Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 07:39 PM

219 posts, read 853,011 times

Advertisements

My name is Judy, printman's other half. I have some questions to ask about the expense of living in North Carolina as opposed to South Carolina. After reading about the palmetto bugs and the spiders, I am not sure I want to live in either place, but either of these two states seem to be the answer for us Living in New Jersey will be impossible if Dennis retires because of the real estate taxes. The Carolinas have short winters and taxes are a mere fraction of what we pay in New Jersey. Dennis doesn't like to be cold and with my medical problems, the warm weather would be beneficial.

I have been told that SC is more senior citizen friendly that NC. I am 64 and have been on social security disability for 2 1/2 years. We had a down payment on a house in NC but we lost it because we could not get anyone to qualify for a mortgage for my house. I was quite disappointed but I am beginning to think that as usual things happen for the best and I was not meant to move there. As I was looking for other homes in NC, I came across a really nice property in SC. The little bit that I have read leads me to believe that living in SC would be less expensive that NC. It seems as though SC is more senior citizen friendly than NC So far, I have only looked at the deduction on state taxes. I have not checked out the taxes on cars or anything else which may make a difference. My brother-in-law lives in Calabash and I stayed at his house for a week. I was lucky enough not to see any palmetto bugs but I did see a mound of fire antsl I have no objection to walking around with bug spray in my pocket. I would appreciate any info anyone could give me. Most of you seem to know so much and I would appreciate the benefit of your experience.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 12:44 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
I have now lived in SC and NC and currently live in SC, which I find to be cheaper. The overall daily expenses such as gasoline seem to be cheaper, as do some of the utilities, like home heating gas. The taxes are generally less in SC too. Though both states require annual property taxes on vehicles, most places in SC seem to be less than most places in NC; though auto inurance is higher (for me) in SC. I believe there is a "homestead exemption" for senior citizens on property tax in SC as well. SC's home property tax is dropping in 2008 as they are raising sales tax by 1% to make up for it. I live just outside of Charlotte, so I enjoy what both states offer, including everything Charlotte has.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:57 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
I also moved from NJ and researched NC & SC before moving here. I found SC to be less expensive as groove1 described.

If you are worried about bugs, yes there are many. It's been the hardest thing for me to get used to but can't have everything perfect I guess. There are a lot more positives here then negatives but you would have to adjust.

Weather is great and people are friendly.
Good luck!

Old 12-08-2007, 02:45 AM

38 posts, read 145,716 times
Personally SC is nicer looking then NC. Just my opinion.
My wife absolutely loves it here.
We will homestead our home next year.
Gas prices are lower in general.
It is very senior friendly and everywhere we go we see lots of "old folks" like us. Makes you feel at home.

As for the "Bugs", walk softly and carry a big hammer.

We're just south of Myrtle Beach in Georgetown County.

Come on down and sit a spell.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:05 AM

330 posts, read 1,196,973 times
We also relocated from NJ to SC.

We began looking in NC, but in the end SC felt more like the "south" to us and the cheaper homes and taxes just sealed the deal. Our first look at SC began in Tega Cay and Fort Mill (on the SC side of Charlotte) and we almost committed. But we realized that the lakes there couldn't take the place of our love for the beach (we spent all our summers at the Jersey shore) and we decided to look towards the coast instead.

There are many different areas and locations to look at in SC, and the hardest part is deciding where you'd like to live. We settled in Summerville, 30 miles outside of Charleston, because we wanted to be close to the beaches and Charleston, and also the proximity to the Medical University of South Carolina, which I needed for my ongoing battle with cancer. SC also has wonderful medical insurance, much much better than I've dealt with in NJ. We pay half of what we paid before, and have twice as much coverage.

I don't think the bugs are that bad personally. We do have our share of palmetto bugs that we find on our front porch at night, but spraying usually keeps them at bay. As for fire ants, we also had a mound of those when we moved in, but a neighbor mentioned this bag of pesticide that you put down on your lawn that kills them and most nasty bugs. It's like a fine gravel, and it worked like a charm.

We have many many retirees in and around our neighborhood and in Summerville in general. Most are from the north. I figure SC must be doing something right for so many to be moving here, right?

I'd come down and visit us for a bit. SC is such a beautiful state and the people here are wonderful.

-Stephanie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina