U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 01:02 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,005,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
This has nothing to do with tall building and stadiums......

So, now you move the goal posts again by bringing in Atlanta. Well, ATL isn't major compared with SF or London. But, that is not what you said. You said that you could get anything in Greenville or Charleston that you can get in Charlotte. Well, posters from your city disagree. And, I doubt they are SOB, that crowd will travel to NYC. They are most likely people in Mt Pleasant, Summerville etc.....same for concerts, shows, Carowinds, sports, and even the airport.

No, Charlotte has NASCAR, it is not a NaSCAR town, hasn't been in a long time. Using NASCAR as an adjective to describe Charlotte would be completely wrong. You use it to bash the city.....could be that wealthy image you want to portray.

Not sure where your fascination with trying to classify Charlotte comes from. It is a top 25 metro that is growing rapidly. It is a great city to live in and work. There are an abundance of job opportunities and the income levels are much higher than the cost of living. The city has great neighborhoods, recreation, entertainment, arts, sports, etc......regardless of this crazy notion that it is too big to be charming and too small to be major. Personally, I don't see Greenville or Charleston as charming. Greenville is a nice Main Street surrounded by sprawl. I like the historical part of Charleston but Mt Pleasant (outside of old town) is just a suburb. There is absolutely nothing charming about that. North Charleston or Summerville.........no, they are less than charming. Neighborhoods like Myers Park, Dilworth, Southend, NODA, Central ave are charming places.....especially roads like Queens Road West. Downtown Charlotte is not charming as a whole but parts are. However, it is a great place to live, work and play.....especially with the new baseball stadium & park. So, I am not sure why you are trying to compare Charlotte with small metros, they are so different.
Charlotte is a NASCAR town. Always has been. Its the heart of NASCAR. Its a NASCAR town in the way Hollywood is a movie town. I'm not bashing it. Its just true. It is the global mecca of a sport and culture. That's not something to be ashamed of, not sure why you are so defensive about it.

I don't have a "fascination" with trying to classify Charlotte. If I did, I'd spend a lot of time on the Charlotte forum, which obviously I don't. You, however, have quite a fascination with Charleston. And Greenville lately. That's very clear.

And I wasn't trying to compare Charleston with Charlotte. If I was, I'd be on the Charlotte forum asking "Charleston vs Charlotte".

So, this whole recent trade began because I said Charlotte doesn't offer anything that I cant get in Greenville, Cola, or online. In context to retail. Sure, a NASCAR museum ticket? Nope. Some stuff is exclusive to a particular city. But then you said "in store only" stuff (specify?), and........well, a car repair shop. That's all you got?

But, I'm pretty sure I have you figured out. You don't live in NC, or Charlotte. You live somewhere rural in SC, near York or Cheraw or something. And you hate that your SC neighborhood is so overshadowed by other SC metros, so, you latch on to Charlotte to have something to make yourself feel better.

Otherwise, there is just no logical explanation on why a Charlotte, NC, resident would spend 99% of his time posting on South Carolina forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 01:06 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,005,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Ugh, that distresses me. I want to live in a small city and 1M? Ugh, ugh, ugh. Guess it's good I'm moving to the country, out near Meggett or Ravenel. Although who knows how long that will stay quiet. I lived in Atlanta before the huge boom and it wasn't too bad but you couldn't pay me to live there now. I really don't want to move. Charleston is my home but if it gets huge, I'm not going to be happy!
Well, I don't think Ravenel will ever be urban. Its pretty far out there, and the Charleston metro will always be concentrated around the peninsula and beaches. But as you said, who knows. But within 20 years, Im sure Meggett and Ravenel will be rural still.

I agree. Charleston has gotten a bit crowded for my tastes lately. All those Top 10 lists are nice and all, but all the attention has brought so many people with it.

I love Atlanta, and go fairly often, but after 3-4 days, I'm ready to leave. A major city is fun but then just gets too crowded, too much traffic.

I think most of the people coming in the next 10 years will be moving into the condos and apartments going up on the upper peninsula, near the Ashley river bridges, and in Mount Pleasant.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:48 AM

3,200 posts, read 3,893,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Charlotte is a NASCAR town. Always has been. Its the heart of NASCAR. Its a NASCAR town in the way Hollywood is a movie town. I'm not bashing it. Its just true. It is the global mecca of a sport and culture. That's not something to be ashamed of, not sure why you are so defensive about it.

I don't have a "fascination" with trying to classify Charlotte. If I did, I'd spend a lot of time on the Charlotte forum, which obviously I don't. You, however, have quite a fascination with Charleston. And Greenville lately. That's very clear.

And I wasn't trying to compare Charleston with Charlotte. If I was, I'd be on the Charlotte forum asking "Charleston vs Charlotte".

So, this whole recent trade began because I said Charlotte doesn't offer anything that I cant get in Greenville, Cola, or online. In context to retail. Sure, a NASCAR museum ticket? Nope. Some stuff is exclusive to a particular city. But then you said "in store only" stuff (specify?), and........well, a car repair shop. That's all you got?

But, I'm pretty sure I have you figured out. You don't live in NC, or Charlotte. You live somewhere rural in SC, near York or Cheraw or something. And you hate that your SC neighborhood is so overshadowed by other SC metros, so, you latch on to Charlotte to have something to make yourself feel better.

Otherwise, there is just no logical explanation on why a Charlotte, NC, resident would spend 99% of his time posting on South Carolina forums.
Not defensive about NASCAR, you are just wrong to claim the Charlotte has a NASCAR culture, that is just silly.

You said that Greenville and Charleston has anything that you could get in Charlotte. You threw in the online aspect to try and make your statement full proof. I used a few examples to show why you are wrong even with the internet thrown in. There are many more but it is not worth the time.

So, you have me figured out. Ok. That does not mean much coming from someone who lies about something so simple as where you went to college.

It's simple. The answer to your original thesis of you can get everything in Charleston that is available in Charlotte is completely wrong, same for Greenville.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
BTW rory, did you see today's paper about the peninsula in the "South" section? Says they expect to add 25,000 permanent residents within 15 years. I didn't realize this, but there was 70,000 residents there years ago, and now only 35,000 officially LIVE there, but it is far more crowded than before due to students, tourists and part-time residents. But, you've seen all the building just like I have, and the peninsula is booming.

The folks in the article said that the Charleston Metro, according to their internal numbers, will hit the 1,000,000 resident mark in 15 years....much earlier than others project. They say the recent years saw about 14,000 per year, and the metro officially has 725K now, so in 15 years, that will put it right around 1,000,000........and that's if the growth just stays steady with recent trends. Any boom like what Boeing provided would accelerate that. One example is the Cainhoy project. Basically empty rural land now, but they expect to put 40,000 people in the Cainhoy area within 10 years. Who knows what 10-15 years will mean.

That place is so crowded lately, but, its fun- I took a stroll all around The Market and King the other day, had a blast. Love the new Verde down there, best salad in town!

In case you missed it: Charleston planning for the peninsula to have another 25,000 residents – The Post and Courier
These numbers would include Boeing's effect. There other major driver is retirees.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:46 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,088,674 times
Quote:
These numbers would include Boeing's effect. There other major driver is retirees.
Do you have anyone to back up that Retirees make up a majority of Charleston growth?

Old 05-10-2014, 03:01 PM

10,644 posts, read 9,010,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Do you have anyone to back up that Retirees make up a majority of Charleston growth?
I looked up census demographics and retirees make up a very small percentage of Charleston's population. So no, I couldn't find anything that proved this.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2014 at 06:50 AM..

Old 05-10-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I looked up census demographics and retirees make up a very small percentage of Charleston's population. So no, I couldn't find anything that proved this.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Look at the growth composition of your population, between 2010 and 2012, The percentage population above 55 grew from 23.4% to 24.5% or almost a 5 % change in 2 years. At the same time, those in the 20-24 and 35-54 dropped. The percent of the population above 65 is 13.7% for Charleston County compared with 9.4% for Mecklenburg, 10.5% for Richland, 9.2% for Wake (Raleigh). So, Charleston county's above 65% is over 40% larger than a place like Meck, Richland or Wake. Not sure why this is a surprise. The problem as shown on CRDA's metrics is the drop in the 35-54 crowd, that is what you want to see growing for business recruitment.

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2014 at 06:52 AM..

Old 05-10-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Ha, well, if you want to get technical, sure.

- Can I find a Bank of America tower in Charleston if I wanted one?
- Can I find an NFL stadium in Charleston if I wanted one?
- Can I find a NASCAR museum in Charleston if I wanted one?

Fair enough. No, there are things in Charlotte that aren't in Charleston or Greenville. You could say the same for any 2 given cities in the world. There are things in Charleston you cannot get in Charlotte, too. But, weeks ago I made the point that is still valid: There is NOTHING in Charlotte that I cant get in Atlanta, and probably a better version of it too.

People who complain that they cant find enough retail in Charleston are probably the same folks that would pay 100K for a car, or NEED that special item at Tiffany's that is "in store only". Probably the SOB crowd. For normal folk, Greenville and Charleston offer everything you'd need. And for those of us who'd like to take a day trip for a "big city" day, Atlanta is the clear choice. It is a MAJOR city. Charlotte is kinda stuck in limbo. Not the charming mid-size metro that Greenville or Charleston is. But not big enough to be taken seriously as a "major" city either.

Shows? Concerts? Depends on the band or performance. Im sure Charlotte will send plenty of residents down here for the world-class Spoleto Festival coming up soon. And the North Charleston Coliseum and Family Circle Cup stadium can host anything. Just depends on which bands come and when. Obviously a bigger city will get the big events more often.

I talk about wealth a lot haha? Hardly. I defend Charleston to the attacks you put out against it. But to me, wealth is sometimes a fools comfort. The humility and perspective of a humble, but comfortable, life is the one I'd prefer.

And Charlotte is a NASCAR town. The culture there has changed the past 10 years or so to start becoming more diverse, maybe more "wordly". But auto-racing and the culture surrounding has traditionally been a reflection of that region as a whole. Nothing wrong with it. If you're a NASCAR fan, its heaven.
CD, just a question....you claim that you can get anything in Greenville or Charleston that you can in Charlotte, especially since you have the Internet. However, you also said that you can get things in Atlanta that can't be found in Charlotte? Explain what you mean because last I checked, we have the Internet as well, in fact, we are on the short list for Google fiber.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:03 PM

10,644 posts, read 9,010,311 times
Quote:
Look at the growth composition of your population, between 2010 and 2012, The percentage population above 55 grew from 23.4% to 24.5% or almost a 5 % change in 2 years. At the same time, those in the 20-24 and 35-54 dropped. The percent of the population above 65 is 13.7% for Charleston County compared with 9.4% for Mecklenburg, 10.5% for Richland, 9.2% for Wake (Raleigh). So, Charleston county's above 65% is over 40% larger than a place like Meck, Richland or Wake. Not sure why this is a surprise. The problem as shown on CRDA's metrics is the drop in the 35-54 crowd, that is what you want to see growing for business recruitment.
Link?

Old 05-10-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Link?
Charleston, SC Top Employers & Leading Employers - Charleston SC Employer Statistics

Metrics for eac county are from the census quick facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or