U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:13 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,391,713 times

Advertisements

Does SC accept common law marriage? What are the rules or guidelines? I'm asking because I'm moving there with my boyfriend and the company he works for will allow him to add me to his benefit pkg if we live in a common law state.

Also, does anyone have a round about idea what health insurance costs for an individual in SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 05:22 AM

93 posts, read 378,798 times
I am fairly sure SC allows for common law marriage. I did taxes last year, and was told people can file - married filing jointly, even if they are just living together.

There is a ballot measure regarding the marriage issue next month which may affect that.

visit www.ehealthinsurance.com to get a quote. For a family of 5 we paid $317/month for major medical.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:29 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,638,950 times
South Carolina:

The criteria for a common law marriage are: (1) when two parties have a present intent (usually, but not necessarily, evidenced by a public and unequivocal declaration) to enter into a marriage contract; and (2) "a mutual agreement between the parties to assume toward each other the relation of husband and wife." See Tarnowski v. Lieberman (S.C. Ct. App. 2002). The minimum age for such a marriage is fourteen years old as established by South Carolina Code of Laws 20-1-100 (2004). For this law to apply the minimum time the couple have lived together continuously had to have exceeded 30 days.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 54,438 times
Does SC have state insurance?

Old 03-03-2007, 01:12 PM

474 posts, read 2,025,315 times
Rapture, as always, you should check with an attorney. Here is the scoop on c/l marriage in several states. However, remember that holding yourself out to be married will not only affect your health benefits, but if you split up, you will have to file for divorce and there will be other legalities.

http://www.unmarried.org/commonlaw.pdf

Old 04-27-2007, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 36,133 times
Am I concidered "Married" if my boyfriend i've been living with for 6 years claimed my kids and myself on his income tax for 3 of the 6 years ? Need " Legal " answer Please

Old 09-01-2007, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 35,287 times
Default sc common law marriage

in south carolina, what constitutes a common law marriage? for example, a man and a woman have been living together for 4 years. they have two children together during that time. they are still living together. are they considered married under sc common law? is there a 'time limit' they have to have been living together? does the birth of two children between them during that time change the situation any?

Old 09-01-2007, 05:13 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,391,713 times
I started this thread last October and since then what I found out is you are considered "common law" when you live together. If you file taxes together, have insurance together etc...living like husband and wife. I also found out that if you split up you have to get a divorce like any other married couple.

As others have suggested, you should see an attorney for any legal matters regarding this.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:31 AM

543 posts, read 2,148,988 times
The laws regarding common law marriage have changed in this state.

After Jan. 1, 2006, common law marriages are no longer recognized in this state.

****Update**** As of January 1, 2006 the practices of allowing common law marriages has been removed from state law. The purpose of the bill:" TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 20-1-110 SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT COMMON LAW MARRIAGE IN THE STATE MAY NOT BE RECOGNIZED ON AND AFTER JANUARY 1, 2006, AND TO PROVIDE AN EXCEPTION FOR A COMMON LAW MARRIAGE EXISTING AS OF DECEMBER 31, 2005; AND TO REPEAL SECTION 20-1-360 RELATING TO THE VALIDITY OF A MARRIAGE CONTRACTED WITHOUT THE ISSUANCE OF A LICENSE." 2005-2006 Bill 3588: Common law marriage - www.scstatehouse.net - LPITS (broken link)

Old 09-03-2007, 07:51 AM

14 posts, read 86,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Tiller View Post
Am I concidered "Married" if my boyfriend i've been living with for 6 years claimed my kids and myself on his income tax for 3 of the 6 years ? Need " Legal " answer Please
I will tell you what my CPA told me not that I am common law married but this is what she told me anyway "If you do any legal transaction as husband and wife you are considered married by law" She said that she had some couple file taxes together as man and wife then she found out that the guy owed lots of federal taxes and they ended up seperating and she was still going to be held liable for the taxes as well by the IRS just as if they had married in a church or at a judges office and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina