Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
That's what I was thinking, advanced manufacturing in the southern parts of these counties makes a lot of sense. I am not sure if there is a super site down there but it would be a good location for a second SC auto plant.
I heard something about a super site in Chester County, which is news to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 09:35 PM

12,903 posts, read 18,756,320 times
So I want to know. When a company comes to York County because it's in the Charlotte area, does York County go on and on about itself? IMO since the topic of Charlotte's growth is related to South Carolina only in York and Lancaster counties, the topic should be discussed in that thread, which I've never visited. Sorry. Also, I just can't get into Charlotte.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 04-16-2014 at 09:47 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 06:31 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
So I want to know. When a company comes to York County because it's in the Charlotte area, does York County go on and on about itself? IMO since the topic of Charlotte's growth is related to South Carolina only in York and Lancaster counties, the topic should be discussed in that thread, which I've never visited. Sorry. Also, I just can't get into Charlotte.
Cdata, if the topic stayed on course, I would agree that the thread could be moved to the York folder. However, the topic has been more about development efforts by the state so I think it is appropriate to stay here. Yac may think otherwise. But, it is important how the state recruits industry which is why I raised the question. SC has been fortunate to land two large scale manufacturing operations with strong multipliers. In spite of that, there are opportunities in other sectors that would be good for the state to recruit. Financial companies have been moving folks out of the northeast for cost reasons. They would be obvious targets for the York area with the strong ties to Charlotte. Citi, JPM, Fidelity, and many others have relocated many positions to the south and west, It would be a good opportunity for the state. A lot of the state's growth has been retiree skewed, especially on the coast. While it drives surface growth numbers, these folks pay little in taxes and are not key to Long term economic success. Attracting higher impact positions in finance, insurance and other similar industries attracts a younger workforce which the state could use.

As a side note, Thanks for sharing your opinion about Charlotte without being a total idiot about it. I know the city is not for everyone but Some on here are completely oblivious about what the city is and post a lot of ignorant material.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:52 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,032 times
Quote:
Cdata, if the topic stayed on course, I would agree that the thread could be moved to the York folder. However, the topic has been more about development efforts by the state so I think it is appropriate to stay here. Yac may think otherwise. But, it is important how the state recruits industry which is why I raised the question. SC has been fortunate to land two large scale manufacturing operations with strong multipliers. In spite of that, there are opportunities in other sectors that would be good for the state to recruit. Financial companies have been moving folks out of the northeast for cost reasons. They would be obvious targets for the York area with the strong ties to Charlotte. Citi, JPM, Fidelity, and many others have relocated many positions to the south and west, It would be a good opportunity for the state. A lot of the state's growth has been retiree skewed, especially on the coast. While it drives surface growth numbers, these folks pay little in taxes and are not key to Long term economic success. Attracting higher impact positions in finance, insurance and other similar industries attracts a younger workforce which the state could use.

As a side note, Thanks for sharing your opinion about Charlotte without being a total idiot about it. I know the city is not for everyone but Some on here are completely oblivious about what the city is and post a lot of ignorant material.
Your thread was to point out what you thought was a LACK of development efforts by the state. Or, in simple terms: You wondered why isn't SC kissing the ring of Charlotte and saying to companies "Hey, move to York, don't you realize how close to Charlotte it is!!??"

Im assuming major companies like Fidelity, Citi, etc, have their own groups of researches who look into potential markets for relocating. And I'm no genius, but I'd assume companies who are built on profit...would look into what areas surround a core city, and where it would be most cost beneficial to locate. So there is no reason for South Carolina to push it's limited money into a PR campaign for York....when those companies are already looking into all that stuff.

There isn't any group in the SC government or any chamber of commerce who will convince a major company like that to move to York, unless that company has ALREADY done the research and wants to move to York.

I personally don't want our tax money going to wine and dine some company CEO's just to try to beg them to make a decision.......that they've already made based on their own research behind closed doors.

Our state should focus it's efforts on Greenville, Columbia, Charleston. York will benefit from Charlotte's folks promoting the city. Let the NC folks pay for that promotion of the Charlotte region, and York will reap some benefits.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I heard something about a super site in Chester County, which is news to me.
It surprised me as well to see a super site. The literature has it on rail, close to I77, 1,100 acres,
and 35 miles south of Charlotte Douglas.

How is the commerce department structured? Are they organized to recruit by industry or just overall?

Old 04-17-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
It surprised me as well to see a super site. The literature has it on rail, close to I77, 1,100 acres,
and 35 miles south of Charlotte Douglas.

How is the commerce department structured? Are they organized to recruit by industry or just overall?
I really don't know, but I'd imagine that they focus heavily on the automotive and aviation industries and associated suppliers. I don't know if the state commerce department had a significant role in the more professional, office jobs that have made announcements in SC outside of the Charlotte 'burbs in recent years.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I really don't know, but I'd imagine that they focus heavily on the automotive and aviation industries and associated suppliers. I don't know if the state commerce department had a significant role in the more professional, office jobs that have made announcements in SC outside of the Charlotte 'burbs in recent years.
I can't make out the structure looking at the commerce website. Some other departments are functionally aligned and some are aligned by target industry, just can determine how SC operates. There are many agency heads of things like small business, international, research, grants, innovation, legal etc......I suppose they have strong contacts with a lot of the site selection agencies and then work from there on leads.

I do like their data page, it seems to be somewhat up to date and includes metro Charlotte & Augusta in the statistics for SC (a little surprised to see how much York is growing, it has already passed their 2015 assumptions at a 40%+ growth rate). That is good to see from a business standpoint. Maybe I am being to critical and they are selling York, Lancaster & Chester to outside companies.

Although LPL is would just move across the line, this may help the state recruit more top financial companies to the area.

Here is the abbreviated story on LPL......the roughly 15 story building will look nice on I77 if they leave Charlotte.
SC incentives could lure LPL Financial to Fort Mill - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 04-19-2014, 10:09 PM

354 posts, read 627,594 times
Look if yall gonna be mentioning Charlotte yall better mention Raleigh as well.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
Look if yall gonna be mentioning Charlotte yall better mention Raleigh as well.
For what? Charlotte is being mentioned because its metro area includes three SC counties, one of which is the second largest county in the MSA. Raleigh's metro doesn't extend into SC so it's irrelevant here.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:30 PM

354 posts, read 627,594 times
Quote:
For what? Charlotte is being mentioned because its metro area includes three SC counties, one of which is the second largest county in the MSA. Raleigh's metro doesn't extend into SC so it's irrelevant here.
Mutiny77 U IS RIGHT HONEY. I AINT REALIZE IT UNTIL AFTER THE FACT LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina