U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 3,514 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to SC or NC next year, we have a 17 year old and a 11 year old. We have only been to Myrtle beach but we do not want to live there. My son will be going to college by then, so a good college would be nice. We are thinking of renting a home for a year then purchase. We currently live in CT and own a home here. I am finishing my bachelors in education to become a Spanish Teacher. We are both very hard workers. It would be nice if the are had some diversity. I was born in New York and I am hispanic. We would like to live in the suburbs and hopefully eventually purchase where homes are not one next to the other and there is plenty of land at least 1 acre. We are looking for a change and this is a big move for us. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 07:09 AM

11,230 posts, read 19,683,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocating to SC or NC View Post
It would be nice if the are had some diversity. I was born in New York and I am hispanic. We would like to live in the suburbs and hopefully eventually purchase where homes are not one next to the other and there is plenty of land at least 1 acre. We are looking for a change and this is a big move for us. Help!
Charleston and Columbia will both give you access to colleges. Columbia has a slightly higher pertcentage hispanic population, but Charleston probably has people from out-of-state. In either, you can find homes with land out in the suburbs.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:44 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,897,099 times
Quote:
My husband and I are thinking of relocating to SC or NC next year, we have a 17 year old and a 11 year old. We have only been to Myrtle beach but we do not want to live there. My son will be going to college by then, so a good college would be nice. We are thinking of renting a home for a year then purchase. We currently live in CT and own a home here. I am finishing my bachelors in education to become a Spanish Teacher. We are both very hard workers. It would be nice if the are had some diversity. I was born in New York and I am hispanic. We would like to live in the suburbs and hopefully eventually purchase where homes are not one next to the other and there is plenty of land at least 1 acre. We are looking for a change and this is a big move for us. Help!
You'll probably wanna look into moving to somewhere in the Triangle in NC or Charlotte. Much more opportunity, more and better schools, and more to do.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:12 AM

36 posts, read 37,203 times
NC has higher taxes, higher insurance costs, and housing costs. There isn't more to do there other than a NFL team is in Charlotte which is close enough for people in SC. Just more people and traffic in NC. Nothing against NC but it isn't superior to SC.

It would be easier to recommend specific cities if you give us more informatation about your hobbies and interests, do you want to be closer to the beach or mountains, that kind of thing.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:46 AM

Pinetree9,

Thank you for the information. My husband and I are very low key. He likes fishing. We are not really big beach people but maybe near lakes and walking trails.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Pinetree9,

Thank you for the information. My husband and I are very low key. He likes fishing. We are not really big beach people but maybe near lakes and walking trails.
Do you prefer bigger or smaller cities?

South Carolina has lakes all over the state.

Greenville - near mountains, nice downtown area, near Clemson Univeristy about 45 minutes away, 3 lakes are nearby including Keowee and Jocassee which are pristine lakes with clear water at the base of the mountains. Lake Hartwell is well known for bass fishing and several marinas.

Columbia - Lake Murray, and Lake Waterree are nearby. U. of South Carolina in town. More of a college town vibe downtown than Greenville or Charleston. SOme peoplel like this, others don't. Nice zoo in town.

Charlestion - near beach, he could fish in the rivers here, plus lake marion and moultrie are nearby. Charleston is real "historical" like Boston. You have more tourists here and traffic is worse than Greenville and COlumbia.

Rock Hill / Fort Mill - Lake Wylie is nearby, this is area of SC just south of Charlotte.

I think Florence, AIken, and Anderson are the best smaller cities in the state.

If you are low key than I think all of these cities would work for you. You can find walking trails in all of them.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:23 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,203,724 times
I would look into Fort Mill/Rock Hill area if I were you. Charlotte is very diverse and SC is cheaper to live in. You'll have best of both worlds.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:25 AM

Wow! This is a lot of great information. I would really prefer small town, small city. I am going to look into Florence, Aiken and Anderson. My husband can relocate but what about jobs? Possibly in Education.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:25 AM

3,200 posts, read 3,892,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
You'll probably wanna look into moving to somewhere in the Triangle in NC or Charlotte. Much more opportunity, more and better schools, and more to do.
I would agree with this. Charlotte and Raleigh offer much more than any of the SC metros. For schools, Charlotte is within 150 miles of UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake Forest, & South Carolina. Raleigh has 3 universities in the area.

homes....there is an abundance of homes in all price ranges and varieties

Diversity......no where in SC will have as much of a diverse population as Raleigh or Charlotte, they are high growth areas and attract folks from across the country and across the Carolinas.

Activities.........can't speak much for Raleigh but Charlotte has 3 lakes in Meck County, neighborhood parks, greenways (one of the largest greenways in SC is in Fort Mill), pro sports, international soccer games, multiple performing arts venues, AAA baseball, great restaurants, easy day trips due to location, a thriving downtown, great little leagues across the city, children art centers, dance companies, museums, and the list goes on.

COL.....the cost of living is not as high in Charlotte as it is in Raleigh and Charleston. But, Income levels are higher in Charlotte than they are in Charleston.

Job opportunities........Raleigh and Charlotte are way above others with regards to depth of the job market and diversity of jobs, this is not close.

Other items........access, Charlotte is a top 10 airport, retail is better in the NC cities. Charlotte has true mass transit, SC is decades away.

But, it all depends on what you value. One option in SC is Columbia. It has USC, great recreation opportunities, good job opportunities, good schools and a good quality of life.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Wow! This is a lot of great information. I would really prefer small town, small city. I am going to look into Florence, Aiken and Anderson. My husband can relocate but what about jobs? Possibly in Education.
Well you will just have to apply for jobs. I wish I could say you could get a job anywhere you want to live but that usually isn't the case for most people.

I would just decide which cities you think you could be happy in and then target employers in those cities. It might actually be easier to get a job in Education in a smaller city like FLorence and Aiken than a bigger one like Charlotte simply because smaller cities aren't on the radar for many people.

There will be other hispanics in any of the cities that I've listed above in SC and you can make friends with non-hispanics. I've lived all over the state, everybody is friendly for most part.

FLorence is a good pick if you like going to Mrytle Beach but don't want to live there. It is only 1 hour west of MB, but housing is much more affordable and you don't have to deal with the tourist traffic. Plus you would be right of 95 for trips back up north. They have converted an old railroad line into a walking trail calld Swamp Fox trail, I believe. You can also walk in Jeffries Creek State Park and other places. Lake Robinson is a smaller lake nearby in Hartsville and Santee is right up the road. You can definitely find some neighborhoods in FLorence with the houses spread out some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or