U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 03:12 PM

724 posts, read 1,127,650 times

Advertisements

We moved to Aiken, SC from Evans, GA when I was a small kid. I've also lived in North Augusta, SC. When it takes you over 25-30 minutes to go 4 miles, I find that ridiculous. This is a very common situation in Lexington. And it's not just commuter times either. It happens at 7 pm quite a bit. Everything here is basically on a couple of highways and is poorly planned. It grew too big too fast, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 11:18 PM

4,848 posts, read 3,615,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTy View Post
I suspect the Goose Creek houses have come down quite a bit especially since the custom home expansions in Mt Pleasant and Dorchester Rd part of North Charleston during the early 2000s. Check out Crowfield in Goose creek. Don't you go past the 176 & 52 intersection
Goose Creek and Sumerville are up almost 8% in prices this year as compared to Mt. Pleasant which is experiencing an 11% growth. So they are up, just not at the same rate that Mt. Pleasant is growing.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:40 AM

77 posts, read 85,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
OP, for what it's worth, traffic in and around the Columbia market (including Lexington) is somewhat similar to the Madison area if you've driven down there at all. Madison's south beltline at rush hour reminds me of hwy 26 into and out of Columbia, same can be said for 378 around Lexington. For someone used to here, it can seem bad. For someone who's from a large metro area or has driven in big city backups (for me that means Chicago, the Twin cities, perhaps even Milwaukee) then it's not bad.
Not saying one point of view is correct over the other, it's just how one perceives it. And it depends on how many miles the congestion is packed into. Lexington to downtown Columbia may be 12-15 miles, i'd bet you've been on 41 in winter anywhere along the fox valley area where traffic and weather conditions had you stopped for longer stretches then that (only for reference).

Now i wont defend Lexington itself (or put it down) as I live on the other side of the lake, but we did go there enough to have an idea if we wanted to live there or not. Just wasnt what we wanted, but it is for plenty of others.
I've been doing some reading and I think I really like Lexington. The downtown actually looks more like a big city which appeals to me because I went from one extreme to the other so something in the middle would be very nice and from what I can see Lexington is just that. Definitely larger than the Fox Cities right? I'm familiar with Madison (not as frequent) and Milwaukee traffic which is nothing at all to me, Chicago traffic is something I'd NEVER want to deal with on a regular basis so as long as its nothing that hectic I think we'll be fine. Thanks for your help! I'm going to post in there section now to get more info on communities and what not

Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 AM

Too bad you're probably looking for more than a townhouse in Lexington. We are desperate to sell and get out of here. Good luck on your move.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:27 PM

5,708 posts, read 3,204,036 times
I love Beaufort, SC. Unfortunately, we are leaving soon and moving to Appleton, WI! (I lived in Fond du Lac for decades.)

Mt. Pleasant is also really nice, in my opinion. I am heartbroken to be leaving SC. Best of luck to you wherever you end up. I think you'll like it down here.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
We moved to Aiken, SC from Evans, GA when I was a small kid. I've also lived in North Augusta, SC. When it takes you over 25-30 minutes to go 4 miles, I find that ridiculous. This is a very common situation in Lexington. And it's not just commuter times either. It happens at 7 pm quite a bit. Everything here is basically on a couple of highways and is poorly planned. It grew too big too fast, in my opinion.

Ahh yes I can see that getting frustrating. I'll have to pay attention to that when I come down to scout. Is there anywhere close by that you wouldn't have that issue or be able to avoid it? I actually just talked to a friend whos moving to Aiken soon and that seems like a nice place too but maybe a little more rural than Lexington. Is that correct?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I love Beaufort, SC. Unfortunately, we are leaving soon and moving to Appleton, WI! (I lived in Fond du Lac for decades.)

Mt. Pleasant is also really nice, in my opinion. I am heartbroken to be leaving SC. Best of luck to you wherever you end up. I think you'll like it down here.
Funny how things work. I looked up Beaufort. I was originally looking in areas closer to the coast and even Mt Pleasant but Mt Pleasant seems a little pricey and over that way looks a little more "historical". Would you agree? I really wouldn't mind Appleton or WI in general if it wasn't for the weather. My kids have made friends, done great in school and I've had a much easier time obtaining jobs and living in a safe neighborhood than back home in Ft Lauderdale but this 3rd winter just kicked my butt. Our goal is to find something similar with better weather.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:32 AM

4,848 posts, read 3,615,912 times
Beaufort is a wonderful coastal SC town, if you like Beaufort you will like Bluffton. Also, try Edisto Beach, Hollywood, and McClellanville. All of the mentioned areas have not had the cost of living hikes that you tend to see in Mt. Pleasant and Hilton Head.

Beaufort will be the most expensive of the towns I listed. Good luck on your search!

Old 04-21-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
Too bad you're probably looking for more than a townhouse in Lexington. We are desperate to sell and get out of here. Good luck on your move.
I wouldn't mind a townhouse at all but I'm looking to rent for sure. Id like to feel out the area before I buy anything.

Last edited by drea84; 04-21-2014 at 09:00 AM..

Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drea84 View Post
Ahh yes I can see that getting frustrating. I'll have to pay attention to that when I come down to scout. Is there anywhere close by that you wouldn't have that issue or be able to avoid it? I actually just talked to a friend whos moving to Aiken soon and that seems like a nice place too but maybe a little more rural than Lexington. Is that correct?

Aiken is a nicer place than Lexington. It also has a larger population in town limits. However, it comes across as smaller because it is a good 25-30 minutes removed from Augusta and the area between the 2 isn't as dense or built up whereas Lexington is much closer to Columbia and it is all developed. Aiken is a stand alone town, whereas Lexington has become an extension of Columbia. People in Aiken are friendlier than Lexington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina