this confederate flag phony issue.

There is only like 5 or 6 white people in SC, all Democrats and Gamecock fans, who care about this flag in SC. One of them is Ernest Hollings, who put it up on the state house to begin with.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:29 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,261 times
Get it right: War of Northern Aggression
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina