U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-14-2014, 08:17 AM
 
4,538 posts, read 6,378,575 times
Reputation: 1640

Advertisements

Smh. Why are you guys still arguing with this person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2014, 01:31 PM
 
29,771 posts, read 27,202,592 times
Reputation: 18317
Toyota officials paid secret visit to Charlotte before sending headquarters, 4,000 jobs, to Texas | CharlotteObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2014, 04:45 PM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,006,386 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Let me get this straight, you said that the state should focus on Greenville charleston and Columbia and now you are saying that you are sure that the gov talked with TM? Interesting, before you said the state should not do anything and waste time, now you are sure she called. Which is it? Because, I believe that is recruiting a company and is exactly what I have been saying for pages. The difference is that you think charleston should get anything that comes to SC because there are nice views over the IOP connector.

Now, TM did select Texas but based on your argument of not bothering (I am glad Haley did talk to them as you said), then you lost the project because you did not try. And, in the process, you lost 4k jobs.

Are you really asking if a manufacturing operation is looked at differently than a HQ operation? Really? If you don't know, then i am not surprised at the lack of understanding you have for any of this.
Yeah, I'm sure they gave TM a phone call. That's probably about it. They knew TM wasn't coming to SC...any part of it. But, hey, just like the NFL draft, I'm sure they made a phone call just to test the waters. Besides....Charlotte and NC were doing all the heavy lifting, so if they were coming to York, NC tax payers were doing all the hard work ahead of time.


YOU are saying we should've spent a half million dollar to form a committee and send a recruiting team after them. Kinda like if Furman University sent it's whole football staff to recruit the #1 HS recruit in the nation. Aint happening. BUT, if the kid were from Greenville, I bet they'd give him a phone call just for the hell of it.

I don't think Charleston should get everything. In fact, I'm glad Charleston doesn't. Some things are BETTER for SC if they are located somewhere other than Charleston. BMW for example. USC for another.

SC didn't "lose" anything. TM was never coming to SC. Seems only YOU don't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2014, 04:48 PM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,006,386 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
You're right, Columbia is not attracting retirees like the others. But, it is growing as fast as the others Except Charleston. Of course, if you went to the University of Sac, you would know that....Coastal is a bit removed.
Haha....you are so predictable. Your new theme is that Charleston is nothing but a town of retirees. Guess that's better than your last them, that it was just a bunch of college dropouts working for tips. And then just a bunch of government workers.

Who knows...maybe next time I go out for a beer, I'll get an 80 year old retired govt employee who was a college dropout serving me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2014, 05:15 PM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,006,386 times
Reputation: 865
Hmmmm.......Lancaster County, SC, lures Red Ventures away from NC - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Seems like SC....DOES in fact pay attention and recruit business to the SC counties just below the border. This one is a bit of an old story, but, former Gov Sanford did just that.

So....GSP...it looks like you were wrong. SC does in fact recruit companies to the Lancaster/York/Chester area.

You seem to just be mad that they didn't do a full court press on Toyota. When, in reality, I'd bet the SC folks just knew that in the end, Toyota wasn't coming to Charlotte, or SC.

WE do a lot of things in SC that I wish we did different. But, I think we have some good folks making decisions regarding business locating here. When a good opportunity shows itself, SC jumps on it. But, we also have no desire to turn any of our 3 metros into the next Charlotte or Jacksonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2014, 08:03 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,894,962 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Hmmmm.......Lancaster County, SC, lures Red Ventures away from NC - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Seems like SC....DOES in fact pay attention and recruit business to the SC counties just below the border. This one is a bit of an old story, but, former Gov Sanford did just that.

So....GSP...it looks like you were wrong. SC does in fact recruit companies to the Lancaster/York/Chester area.

You seem to just be mad that they didn't do a full court press on Toyota. When, in reality, I'd bet the SC folks just knew that in the end, Toyota wasn't coming to Charlotte, or SC.

WE do a lot of things in SC that I wish we did different. But, I think we have some good folks making decisions regarding business locating here. When a good opportunity shows itself, SC jumps on it. But, we also have no desire to turn any of our 3 metros into the next Charlotte or Jacksonville.
SC would do well to have a metro based in SC like Charlotte...a large financial center, an energy center, a high growth area, a true international airport with over 700 fights, at least 7 fortune 500 company headquarters including Lowes, Duke, & BofA. The entire state of SC has 1. Your own thread is full of people, including ROry, that write they have to go to Charlotte for big name performances, retail, sporting events etc.... Like I have said, you have this T Rav view of Charleston that is not reality and seem to look down on Charlotte for some strange reason. Problem is, you don't understand enough to make educated statements.

That is old......we talked about luring Charlotte companies across the line pages ago, Red Ventures has been mentioned and just announced the addition of roughly 600 jobs in the university area of Charlotte. You are good at surfing the net, you just don't understand what you read. And, that is not a long term strategy. In time, to continue developing this area, organic companies and relos will be required. Hence, the biggest part of this thread, SC would be well served by spending some money to recruit companies that are skipping the state because Charleston & Greenville are not marketable. You won't understand but the payback/ROI would be enormous from a financial perspective.

Couple of interesting comments that you have made....

Lets start with companies and how they recruit. You have said many times that companies know a lot about where they want to locate because of internal research. Wrong. Companies work with consultants to merger their requirements with suitable sites. The consultants work with governmental development agencies like the commerce department to understand what is available in each state.

You stated that companies building an office or manufacturing facility look for the same metrics....wrong again. Manufacturing looks for suitable sites with available labor, energy, rail, interstate, air and in some cases a port close by. Office, they look for a deep labor force (one different from manufacturing), air service, amenities, educational facilities and a host of other items specific to the corporation.

You don't understand that TM is an EXAMPLE of why SC needs to beef up recruiting in SC. This company would not even look at Greenville or Charleston, there is simply not a deep enough workforce to fill out 4k corporate jobs. And, the notion of build it and they will come is not helpful for a company that has to maintain operational efficiency when they move. If SC wants to land companies like this, they need to recruit the area around Charlotte, it is that simple. If the state wants to ignore these areas, let them move into NC. You collect taxes from these folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2014, 08:04 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,894,962 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Haha....you are so predictable. Your new theme is that Charleston is nothing but a town of retirees. Guess that's better than your last them, that it was just a bunch of college dropouts working for tips. And then just a bunch of government workers.

Who knows...maybe next time I go out for a beer, I'll get an 80 year old retired govt employee who was a college dropout serving me
That would not surprise me, after all the over 55 crowd is the fastest growing part of Charleston's population.

As for the government, it is the largest segment of your workforce.

I was just curious why you segregated out Columbia. Do you think it is a third rate city in SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2014, 08:27 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,576 times
Reputation: 10
Why are y'all still arguing this ridiculous topic? Let it go!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 03:25 AM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,006,386 times
Reputation: 865
GSP, the root point is.....most folks in SC's 3 main metro areas, DONT wanna be like Charlotte. We don't want our city taken over by massive corporations. We like our cities how they are, the cultures that each one has, the "feel" each one has.

We don't wanna be like Charlotte. Its just that simple. And we love it that way.

And no, I don't find Columbia to be third rate at all. Its just different from Greenville and Charleston...and both of those are unique from each other as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 06:33 AM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,894,962 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
GSP, the root point is.....most folks in SC's 3 main metro areas, DONT wanna be like Charlotte. We don't want our city taken over by massive corporations. We like our cities how they are, the cultures that each one has, the "feel" each one has.

We don't wanna be like Charlotte. Its just that simple. And we love it that way.

And no, I don't find Columbia to be third rate at all. Its just different from Greenville and Charleston...and both of those are unique from each other as well.
So, why all the talk about growth in Charleston? Boeing? Silicon Harbor?Why are you on Charlotte threads bragging about transplants (which is funny).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top