Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 05:35 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times

Advertisements

Is there an end to this stupid argument? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 11:20 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's not true of all industries. Many still thrive off clustering which fosters innovation and creativity--hence why Silicon Valley will always be Silicon Valley. Many other places have attempted to duplicate the "magic" that occurs there, and while they have had some success, it can never be completely duplicated due to the critical mass present, supported by the human and physical infrastructure that's been in place for decades.
That's true. But, we've become so much more efficient in society, and so much more is based on electronic communications. And, in the coming years and decades, I really think pay and benefits for employees are going to plateau as society deals with the harsh reality of globalization and a lowering of the American standard of living from it.

Because of that, I think employee morale is the next great innovation of the American workforce. Companies that find ways to keep morale up will succeed the most, since just offering higher pay and sweet benefits are going to be a thing of the past.

So, having the ability to locate in a beautiful city will help.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:01 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
That's true. But, we've become so much more efficient in society, and so much more is based on electronic communications. And, in the coming years and decades, I really think pay and benefits for employees are going to plateau as society deals with the harsh reality of globalization and a lowering of the American standard of living from it.

Because of that, I think employee morale is the next great innovation of the American workforce. Companies that find ways to keep morale up will succeed the most, since just offering higher pay and sweet benefits are going to be a thing of the past.

So, having the ability to locate in a beautiful city will help.
Yep. I think the "back to the city" movement currently in place attests to that.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:48 AM

12,898 posts, read 18,751,931 times
I'm strongly under the impression that the state of South Carolina's commerce department promotes the entire state county by county, town by town and city by city, but mostly county by county from what I can tell.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:27 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,688 times
Big urban gains, rural losses in the Carolinas | UNC Charlotte Urban Institute | UNC Charlotte

Interesting article on the Carolina's growth and how urban areas are continuing to grow

Old 05-03-2014, 01:54 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Big urban gains, rural losses in the Carolinas | UNC Charlotte Urban Institute | UNC Charlotte

Interesting article on the Carolina's growth and how urban areas are continuing to grow
This is a good analysis and shows the trend of people wanting to live in larger metros and not in places like Orangeburg which is showing negative growth. Charleston is showing good growth driven by retirees and Boeing, Columbia and Greenville are growing at similar levels.

I don't see companies letting folks chose where to live on any large scale but companies are establishing multiple locations which almost splits out the traditional company headquarters functions like finance, IT, HR etc... These are the types of operations that are attracting folks to places like Charlotte including York and Lancaster.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:37 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post

That's a horrible article given the title and a very subpar analysis as it is extremely NC-centric; the only SC metro specifically mentioned was Myrtle Beach. They would have been better off just showing the maps or making the title reflective of just NC. But that's typically how it is with a lot of "Carolinas" articles from an NC source.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's a horrible article given the title and a very subpar analysis as it is extremely NC-centric; the only SC metro specifically mentioned was Myrtle Beach. They would have been better off just showing the maps or making the title reflective of just NC. But that's typically how it is with a lot of "Carolinas" articles from an NC source.
I don't think the source is the problem, Raleigh and Charlotte are in different leagues in comparison with other Carolina cities. This article shows the extent to which counties like Meck and Wake are above others. This follows a national trend of folks moving back to cities. I have seen similar articles from private economist and even statistical info that shows how the so called B list cities like Charlotte are attracting more millenials.

The source is not the problem with the article, you may not like the message but it is not NC centric writing. Now before folks start crying about being a Charlotte homer, look below the surface numbers that are published in The Greenville News and Post and Courier.

I agree that SC needs economic development in ALL of SC however, outside of the three SC metros and Charlotte, there is not much else to sell a relocating company. Try showing Orangeburg to a company and see how fast they run.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:47 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I don't think the source is the problem, Raleigh and Charlotte are in different leagues in comparison with other Carolina cities. This article shows the extent to which counties like Meck and Wake are above others. This follows a national trend of folks moving back to cities. I have seen similar articles from private economist and even statistical info that shows how the so called B list cities like Charlotte are attracting more millenials.

The source is not the problem with the article, you may not like the message but it is not NC centric writing. Now before folks start crying about being a Charlotte homer, look below the surface numbers that are published in The Greenville News and Post and Courier.

I agree that SC needs economic development in ALL of SC however, outside of the three SC metros and Charlotte, there is not much else to sell a relocating company. Try showing Orangeburg to a company and see how fast they run.
You say that but Berkeley county SC grew at the 3rd fastest rate out of those counties, granted the counties at #1 and 2 gained fewer total people than Berkeley did.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
You say that but Berkeley county SC grew at the 3rd fastest rate out of those counties, granted the counties at #1 and 2 gained fewer total people than Berkeley did.
Berkeley surprised me, I thought Charleston Co would be the faster down there. What is the deal with Berkeley?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina