Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 02:21 PM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times

Advertisements

Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) has been quietly practicing a unique method of outreach to constituents.

A new profile from The Washington Post follows Scott as he takes a turn volunteering at a Goodwill center in Greenville, and talking to people there in order to learn about their stories — without actually telling them who he is.

In the almost year and a half since being appointed to the Senate by South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley, Scott, a conservative Republican, has embarked on an unconventional listening tour, wandering his state in blue jeans, talking to folks without ever saying who he is. He's mopped up the floors of a burrito joint, manned a shoe shop, and ridden the bus through rough neighborhoods in Charleston.

Scott, the only African-American Republican currently in Congress, is widely expected to be elected in his own right this November.

The undercover senator: Tim Scott goes anecdote shopping in South Carolina - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 06:08 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
So happy I voted for him when he was my representative and will vote for him when he runs for this seat.

I will say this about the article. I think what Senator Scott is doing is great. How many of us have complained that our government leaders are too detached and too far from real life to understand what it's like for the rest of us? Senator Scott is actually trying to see what life is like for his constituents. However, the Washington Post reporter called him a con artist, insinuated he was lying, and even tried to make the claim that Senator Scott, a black man, was racist. The sad part is that even though he's doing something great, if this was a Democrat doing this, he would be hailed as the next coming of Jesus but with it being a Republican, they try everything they can to make him look bad. This article, even with its slanted writing, makes me even more confident that my vote was cast well and continuing to vote for him will be a great decision.

Last edited by southbel; 05-06-2014 at 06:25 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 07:11 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,750 times
I'll say he's going through the right motions.. but how he votes and the legislation he supports/proposes is the real test. I'm NOT talking about voting party lines. I'm talking about ignoring the lobbyist and doing what's right for the voters.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:43 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Talking a good talk, let's see if he walks the good walk....

Old 05-07-2014, 02:12 PM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I'll say he's going through the right motions.. but how he votes and the legislation he supports/proposes is the real test. I'm NOT talking about voting party lines. I'm talking about ignoring the lobbyist and doing what's right for the voters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Talking a good talk, let's see if he walks the good walk....
Both good points...well said!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:17 PM

207 posts, read 273,002 times
Hes got my vote so far...

Old 05-09-2014, 04:39 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Even if I disagree with his politics, it's still good to see a politician get out there and try to connect with the people on a truly personal level.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:13 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I think Scott has forgotten his roots/history as to what party/leaders made it possible for him to get where he has gotten.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:23 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I think Scott has forgotten his roots/history as to what party/leaders made it possible for him to get where he has gotten.
Don't know about Tim Scott? It was a Republican who mentored him, believed in him, and showed him that he could indeed pull himself up by his bootstraps and was not destined to be a criminal (where he was headed before he met this Republican). I think he is honoring the roots and history of the Republican party (the party that freed the slaves). So, I believe your comment is ignorant of both history and Scott's personal history.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:02 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,750 times
As a voter, I decide what is right in my view. Feel free to do the same.

I have a problem with money buying votes and providing prewritten legislation. I have no issue with individuals working with their reps, nor donating money. I do have problem with the legal reality of corporations being considered legal entities to spend millions standing up fake think tanks, astroturf, all to give politicians cover. I guess if our politicians had less self interest and more common man interest the lobby issue would solve itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina