U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 08:12 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,378,575 times

Advertisements

I don't know the answer to either of your questions, but I suspect it's something personal and close to his heart. He has to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 PM

26 posts, read 49,089 times
Charlotte is a nice place but it just reminds me of an oversized town. GSP101...I have no comment...waste of time and energy. (there's five seconds i won't see again).

Old 05-06-2014, 09:31 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,894,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajones3 View Post
Charlotte is a nice place but it just reminds me of an oversized town. GSP101...I have no comment...waste of time and energy. (there's five seconds i won't see again).
Carolina, if you are trolling for an argument, go elsewhere. Based on your post, it sounds like you have other names on this board and just are trying to argue.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I don't know the answer to either of your questions, but I suspect it's something personal and close to his heart. He has to do it.
Red, seriously, its kind of sad to see you still talking about me while at the same time putting me on ignore. If you ignore me, have the self respect to move on and not carry on a conversation about me, it's kind of pathetic.

And, you still don't get it......it has nothing to do with any silly garbage that you have dreamed up. Fact is, Greenville is a nice small metro. You can live a good life there but it struggles in a lot of areas that are often overlooked because of Main Street. The growth rate is overstated by Greenville leaders and a lot of developments are government subsidized. The city is currently seeking federal funds for the trail. There is nothing wiring with asking for grants, it is just ironic to see in such a neo conservative area.

And, Greenville cheerleaders are quick to trash Charlotte. Carolinajones3 and whoever else he is on here just took a shot at Charlotte. You don't have to look far on this board to see baseless comments like "Greenville has everything good that Charlotte has without the bad stuff".......without a doubt, and I am not being mean, anyone with a Brain can see that Charlotte offers exponentially more than Greenville, it is 3-4 times the size and much wealthier. You also see Greenville posters like Oldhousejunkie making comments that Greenville does not want to be another Charlotte. Good news for oldhousejunkie, it won't in our lifetime. So, you get overworked when I use logic and economics to smooth out the rough edges of what is said and most of the time ignore emotional comments without merit like the ones mentioned above. You can't have it both ways, as much as you like Greenville, keep it within reason.

Believe it or not, I am fully aware of what Charlotte is and is not. It is a high growth city that has a ton of momentum and is expanding in almost every area but it is not a Dallas type city. It is a mid sized metro that is growing into a major metro within a decade or so. The fact that we were on the short list for Toyota is huge, we typically have not made it to that list of projects. and, going back to what I said earlier, if SC would go after a project like this that would only be interested in metro Charlotte, it would help the state. Having Toyota's US HQ with 4k jobs would put SC on the map for other major projects. I still am not sure why that is so hard to understand other than regional politics.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Which I dont understand....everything good about Charlotte, Greenville has. Without most of the stuff that's bad about Charlotte.

My gut instinct is that he doesn't live in Charlotte. I think he lives in Lancaster, York, or one of those counties, and doesn't like his SC town being overshadowed by the 3 metros in SC, so he latches on to the Charlotte thing to try to position himself in some sort of superior position somehow.
Based on your comments posted here, you really don't understand what is going on. First, you completely missed the point about Toyota with the silly comment about having a corporate building to look at. Second, if you think Greenville has everything which is good about Charlotte, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and just trolling. I have lived in both places and without a doubt, it is not close. To be fair, folks can be happy in Greenville but compared with Charlotte, it is not close. And, before you think you are insulting me with the Atlanta garbage, don't bother. I have nothing against the city and it has more than Charlotte just as NYC or London have more than Atlanta. I am happy in Charlotte with what it has and does not have. The ability to understand what is and isn't is the difference between folks who are successful and ones who are satisfied with a nice creek or bridge. Be happy in your smallish metro of Charleston which was so well represented on Bravo.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:15 AM

10,646 posts, read 9,015,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Based on your comments posted here, you really don't understand what is going on. First, you completely missed the point about Toyota with the silly comment about having a corporate building to look at. Second, if you think Greenville has everything which is good about Charlotte, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and just trolling. I have lived in both places and without a doubt, it is not close. To be fair, folks can be happy in Greenville but compared with Charlotte, it is not close. And, before you think you are insulting me with the Atlanta garbage, don't bother. I have nothing against the city and it has more than Charlotte just as NYC or London have more than Atlanta. I am happy in Charlotte with what it has and does not have. The ability to understand what is and isn't is the difference between folks who are successful and ones who are satisfied with a nice creek or bridge. Be happy in your smallish metro of Charleston which was so well represented on Bravo.
I am sure you'll find like minded opinions on the Charlotte board, where this thread belongs. You insistence on posting about a NC city on a SC board is why people don't want to listen to you. Perhaps, you would be better served and find less resistance if you just posted in the right place.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:38 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,006,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
No. I didn't miss the point. You talk about big corporate buildings like they are masterful works of art that we should all go bow in front of. I'll pass. Give me mountains or a beach any day.

Greenville DOES have everything good that Charlotte has. Want me to start? Ok. A beautiful downtown. Plenty of great nature trails and hiking. Sports teams? Guess what. The Panthers play 8 days a year. Greenville is a 1 hour drive if they want to watch them. Why live in the congestion of Charlotte just for 8 days a year of a football team? The arts? Greenville has plenty. Basically, Charlotte offers what one would get if they took 4 Greenvilles and congested them. Why bother with such crowding and congestion. I don't need 4 Greenvilles. I just need 1. (And I'd rather watch SEC football anyway)

And as for Charleston......yes, it too is "smallish" like Greenville. Thank goodness. I don't want the overcrowding of a place like Charlotte, for the sake of being offered....well, nothing that our smallish metros cant offer.

As for the bolded comment about Bravo? You still mad that our "smallish metro" is by far more globally famous than your large metro? Charleston is the location of 3-4 upcoming nationally televised shows, as well as the home city for several fictional TV series coming up. If it weren't for the Panthers and Hornets, people probably wouldn't be sure what state Charlotte is in.

I am happy here, very happy, and our smallish metro is booming. So is Greenville's. And Columbia's. Its why we are all here in the SC forum talking about it, and not in the NC forum trying to one-up NC cities.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
No. I didn't miss the point. You talk about big corporate buildings like they are masterful works of art that we should all go bow in front of. I'll pass. Give me mountains or a beach any day.

Greenville DOES have everything good that Charlotte has. Want me to start? Ok. A beautiful downtown. Plenty of great nature trails and hiking. Sports teams? Guess what. The Panthers play 8 days a year. Greenville is a 1 hour drive if they want to watch them. Why live in the congestion of Charlotte just for 8 days a year of a football team? The arts? Greenville has plenty. Basically, Charlotte offers what one would get if they took 4 Greenvilles and congested them. Why bother with such crowding and congestion. I don't need 4 Greenvilles. I just need 1. (And I'd rather watch SEC football anyway)

And as for Charleston......yes, it too is "smallish" like Greenville. Thank goodness. I don't want the overcrowding of a place like Charlotte, for the sake of being offered....well, nothing that our smallish metros cant offer.

As for the bolded comment about Bravo? You still mad that our "smallish metro" is by far more globally famous than your large metro? Charleston is the location of 3-4 upcoming nationally televised shows, as well as the home city for several fictional TV series coming up. If it weren't for the Panthers and Hornets, people probably wouldn't be sure what state Charlotte is in.

I am happy here, very happy, and our smallish metro is booming. So is Greenville's. And Columbia's. Its why we are all here in the SC forum talking about it, and not in the NC forum trying to one-up NC cities.
Amazing, you still don't get it. The TM project was 4k jobs and could help the SC Commerce dept attract other similar projects. It would have been a great project for SC.

As for Greenville, your comments remind me of the Charleston realtor who said we are a big city that lives small. Keep believing Greenville has what Charlotte has, you are in a dream world. I have lived in both places, trust me, it's not close.

Glad you like where you live. Your other comments are just tell material but if you believe it, keep playing the lottery.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I am sure you'll find like minded opinions on the Charlotte board, where this thread belongs. You insistence on posting about a NC city on a SC board is why people don't want to listen to you. Perhaps, you would be better served and find less resistance if you just posted in the right place.
South, this thread is not specific to Charlotte. Folks like CD like to bring in Charlotte but it has been about recruiting industry to SC and leveraging Charlotte since it sits 5 miles into NC.

The resistance that I see is due to historical preferences for where SC should grow. The state is slanted towards Charleston politically and folks down there aren't too interest in believing that there is a metro in SC that is larger, faster growing, wealthier and is widely known for things other than T Rav and Shep. I like charleston but your fellow residents are interesting.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:12 AM

7,987 posts, read 11,207,162 times
Not sure why this thread derailed, but GSP101 had excellent points in starting this thread, as regards South Carolina leveraging the suburban Charlotte area that lies within the SC boundaries. Some need to put South Carolina pride aside and see that Charlotte is the center of "THE Carolinas". They don't call it Metrolina for nothing.

When I did live in Greenville, numerous people from around the country would refer to me living "THE Carolinas". It is a strong brand message.....use it....use Charlotte's strength. Pick the low hanging fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or