Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 09:47 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
He is going to argue until you quit. He never quits.
To each loser, their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 09:54 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
To each loser, their own.
This come from a guy who talks about shooting up a school and posts on average a 160 times per month.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:46 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
This come from a guy who talks about shooting up a school and posts on average a 160 times per month.
Is the reason your in the SC forums because you got kicked out of the NC forums?

Old 05-10-2014, 11:00 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,848 times
Quote:
Education........Meck is over 40% with a college degree, Charleston Co, 38%.

Government jobs are the largest segment of jobs for Charleston at 20.17% of the job total. The fastest growing job segment in Charleston is Education, another government entity. The next largest segment of the Charleston job market, Trade, Transport at 19%. It (Tech) .......it is 1.7% of the jobs in Charleston (Silicon Harbor?????).

Over 65......Charleston, Charleston Co is 13.7%, Meck is at 9.4%.

Income........Charleston is at $50k median, Meck is 12% higher at $56k.

Growth 2010 - 2013.....Charleston at 6.5% Meck at just under 8%.

Make your own conclusions as to what is driving Charleston. No one theme describes a city, there are always multiple stories that make up the economy of a place. CRDA has actually addressed the decrease of 35-54 YO workers, that is a problem. On the other hand, you are attracting the 20-24 year olds, you can decide if the are college drop outs or are college grads postponing reality.
Haha.....I'll do that. And you'll still be on this forum trying to rip on Charleston and Greenville, and pretending you live in Charlotte.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Is the reason your in the SC forums because you got kicked out of the NC forums?
Nope. Its because he lives in rural Lancaster or Cheraw. He hates that the 3 main SC metros get all the attention, so he latches to Charlotte to feel special.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:49 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Nope. Its because he lives in rural Lancaster or Cheraw. He hates that the 3 main SC metros get all the attention, so he latches to Charlotte to feel special.
If he lives in Kershaw county then it makes no since to latch onto Charlotte, Kershaw is part of the Columbia metro

Old 05-11-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny97 View Post
Cities are not competing with each other. This phony competition only exists in your guy's bizarro world.
Um...I kinda disagree. Cities are competing hard against each other for business and residents. We are seeing it here. Charleston, North Charleston and Mount Pleasant are competing hard against each other trying to lure the best business and best residents, and most tourists, to their municipalities. If a big business or job opportunity decides to move to or expand in SC, the cities will all compete for it.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 2,956 times
Well...cities do compete for jobs which is a good thing. I believe Jenny is referring to how this forum tends to go a little overboard in how competition is perceived. In here, the competition leans towards what city is better, bigger, and more popular. On the average, people do not contemplate these ideas. People live where they want because of the lifestyle that a particular area provides. Granted GSP101 ( I have nothing against you...because I don't know you at all) you do tend to go on and on about praising Charlotte, which is a North Carolina city, in efforts to put down all the South Carolina cities ( and I do believe you don't live there, but who cares). That's just a perception; but to each his own.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:00 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajones4 View Post
Well...cities do compete for jobs which is a good thing. I believe Jenny is referring to how this forum tends to go a little overboard in how competition is perceived. In here, the competition leans towards what city is better, bigger, and more popular. On the average, people do not contemplate these ideas. People live where they want because of the lifestyle that a particular area provides. Granted GSP101 ( I have nothing against you...because I don't know you at all) you do tend to go on and on about praising Charlotte, which is a North Carolina city, in efforts to put down all the South Carolina cities ( and I do believe you don't live there, but who cares). That's just a perception; but to each his own.
Carolina, I do think Charlotte has done well. But, that does not mean it does not have challenges.....transit/transportation is and will continue to be an issue. The region needs to remain relevant and expand into areas where we have been weaker. This goes back some pages but it is why I think SC should expand recruiting efforts in the SC counties for companies that will overlook the state (like a Toyota project). The city is struggling with leaders in Raleigh which is surprising because they are from Charlotte. There are other problems but that is a NC thing.

As for the SC cities, I actually don't mind the cities, I like Columbia ( a very untapped market) I am from the upstate and I like to visit Charleston. But, some folks use surface metrics and magazine articles as a basis for claiming that Charleston is equal to London and Greenville is the fastest growing part of SC none of which is true. When I say that, aside from the personal remarks, folks like CD start trashing Charlotte. I defend it and it has the metrics/economy/livability that makes it easy to defend. But, Charleston will lead SC Based metros in growth for the foreseeable future as Boeing continues to expand and retirees move in. It was said earlier and is true that the area, along with Columbia and Greenville will have 1m residents in the metro within 2 decades. As this happens, it will get some things that are not present today. Columbia gets overlooked but has done well, keeps expanding IT functions (IBM & Fluor are on the way to compliment the finance sector/AFLAC and seems to be embracing the university as an asset rather than a lability.....and has a sizable amount of wealth, Greenville is also attracting retirees (over 65 crowd is similar to Charleston) and keeps attracting manufacturing operations. So, SC cities will continue to grow.

I am disappointed at how this thread has evolved. I thought it was a slam dunk to recruit companies to the Charlotte counties that would otherwise not consider SC, a no brainer for SC. I still think that is a benefit for SC. But, others had different ideas and it went south fast, a lot of it had to do with attacking me rather than the actual message. And that's ok, it is the Internet.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Carolina, I do think Charlotte has done well. But, that does not mean it does not have challenges.....transit/transportation is and will continue to be an issue. The region needs to remain relevant and expand into areas where we have been weaker. This goes back some pages but it is why I think SC should expand recruiting efforts in the SC counties for companies that will overlook the state (like a Toyota project). The city is struggling with leaders in Raleigh which is surprising because they are from Charlotte. There are other problems but that is a NC thing.

As for the SC cities, I actually don't mind the cities, I like Columbia ( a very untapped market) I am from the upstate and I like to visit Charleston. But, some folks use surface metrics and magazine articles as a basis for claiming that Charleston is equal to London and Greenville is the fastest growing part of SC none of which is true. When I say that, aside from the personal remarks, folks like CD start trashing Charlotte. I defend it and it has the metrics/economy/livability that makes it easy to defend. But, Charleston will lead SC Based metros in growth for the foreseeable future as Boeing continues to expand and retirees move in. It was said earlier and is true that the area, along with Columbia and Greenville will have 1m residents in the metro within 2 decades. As this happens, it will get some things that are not present today. Columbia gets overlooked but has done well, keeps expanding IT functions (IBM & Fluor are on the way to compliment the finance sector/AFLAC and seems to be embracing the university as an asset rather than a lability.....and has a sizable amount of wealth, Greenville is also attracting retirees (over 65 crowd is similar to Charleston) and keeps attracting manufacturing operations. So, SC cities will continue to grow.

I am disappointed at how this thread has evolved. I thought it was a slam dunk to recruit companies to the Charlotte counties that would otherwise not consider SC, a no brainer for SC. I still think that is a benefit for SC. But, others had different ideas and it went south fast, a lot of it had to do with attacking me rather than the actual message. And that's ok, it is the Internet.
Haha, I never "trashed" Charlotte. You do that to Charleston...by saying things like its a city full of college dropouts working for tips. I don't make comments like that. I make comments about what I like or don't like about Charlotte, but I don't trash it like you do other places, Charleston in particular.

Your original point was addressed early and often, and it still boils down to a couple easy things:

1) Most SC representatives are from the 3 main metros in SC, and thus, they work to push those areas.
2) Businesses do their own research. There isn't a single thing some politician or Chamber of Commerce member can tell a company like Toyota....that Toyota's own internal researchers don't know already.

That's it. Your question was answered. And then you got upset and started attacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina