Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 02:59 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,398,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
CD.....don't start another trash talking thread, it gets old. I posted this because Charlotte is and has been one of the nations's fastest growing cities and is one of the leading cities today and into the future which affects SC. As for tech, Charlotte is certainly not on the level of Austin or Raleigh but, with a few exceptions, it does very well. With 10k apartments under construction, at least 6 new highrises in various stages of development downtown, 3 at Southpark and a couple in Ballantyne, the metro is poised to build on strong growth in all industry sectors.

The state of SC should take more advantage of Charlotte's national reputation as a business center with clusters in energy, finance, transports, and yes, tech. If so, maybe projects like LPL's consolidated offices will locate in SC's second fastest growing county of York.
Atlanta affects SC too. So does Savannah. But no one from Atlanta or Savannah posts a bunch of Atlanta stuff on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 03:04 PM

So, once again, our visiting Charlotte resident is on the SC forum trying to convince everyone how huge and awesome and ahead of the curve Charlotte is.

GSP...you can rest. We are all convinced. Charlotte is pretty much the next New York. I have no clue why anyone who wants a job would live ANYWHERE except Charlotte. Its kinda like if you combined Rome, New York and Hong Kong, you'd get Charlotte.

You happy? Give it a rest.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:11 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,565,877 times
What does light rail and large urban development have to do with this? None of that exists in the SC portion of the Charlotte metro. And I think we all know that it won't be coming to SC anytime soon. We are talking about luring companies further into SC and away from the mentioned assets of the Charlotte metro. Why? Sure, we can try and capture as much growth as possible, but the SC counties are not prepared to handle such growth in the same ways that Mecklenburg has been.

Last edited by gvillesc; 04-16-2014 at 03:20 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 03:30 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,586,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
What does light rail and large urban development have to do with this? None of that exists in the SC portion of the Charlotte metro. And I think we all know that it won't be coming to SC anytime soon. We are talking about luring companies further into SC and away from the mentioned assets of the Charlotte metro. Why?
Light rail may be in York County at some point. This is not an either/or situation. Being in the Charlotte metro has a number of advantages that can't be found elsewhere in SC. For the state, leveraging those assets to attract companies that would otherwise pass over the state entirely is smart. I am not sure why that elicits negative comments like "Atlanta like sprawl". For instance, a company like Fidelity may be interested in locating in a large metro with a deep labor pool, fast growth and an international airport. The state could work with the company for the York area. If you show Charleston to a company with that set of requirements, you are wasting time. Or companies with large tech requirements would be well positioned being close to large tech operations in companies like BofA, TIAA Cref, Wells Fargo, Duke or other companies that single handily have larger tech employments than a city like Charleston.

It all depends on the company needs as to what the state should pitch.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,565,877 times
Quote:
Light rail may be in York County at some point. This is not an either/or situation. Being in the Charlotte metro has a number of advantages that can't be found elsewhere in SC. For the state, leveraging those assets to attract companies that would otherwise pass over the state entirely is smart. I am not sure why that elicits negative comments like "Atlanta like sprawl". For instance, a company like Fidelity may be interested in locating in a large metro with a deep labor pool, fast growth and an international airport. The state could work with the company for the York area. If you show Charleston to a company with that set of requirements, you are wasting time. Or companies with large tech requirements would be well positioned being close to large tech operations in companies like BofA, TIAA Cref, Wells Fargo, Duke or other companies that single handily have larger tech employments than a city like Charleston.

All of that makes sense and I agree. I thought we were talking about luring companies out of CLT. If a compAny wants Charlotte, then it should chose Charlotte. If a company wants acces to Charlotte, then sure, there is no reason they should not consider SC counties over places like Concord and Gastonia.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:37 PM

37,796 posts, read 41,526,758 times
Quote:
I would hope that as a state, recruiters look to the area that will best fit the needs of the company and therefore be a likely site for the company. I get filling in the urban areas and that will continue. But, the state's effort in the Charlotte counties is almost nonexistent with regards to new companies. Because Charlotte has strong metrics on all levels for a company in addition to a top 10 airport, I think the state is missing opportunities.

If you look out 20 years, these counties will be larger players in the state as I see York similar to Gwinnett. Of course, Greenville will still be the largest SC based metro in 20 years and based on the Atlantic, Columbia and Charleston will fill out 2 and 3 but the Charlotte counties are a good resource for the state.

And, I would argue that these counties would be a great pick for large advanced manufacturing projects. The area has a better manufacturing based workforce than Charleston who has Boeing, it is close to rail (the intermodal terminal at Charlotte Douglas), and close to the airport with 3 parallel runways(soon to be 4).

We can look at it 100 ways but I see this area as an opportunity for the state to go after companies that otherwise would not be interested in SC.
I'm not saying that the Charlotte-area counties wouldn't be good for large manufacturing companies; as a matter of fact it would be good to see some in the center and southern portions of York and Lancaster counties in particular which haven't benefited as much from the economic spillover from Charlotte and would mainly benefit residents of SC as opposed to a large contingent of NC commuters. As far as Charleston's strengths, that region had manufacturing well before Boeing and has a huge asset in its port.

I think it may be possible that the state doesn't purposely go after as many companies for the Charlotte 'burbs because there's a strong possibility those companies would instead opt to locate in Charlotte proper to be closer to the city's workforce, amenities, etc. And then SC would have done all that work for NC to ultimately reap the benefits.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:

You know.....you seem to forget the off chance that maybe, just maybe, people calling the shots in SC and it's cities just DONT WANT to end up like Charlotte? I cant speak for everyone. But I'm sure the fine folks of Greenville and Charleston would agree that neither city would want a Bank of America or Duke Power tower sticking up in the middle of the city. Would ruin the atmosphere of both cities. Again, people who want to live in Charlotte live there. And many who DONT want to live in a place like Charlotte....choose places like Charleston or Greenville instead.

And as for York, if a company is smart at all, they are looking at the Charlotte area already, then they'll naturally have their researchers look at the surrounding areas, and research tax rates and rates they would pay for lease, rent, overhead, etc.

Why would SC put forth money and time to inform companies...of stuff that these companies are already researching on their own?

Another angle- in the future, with more and more business now being able to get accomplished online or through video conference and email....there is less and less requirement for a business to be located in a massive city. And companies have a bit more freedom to locate to non-traditional cities, and have their staff and employees live in a city that they'll enjoy more, and thus, be happier and have higher morale and higher productivity.

So in 10-20 years, maybe these companies no longer need to be in a major city cluster like Charlotte, but can choose places that are more fun to be in. We'll see.

But, Charlotte is still in North Carolina. Where you live. Just a reminder.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:56 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,293,153 times
I'm pretty much okay with the Charleston metro not being Charlotte.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
All of that makes sense and I agree. I thought we were talking about luring companies out of CLT. If a compAny wants Charlotte, then it should chose Charlotte. If a company wants acces to Charlotte, then sure, there is no reason they should not consider SC counties over places like Concord and Gastonia.
I know it will continue but I am not a fan of companies moving across the state line. But, I would like to see SC recruit more organically for this area. It would help the state as a whole to have large high impact companies in the service sector. And I agree, I would locate in York over Gaston or Cabarrus counties.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not saying that the Charlotte-area counties wouldn't be good for large manufacturing companies; as a matter of fact it would be good to see some in the center and southern portions of York and Lancaster counties in particular which haven't benefited as much from the economic spillover from Charlotte and would mainly benefit residents of SC as opposed to a large contingent of NC commuters. As far as Charleston's strengths, that region had manufacturing well before Boeing and has a huge asset in its port.

I think it may be possible that the state doesn't purposely go after as many companies for the Charlotte 'burbs because there's a strong possibility those companies would instead opt to locate in Charlotte proper to be closer to the city's workforce, amenities, etc. And then SC would have done all that work for NC to ultimately reap the benefits.
That's what I was thinking, advanced manufacturing in the southern parts of these counties makes a lot of sense. I am not sure if there is a super site down there but it would be a good location for a second SC auto plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina