U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 PM
 
2,011 posts, read 2,096,807 times
Reputation: 402

Advertisements

HWY 17? It goes through mostly underpopulated areas but even so is 4 lanes, at least, all through the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2014, 04:20 PM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,009,896 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Highrise buildings are not bad, depends on the setting. Downtown Charleston is not a place for them, it would ruin the tourism industry.

But, I don't see the SC cities managing growth that well, the rates of growth are not leading the country....Charleston is not doing bad. The cities have done well at making small downtowns nice. Outside of that, roads like Haywood, Laurens, Woodruff, Hwy 17 and others point to a lack of planning. But, what one perceives as managed growth, others see as slow growth.

You are right about Haley, a gun manufacturing plant would be cause for a huge celebration by her camp.
No, they aren't bad just by being a tall building. There is a place for them, and places they are NOT meant to be. Yes, downtown Charleston isn't the place. You're right. Where is? I think Mount Pleasant is missing an opportunity at the other side of the Ravenel Bridge. They already have a few clusters of buildings that are 6-8 story range on the water and lots of hotels, and they're planning huge development on the remaining land there. IF they wanted to build some taller office buildings to attract a company who may want that, then that's a perfect spot for it. But, the people of Mt P don't want that, and that's their right. The only other place I'd say it would fit is in North Charleston around the airport. That areas is booming, and isn't historically significant.

The Upper King Street area downtown is booming also, and they're pushing the height restrictions, and word is the mayor is exempting a lot of future buildings that want to build there to go over that limit. Not sure that's a good idea.


You said the rates of growth "are not leading the country"??? Horry County, Charleston County, Beaufort County are the 3 fastest growing counties/or/metro areas on the East Coast!! Cant remember if it was the county or metro area, but, the article was posted on this forum.

As for Haley, I don't have a problem with a gun manufacturing plant. I just don't think she should run on a platform of brining in all these jobs....when most are bottom level labor/wage jobs. She could run on slashing budgets of governments in South Carolina (the state one, and all the aid the state gave to locals). She has done that........often to disasterous consequences. But hey, they spend less for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,632 posts, read 13,784,128 times
Reputation: 2087
I think Rock Hill is doing fine.

American FactFinder - Results *
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2014, 01:53 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,901,139 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I think Rock Hill is doing fine.

American FactFinder - Results *
Rock Hill does well, that is true. But, the point was that SC could attract a different type of organization that will not consider cities like Greenville or Charleston. The payback to the state for investing in this type of development would be enormous financially and not measurable from an image perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2014, 04:34 PM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,009,896 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Rock Hill does well, that is true. But, the point was that SC could attract a different type of organization that will not consider cities like Greenville or Charleston. The payback to the state for investing in this type of development would be enormous financially and not measurable from an image perspective.


You just don't get it.

If that company wont consider Greenville, Columbia, or Charleston.......what makes you think they would consider York?

Oh, because its close to Charlotte? Mmmkay. If they are considering Charlotte, they already have their own people researching the area, and they'll see York. Hint: York is included on all the maps...even the ones with Charlotte.

We see the point you're trying to make.....its just a point that is irrelevant and wrong. SC has a limited budget. Why spend a ton of money recruiting a business to York, when Charlotte and NC are already recruiting business to their area......and if that business is interested, its inevitable that the corporation's in-house researches will look at neighboring counties.


As for "image" of SC...I think the nation's 11th fastest growing state, home of the 3 fastest growing metro areas on the East Coast, and two of the most popular mid size cities in the South (one in the world)......is doing just fine.....even without a big ole Toyota warehouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2014, 05:23 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,901,139 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post


You just don't get it.

If that company wont consider Greenville, Columbia, or Charleston.......what makes you think they would consider York?

Oh, because its close to Charlotte? Mmmkay. If they are considering Charlotte, they already have their own people researching the area, and they'll see York. Hint: York is included on all the maps...even the ones with Charlotte.

We see the point you're trying to make.....its just a point that is irrelevant and wrong. SC has a limited budget. Why spend a ton of money recruiting a business to York, when Charlotte and NC are already recruiting business to their area......and if that business is interested, its inevitable that the corporation's in-house researches will look at neighboring counties.


As for "image" of SC...I think the nation's 11th fastest growing state, home of the 3 fastest growing metro areas on the East Coast, and two of the most popular mid size cities in the South (one in the world)......is doing just fine.....even without a big ole Toyota warehouse.
Actually, you are wrong. You just don't know enough to understand. There are many many companies that will not consider places because of a number of reasons, one being the ability to attract a qualified workforce or a large airport. Does Greenville or Charleston have the ability to support an operation like Toyota's 4k person US HQ? The sort answer is no. Neither city has the ability to fully staff an operation of that size or has an airport large enough to even consider the areas. The ONLY Place in SC that would meet those requirements is York County. And, for the last time, companies use many people to research sites, mostly external resource to consolidate data and present the information. State chambers, departments of commerce etc.....work with these advisors to provide data. Again, companies work with external consultants to perform site research, not sure it is a full time job to staff a department to research HQ sites that happens once in 25 years.......does that make sense, I am not sure how much clearer that can be. The state works with these consultants to pitch site that may meet the corp's requirements.......is that hard to understand? Honestly, I was surprised that TM considered metro Charlotte, we have not been on those project lists, they typically look at larger areas like where they went, DFW. If you weren't so interested in making Charleston out to be Paris or SFO, you may get it.

As for SC, I think Charleston will grow for a while but places like Charlotte and Raleigh have been growing at those rates or better for a long time. For instance, Charlotte has grown 35% since 2000, Charleston has done well at 29%. Raleigh...52%. So, yes, if you look at short term windows, you may see variation, looking long term is a better indicator. Again, Charleston will continue to grow fast, just not at the levels of other areas. As for states, NC is growing faster than SC. Here is some materials that shows just that. Not sure I see a SC city in any of these lists.


Austin or Bust: America's Biggest Cities Lose People to the Urban B-List - Businessweek

The Best Cities For Jobs 2014 - Forbes

Phoenix - 10 fastest growing cities - CNNMoney

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/rele...2013tables.pdf

The Top 12 American Boomtowns: Fastest Growing Metropolitan Areas* - Bloomberg

Popularity......not sure I agree but assuming your're right, great. Who cares. New Orleans is popular, has great restaurants, history and I would not live there for a 1,000 reasons. Tehran is popular and known worldwide, want to move there? Besides, if Charleston was so widely known, why are articles on the national news still using the state designator after the city's name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2014, 05:35 PM
 
119 posts, read 186,612 times
Reputation: 27
Most of SC isn't that far from Charlotte's airport. It isn't necessary to live 15 minutes from it for the occasionali flight.

I think all the SC airports will be expanded in the next 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2014, 05:55 PM
 
2,011 posts, read 2,096,807 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale7 View Post
Most of SC isn't that far from Charlotte's airport. It isn't necessary to live 15 minutes from it for the occasionali flight.

I think all the SC airports will be expanded in the next 10 years.
The airport is one of the bad things about Charleston, currently our airport has 2 run ways but we share the airport with an air force base so both aren't always available to civilians. I also don't there is enough room in the area for another runway but i could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2014, 06:00 PM
 
119 posts, read 186,612 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
The airport is one of the bad things about Charleston, currently our airport has 2 run ways but we share the airport with an air force base so both aren't always available to civilians. I also don't there is enough room in the area for another runway but i could be wrong.
Really? It seemed like a pretty nice facility when I lived down there.

If Charleston keeps growing at this rapid pace, there will likely be another airport constructed in the area at some point if they can't expand that one.e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2014, 06:00 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,901,139 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
The airport is one of the bad things about Charleston, currently our airport has 2 run ways but we share the airport with an air force base so both aren't always available to civilians. I also don't there is enough room in the area for another runway but i could be wrong.
And, I doubt many in Charleston drive to Charlotte unless it is an international flight. Could be wrong but 180 miles is a long drive to catch a flight to Dallas. Greenville & Columbia certainly use CLT which holds their airports back a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top