U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:07 PM

72 posts, read 67,151 times

Advertisements

Has anybody else obtained their 2015 sticker? I was surprised it was a black dot rather then the shape of SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 01:33 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,004,876 times
Budget cuts.

They used to issue a different color for each year. Red, yellow, green, blue, etc , etc, so that police officers could more easily spot an expired tag since you have to get pretty close to read the number.

Now, with just a white and black sticker, its harder to see, and people are more slack about keeping their tags up to date.

The state symbol replaced by just a round dot? Hmmm. More budget cuts.

Hell, we aren't far from just eliminating the need to renew plates at all. Afterall, its not like we're using that money to keep the roads in shape anyway.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relay4Life View Post
I've never noticed this road problem in SC. I'm sure it exists though, in your head.

The black dot works for me, there is no need for it be a SC shape as far as I can see. I can live with that kind of budget cut. My question was to ensure I would not get pulled for not having one with a shape of SC on it.
If that's what the DMV gave you, then no, you wont get pulled.

The reason they had the state shape is so the decal couldn't be taken off and used in the other 49 states, and vice versa. Each state has its own marking.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
so far I haven't seen another one like this and everybody tells me it was a goof by the DMV. They didn't give me a month stick for some reason, too.
Call them and ask. They may send you another one.

But knowing the SC DMV....you'll probably get told it was an error, get no apology, be told its your responsibility to come get a new one, and then probably have your license suspended and make you pay a $100 reinstatement fee....to reinstate it from a suspension that happened due to their error.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
lol probably, I'd rather deal with DMV than the cops later on, though. Cops have no discretion, so rigid about stuff.

Cops have a LOT of discretion. I've seen them find marijuana, and just tell the person to flush it or toss it away. They all have their own standard for speeding. Some say "Even 1 mph over is speeding". Others I've heard say "I'll give 'em 15 over before I even pay attention, and only 20 over gets a ticket".

You'd be shocked at just how many very lenient cops are out there.

BUT, the catch is, the very strict ones are the ones who are responsible for 90% of contacts with the public.

Say you have 60 patrol officers. If the 10 really strict officers stop 300 people in a month, and 50 lenient officers stop only 30 people total in a month....guess how strict most of those 330 people will think "all cops" are?

Old 04-07-2014, 02:38 PM

6,269 posts, read 18,835,193 times
Quote:
They didn't give me a month stick for some reason, too.
You don't get the month sticker on a renewal. As long as you keep that plate, I suspect you won't get one again.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
You don't get the month sticker on a renewal. As long as you keep that plate, I suspect you won't get one again.
Theres really no reason to issue stickers anymore. Cops can run the plate through their computer or radio dispatch, which tells them if the plate is valid or not. Same thing for the law requiring you to have registration on you. Lots of laws we have are outdated and haven't been really needed for years.

But then again, some say SC still lives in the 60's.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:12 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,019,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Theres really no reason to issue stickers anymore. Cops can run the plate through their computer or radio dispatch, which tells them if the plate is valid or not. Same thing for the law requiring you to have registration on you. Lots of laws we have are outdated and haven't been really needed for years.

But then again, some say SC still lives in the 60's.
I think there's a shame factor, people will be more active about renewing their registration if every person walking past can see they're expired.

Besides, it's much more efficient for a police officer to look at a sticker and know immediately if it's expired, instead of having to enter every license plate they see into the computer.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:28 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,836,794 times
Relay,
Ultra blue state? What are you talking about?
You do realize that most South Carolinians don't want ANY sticker or
registration at all, right?
You see nothiing wrong with government intervention into our car rights?
The conservitive attitude is no government at all in car issues.
Hello?
Geeesh

Old 04-08-2014, 08:47 PM

810 posts, read 1,297,023 times
Quote:
I've never noticed this road problem in SC. I'm sure it exists though, in your head.
Then get on I20 west between Aiken and Augusta and tell us what you think; or east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina