U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2014, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Greer
1,608 posts, read 2,019,819 times
Reputation: 1115

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
What do you mean by "developed"? New Jersey is the most densely populated state. Are you suggesting only 35% of the land is used by people?
I don't know about 65%, but a lot of southern New Jersey is the Pine Barrens. Much of northwestern and southern New Jersey is farmland.

The developed portions of New Jersey are really developed, which gives it its Most Densely Populated status. But there is a surprising amount of undeveloped land for such a densely populated state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2014, 08:34 AM
 
29,737 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Reputation: 18269
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
Who keeps getting banned not me is it???
No, he mistook you for someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2014, 11:32 AM
 
1,912 posts, read 2,005,114 times
Reputation: 865
Depends what you mean by "urban".

If you mean multiple 40+ story skyscrapers with a subway system all crammed into a massive city area, then no. No where in SC is that.

If you mean a core urban area with business, shopping, restaurants, etc, and a mix of bikes, cabs, commuters, buses, etc, surrounded by busy, growing suburbs, then yeah, Greenville, Charleston, Columbia are all that.

Myrtle Beach has an urban coastal area, especially when its tourist season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2014, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Meggett, SC
10,644 posts, read 9,009,064 times
Reputation: 5917
This is information available from the census. South Carolina's population from 2010 numbers is 66.3% urban and 33.7% rural. Average in the United States is 79% urban and 21% rural. South Carolina falls about 13th in the nation for having a rural population. So fairly rural, yes.

South Carolina Statistical Abstract : Population
South Carolina Community Profile: Demographics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2014, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,510 posts, read 9,004,811 times
Reputation: 4995
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I don't know about 65%, but a lot of southern New Jersey is the Pine Barrens. Much of northwestern and southern New Jersey is farmland.

The developed portions of New Jersey are really developed, which gives it its Most Densely Populated status. But there is a surprising amount of undeveloped land for such a densely populated state.
That is surprising. I've never been through New Jersey, I just imagined it all to look like a min-New York with lots of suburbs and subdivisions along the outskirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2014, 04:37 PM
 
4,537 posts, read 6,372,489 times
Reputation: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
This is information available from the census. South Carolina's population from 2010 numbers is 66.3% urban and 33.7% rural. Average in the United States is 79% urban and 21% rural. South Carolina falls about 13th in the nation for having a rural population. So fairly rural, yes.

South Carolina Statistical Abstract : Population
South Carolina Community Profile: Demographics
This is changing quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2014, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Meggett, SC
10,644 posts, read 9,009,064 times
Reputation: 5917
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
This is changing quickly.
Well, my first link shows the progression in the changing demographic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2014, 05:08 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,892,668 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
This is changing quickly.
It is changing.....I would not use the word quickly but it is changing. The question is what can seed up the process without padding population numbers with retirees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2014, 07:23 PM
 
4,537 posts, read 6,372,489 times
Reputation: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
It is changing.....I would not use the word quickly but it is changing. The question is what can seed up the process without padding population numbers with retirees?
I will. Just because it isn't the fastest growing, or isn't faster than what you're comparing it to doesn't mean it isn't growing quickly. It's pretty subjective. I think it's changing quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:00 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top